nVidia vs AMD: Your pick and why.

I have AMD right now due to pricing and also because I disagree with Nvidia's business strategy. Nvidia is more focused on destroying the competition with proprietary tech and paying for proprietary optimizations. Such as certain shadow rendering and AA that have hardware ID check.

But may switch to Nvidia next year if AMD can't fix Enduro.

Valid point, and AMD mobile cards are a great value (after 13.1 that is) but I still value performance over a company's business strategy. Nvidia makes the better gaming GPU, so I plan on sticking with them for the forseeable future. I had too many issues with me old 7970m, while my last two 680m-equipped laptops have been completely stable and problem-free. They overclock a hell of a lot better as well.

Yep, value is nice, but there is a lot to be said for quality and performance. I don't like the price, but at the end of the day I think they're worth every penny.

So, what's wrong with a business strategy and mission to destroy their competitors? I actually agree with that business strategy wholeheartedly. In practice I want AMD to continue to exist so that NVIDIA has fierce competition and continues striving to dominate AMD in terms of performance and quality. There cannot be any degree of comfort, friendliness or truce between competitors in any business lest they become very ordinary and leave consumers holding the bag with sucky products.

But, their customers can and should be civilized to one another. We need each other buying both brands to keep both AMD and NVIDA tearing at one another's throats.

My last two cards have been Nvidia. I just purchased an Acer 3-571g with an GT 640m and I7. I also own a desktop with A EVGA GTS 250. I had used AMD previous to those two selections. Overall over the last two years I've been very happy overall with the Nvidia chips. This GT 640m performs just as well as my GTS 250, which is a little shocking. I agree about overall driver support. I had small issues with AMD when I owned them. I've had zero issues with Nvidia the last 2 or 3 years.

I used to be an ATI guy way back when Radeon was in it's infancy. Now though, I prefer nVidia due to better driver support and all around good performance. I haven't built a desktop in over 8 years or so and have been gaming mostly on laptops (my current one being a G75VW with a GTX 600m), so I don't exactly know if ATI have stepped up their game on the driver side, but I distinctly remember their drivers not being that great even before AMD acquired ATI.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty fluid when it comes to what I buy, looking at what gets me the most bang for my buck when I do my purchases. My last desktop was dual 5870s, and I would have liked to have stayed with AMD, but I didn't really see any worthwhile upgrades from that and ended up selling the desktop. Went with nVidia this go around since the Sager I'm running had to be configured with them for 3D.

I've used both NVIDIA and AMD cards and my pick goes to the former.

Their driver support is simply brilliant, even for the old cards and the performance gains in subsequent driver releases is also astounding. My overclocked ancient 9500 GT could barely run some of 2011 games (ACR, FIFA 12, ACB) at low settings but the driver releases allowed me to push it to low-middish.

The GUI of the control panel is also far more intuitive in my opinion than AMD's(which only recently sort of improved) and easily graspable. When it comes to choosing performance per dollar, AMD emerges as a winner here. Though its somewhat less powerful, for a person with a low budget its a life saver but if you have the money, you can't go wrong with choosing NVIDIA.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it comes down to budget and CPU Choice. If your on a tight budget AMD is your best bet, The APU gives decent performance on a tight budget. If you have a little more money you can get an APU and a descret video card like a 7670M and run in hybrid crossfire. My 7660G and 7670M gave me the performance of an 8800Gt. If budget is no concern Nvida all the way, I love them have always loved them...

Well... for me it's nVidia, although once I had a bittersweet experience... I bought one expensive card, many years ago, and was happy with it, till 3 days later, I see the new version of the card, cheaper than mine, and also, my card was less than half the price...damn...

For now, I can say that my first experience with SLI is working nice and flawless, and the graphical quality is astonishing ... Tomb Raider is just gorgeous!!!! :)

I've generally seen better legacy support with NVIDIA cards. I had a 2007 Dell desktop until recently and ATI/AMD issued the last "legacy" driver only two years after I got the machine -- and it was buggier than the previous version. Switched to NVIDIA and haven't had trouble since.

AMD cards are cheap but I prefer nvidia because they update more often theirs drivers (nonetheless amd is better than before on this point) and the tool nvidiainspector is useful to change with accuracy some parameters per game.

I was originally in the Nvidia camp when I first got into selecting my own GPU's. Then for a while I swapped to ATI (because my first gaming laptop used ATI). Recently I've been back to Nvidia though because they are just more stable overall these days with optimus and stuff. Their drivers are better as well.

I've had nVidia for like 15 years or more.... I have never bought an ATI card yet to date. While each I'm sure has its pros and cons, I'm just stubborn I think. NVidia seems to always have the best tech, things like sli and physix for example.

Having used both myself. Ati has always been more cheaper in price but driver issues especially in crossfire has always been a pain. Sure NVidia has it sli problems too but not nearly as bad as crossfire. Also after dual 6990m the heat on those things was nuts. Nvidia cards seem to run cooler and more efficient. I'd love to see better driver support on amd side.

Nvidia is still more reliable in terms of drivers and compatibility. Also if you plan on doing a hackintosh (installing OS X on your laptop) definitely go with Nvidia.

For pure gaming horsepower to cost ratio AMD is definitely the winner.

• 2 weeks later...

As of right now I would have to say nVidia. I use to be a big fan of ATi cards, but after numerous driver and game issues I made the switch and never looked back. I'm not saying Ati cards arent any good now, I just prefer the drivers and quality of nVidia cards.