MSI gx740 tuning/upgrade options

fs7halkx2

Hi,

I own gx740 with i5-430m, 4GB RAM, and I planned to do some upgrades.

Currently I did:

- upgrade SSD, move HDD to dvd drive space

- have some unlocked bios (but didn't found usage for it currently)

- have modified vbios but not sure if the values I've used are good

I was thinking about:

- upgrading CPU to i7-640M

- upgrading RAM (not sure which will fit)

I would like to also:

- fix broken/cracked frame around screen, but it wont be easy and cheap I guess?

- replace screen to something brighter (?) but this will probably not be worth the cost

1) What do you guys think about it? Is it even worth?

2) I've also see something like 'grain effect' moving grey stripes on same page elements (long time I remember it could be related to faulty bios/vbios)?

Edited by fs7halkx2

No idea for how much money you can get an i7 640m, but everything over 20€ would not be very sensible. Since you have an unlocked BIOS, have you tried to OC your CPU? You might get the same performance as the i7 640m with ~600 MHz OC on your current CPU. You also could buy an i7 720qm which would give you a better single and multicore performance, since it has 4C/8T and a 2.8 GHz boost clock. I can get one for around 20€ in my country.

Upgrading RAM is a good idea. You should check how many modules are present in your laptop, because your motherboard has only 2 slots. If it's a 2x 2GB configuration, you could buy a 4 GB module and try to sell the leftover 2 GB module. Check the RAM info in the BIOS or with CPU-Z (Memory-Tab), then you will know what fits.  I've a similar laptop with the same motherboard (Terra Mobile 1772) and I did the same thing. I put an SSD in it, upgraded the RAM (3GB to 6GB, for me it was a 4GB SO-DIMM DDR-3 CL7 module, 25€ new) and swapped out the i3 370m for an i5 520m (10€), which I plan to overclock a bit more when I get hands on an unlocked BIOS. 

Do you have any pictures of the cracked frame around the screen? Maybe you are able to fix it by yourself. My screen is also not the brightest, but my panel can be overclocked to 100hz which is nice. I think swaping out the screen is not worth the cost.

greetings

Edited by Michael_K

On 13.8.2018 at 3:36 PM, Michael_K said:

[...] I plan to overclock a bit more when I get hands on an unlocked BIOS. 

Even with the unlocked BIOS there seems no way to push up the voltage for any of the components. You could try "setfsb_2_2_134_98" with the "ICS9LPRS113AKLF" or "ICS9LPRS133BKLF" clock generator to increase the FSB. I was able to push it from 133 MHz to 143 MHz (stable) which results in a 200 MHz OC per Core but thats it. Maybe you have more luck.

3 hours ago, Michael_K said:

Even with the unlocked BIOS there seems no way to push up the voltage for any of the components. You could try "setfsb_2_2_134_98" with the "ICS9LPRS113AKLF" or "ICS9LPRS133BKLF" clock generator to increase the FSB. I was able to push it from 133 MHz to 143 MHz (stable) which results in a 200 MHz OC per Core but thats it. Maybe you have more luck.

Turned out that my 2 GB RAM module was causing the blue screens when I go higher than 145 MHz FSB. Im currently at 160 Mhz FSB which results in a 3.5 GHz single core turbo and 3.2 GHz multi core turbo. I am using an i5 520m which has a default speed of 2.4 GHz (2.9 GHz single turbo, 2.66 GHz multi turbo). I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Michael_K

@Michael_K I appreciate you replied, thanks! I'm now reading then I will edit :)

right you basically wrote everything I did hah :), I use setfsb, I lower some values in vbios, and as you said, yep probably investing more into this old laptop is not worth unfortunately.

Btw unocked BIOS (not vbios) I'ts not giving me too much options, I'm not sure if you are familiar and also have it.

I also agree about setfsb, exactly same values! 160 is max.

Overclocking LCD panel is nice right I can also handle 100Hz (CRU utility right).

I don't have pic of panel, but it's front left frame, and also something weird on back :(.

I'll gues I did even too much to OC this old laptop :). I think soon I need to again change thermal pads, because it's getting hot as hell, currently I swapped thermalpads under gpu for thermal paste (lol) it was working far better for like 2 years.

Edited by fs7halkx2

@Michael_K other question, do you maybe know something about like: 'granulation artifacts' moving pixels (mostly visible on grey images)

Long time ago (years ago) I read some topic about it but currently I'm not able to find it.

And for my VBIOS I currently use the one from GX660 (I don't remember why but when i've obtained it years ago there was some talk that latest for GX740 _31 ver was bad for OC) - maybe you know something.

@fs7halkx2 I get a maximum Cinebench R15 score of 246cb which is fine for me. I should mention that I've re-applied thermal paste (Noctua NT-H1) for the CPU and GPU. I also cut out a hole where the fan is positioned because the fan can't suck all the air through the tiny holes at higher RPMs. Furthermore, I put some higher feets under the laptop so that the air gap is bigger which results in a much better air flow at high RPMs. Under full load with maximum overclock I get ~75°C cpu temp at 22°C ambient temp and the fan is able to speed faster.

I have the same problem with the unlocked BIOS, I also unlocked some additional features myself but it doesn't look like that we are able to change v-core, FSB, multiplier or RAM settings. I bet my CPU could handle 3.8-4.0 GHz with some additional voltage, which would be absolutely insane.

For LCD overclock i use also CRU and the Nvidia driver, both work flawlessly.

Regarding granulation artifacts: When did they appear? You could try to clean the mxm port and the gpu contacts, but I highly doubt that this will solve your problem. If they occured directly after flashing a vbios, maybe you could try a different one. I only got a Nvidia GTS 250m in my laptop (which I initially wanted to replace with a quadro k2100m, it didn't work or the card is broken) and I've never experienced that problem. At least the 250m is 25% overclockable, but it's still bad :D

At some point in the future we should buy a "new" laptop and keep this one as a backup. A decent gaming laptop would be i.e. the Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC-GC204T 17.3" (AMD Radeon RX 580 (Laptop), AMD Ryzen 5 1600) which currently costs only 899€ in my country.

Edited by Michael_K