BSOD's whith OEM 2960

Thumper_23

So I bought an OEM 2960 to replace my ES2960. The reason I did that was because I heard an OEM won't use as much juice when overclocking.I ran some benches with it and discovered that I could not go over 44 on 4 cores or I'd get a BSOD.Even 45 on 1 and 44 on 3 no good.With my ES I could go as high as 46x4 with no problems.I sent the OEM back to my friend and now I'm back on the ES.

Thumper_23 said:
So I bought an OEM 2960 to replace my ES2960. The reason I did that was because I heard an OEM won't use as much juice when overclocking.I ran some benches with it and discovered that I could not go over 44 on 4 cores or I'd get a BSOD.Even 45 on 1 and 44 on 3 no good.With my ES I could go as high as 46x4 with no problems.I sent the OEM back to my friend and now I'm back on the ES.

someone misinformed you both es and oem XM take whatever you set them to since they are unlocked one doesnt use less power and both use whatever you set them to use... Maybe what they misinterpreted is that a certain clas of ES 2920XM can only use 99watt max and 1.3511v... Because full es samples that match their oem brothers draw constant wattage as high as 122watts straight can be close to 130 but it throttles wattage up and down 122 watts can be sustained higher it will fluctuate.... Unclewebb spoke of this and its completely true from testing i have done. The oem and full es can use upto 1.52v unlike certain ES not sure they may be called qualitative samples.

Im sorry to say that didnt indicate that your es chip or your oem was better. Perhaps the ES was a better sample and used less voltage than OEM. None of the chips by es or oem are better... each chip handles different and thats all it comes down to. It could be your ES is better than the oem you tried... As for the bsods all you needed to do was turn flex up a little from 0-12flex is most 4.5should need. If one number watts or amps was different in comparison it can bsod at lower speeds just the same it depends on current temp every milisec in a sense, the speed currently watts its pulling , volts its using (vid or turbo flex voltage) and amps running (based on limits). A chip can run 4.5ghz and take 0 flex given less than 99watts and not indefinately as temps rise your cpu requires higher vid to keep it stable for same frequency and load... Some es are equal others wont use above 99watts or cant use over 1.3511v which your es must be same as the oems.... Brian got a sample like that which isnt oem but is same exact thing of the 2920XM. My 2960xm oem has ran as high as 5.160ghz 8thread wprime 32m its not oem issue :) can you retest that oem? If he was charging a lot dont bother your es is probably same potential... but you never know with using correct voltage that oem might or might not be equal or better... My slowest performing xm was one of the oem 2920xm i used and the lowest one ran atleast 4.9ghz 8thread 32m and pretty much any of these have been running 4.5ghz with either lower watt limit and 0 flex or a higher watt limit and up to 10flex...(the later running 4.5ghz in heavier apps with just slight bit of added heat. Let us know here if you need any help working with your XM :)

Iloveboobs im sorry i hope sometime you find a es and give a go... Like Michael and Brian they can run 4.1ghz 24/7 without a sweat:) and the es is cheaper and faster than a 2860qm :)

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I have seen on the M17x R3, to run on 4.5Ghz or higher, one needs to increase the Flex (voltage). By run, I mean literally run at 4.5Ghz all cores, so that Throttlestop would report a constant 45 FID. The BSODs you are getting indicate that the CPU needs more voltage.

From my experience @ 4.5Ghz I needed 6 Flex, 4.6Ghz I needed 12 Flex. The Vantage score on 4.6Ghz was the same as 4.5Ghz 'cause temps on 4th core was 100C, chip was just not coping. 4.5ghz seemed the max possible I could push it as the cooling in the M17x R3 is just not as good as the M18x - mw86 - you should borrow someones M17x R3 and give yourself a challenge, it's very different to the M18x. :)

1000 PriPlane, 6 Flex, 10019 BCLK... 4.5Ghz - http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z92/chaotic_george/VantageTemps.png

1000 PriPlane, 12 Flex, 10019 BCLK... 4.6Ghz - http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4352/98361236.png

@OP. I can guarantee you that with stock cooling you will not be able to run the 2 Vantage CPU tests at 4.6Ghz. You will get a thermal shutdown.

Also OEM vs QS comparison, when set at the exact same settings I noticed the OEM chip getting a better score (but then again that was probably a better chip in general). It would be fun to do a more in depth comparison though.

Edited by GeoCake
  • Thumbs Up 2

GeoCake said:
From what I have seen on the M17x R3, to run on 4.5Ghz or higher, one needs to increase the Flex (voltage). By run, I mean literally run at 4.5Ghz all cores, so that Throttlestop would report a constant 45 FID. The BSODs you are getting indicate that the CPU needs more voltage.

From my experience @ 4.5Ghz I needed 6 Flex, 4.6Ghz I needed 12 Flex. The Vantage score on 4.6Ghz was the same as 4.5Ghz 'cause temps on 4th core was 100C, chip was just not coping. 4.5ghz seemed the max possible I could push it as the cooling in the M17x R3 is just not as good as the M18x - mw86 - you should borrow someones M17x R3 and give yourself a challenge, it's very different to the M18x. :)

1000 PriPlane, 6 Flex, 10019 BCLK... 4.5Ghz - http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z92/chaotic_george/VantageTemps.png

1000 PriPlane, 12 Flex, 10019 BCLK... 4.6Ghz - http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4352/98361236.png

@OP. I can guarantee you that with stock cooling you will not be able to run the 2 Vantage CPU tests at 4.6Ghz. You will get a thermal shutdown.

Also OEM vs QS comparison, when set at the exact same settings I noticed the OEM chip getting a better score (but then again that was probably a better chip in general). It would be fun to do a more in depth comparison though.

i completely agree Geocake about all that you posted. :) yeah M18x has quite a decent xm heatsink. I dont know anyone with a m17x r3 local lol. geocake it is quite a challenge lol the ranges ive gone on m18x too :) if i go 4.5 there isnt as much trouble but what fun would there be in that. @OP follow geocakes recomendations those are good. Geocake id love to bench an M17x too lol i did on m17x r2 got 8k physics 3dmark11 ;) on a 920XM :) honestly though m18x for long term overclock isnt easily used at those 4.6ghz ranges either. About my original post just wanted to indicate if your not talking about what model computer you have and just about the cpu... thats what the above was about that an actual 2920xm and 2960xm can get much higher ranges without bsod and they do it with add turbo overvoltage. Geocake you elaborated on what settings will work good on the m17x r3 and that chip and that should be very helpful to Thumper thanks geocake mine takes about the same voltage... if a chip isnt as effecient and or runs a bit hotter i can say 4.5ghz may start to take over 6flex and could instead be as high as 10flex... in the end testing it is your best bet and additionally try to ensure conditions are similar for comparison. Thanks GeoCake i think you and Widezu have done an awesome job working with and overclocking the M17x R3.

edit: the lowest ive broken 30k vantage physics with these cpus is actually 4.3ghz and as you go up its just like you showed geocake as you go higher score is close to same or a little lower. Not possible necessarily on R3 but given proper cooling and enough volt about 32k physics should be aquired at 4.8+ghz 8thread. As mentioned given R3's cooling 4.6ghz may be the limits of the thermal cooling. You guys have fastest R3 setups around i mean Widezu has a nice 20k vantage on a single gpu thats crazy. Nice job guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thumper_23 said:

[offtopic] hey nice ram what do you think of your new corsair vengeance 1866mhz? I am picking some up because of the 1866@10-10-10-27 can i ask how much and where you bought it from. I found 8gb dual channel kit of them is $92 on amazon. Also i read the heatsink is not a metal heatsink but a simple sticker unlike hyperx ram... do you know if this is true?

edit: where is flex?

Go into bios, go to second tab from top left you should see speedstep, turbo, hard drive setup (raid, ata, ahci) and overclocking.

Go into that and enable overclocking :) leave non turbo flex to disabled go and set byour multipliers and under the multipliers above baseclock you should see "turbo flex vid" (overvoltage for turbo ranges) this is flex that we refer to it says 25 if you set level 3 overclock and 0 if you dont select a preset and points in between for level 1 and 2 overclock. Set the multipliers manually by using + and - buttons over them set them i guess to 45x and set flex to 6 and hit f10 let it restart.

Next this is due to certain ram combos and may be unnecessary but you should check first to be sure... Reenter bios right after that restart go to the same menu check that the ram speed, voltage and if using one xmp or manual latency is set how you had it.. If not correct and hit f10... If you change baseclock same thing may be needed just a heads up :)

The Corsair Vengeance 1866 are beast and can be flashed to CL9 thanks to Thaiphoon Burner. No heatsinks though, just stickers.

post-2089-1449499274185_thumb.jpg

Also I'll take a few pics to answer Ops question about Flex/PriPlane later, already PMed him answer but this thread could do with pics.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Corsair Vengeance 1866 are beast and can be flashed to CL9 thanks to Thaiphoon Burner. No heatsinks though, just stickers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3641[/ATTACH]

Also I'll take a few pics to answer Ops question about Flex/PriPlane later, already PMed him answer but this thread could do with pics.

Thank you and please do i have some in m18x guides in my signature but am on phone so its not a easy to add... yes we need pics of flex location... actually both locations are very important i think you know i mean the one under "perfromance options" heading with flex and mem settings only in it that one. Thanks geocake do you also have those corsair? I am shocked flash ram to cl9 thats sweet can you make a guide pretty please :) SSG is getting vengeance 1600mhz can he flash a lower latency :) we both would appreciate it. :) thanks Geocake you da man :)

I would love to get the Vengeance 1866Mhz. I currently have limited edition HyperX 1866Mhz @CL9 ones but they aren't stable at that speed so I use them at 1600Mhz. I run them at the higher speed when benching. Someone needs to post a guide on flashing Vengeance 1866Mhz ones to CL9.

I would love to get the Vengeance 1866Mhz. I currently have limited edition HyperX 1866Mhz @CL9 ones but they aren't stable at that speed so I use them at 1600Mhz. I run them at the higher speed when benching. Someone needs to post a guide on flashing Vengeance 1866Mhz ones to CL9.

interesting only heard of hyperx cL11 @ 1866mhz interesting. :) vengeance look like beasts. Congrats again on 20k vantage single gpu.

• 1 month later...
http://softnology.biz/work/CMSX8GX3M2A1866C10.zip - Corsair 1866Mhz improved *.thp profile

Guide to flashing it:

got my first 8gb of Corsair 1866 :) gonna load it tonight now I need to buy Thaiphoon Burner and waiting on ordering another 8gb :) I noticed in the tutorial XMP2 will put it in 2133mhz :o is that correct :) once fixed with Thaiphoon Burner

Haha, since then I flashed my HyperX 1600 PnP to HyperX 1866 PnP. Working flawlessly.

Since you have an M18x you should be able to run at 2133, johnksss confirmed it somewhere on NBR. Have fun. :)

Haha, since then I flashed my HyperX 1600 PnP to HyperX 1866 PnP. Working flawlessly.

Since you have an M18x you should be able to run at 2133, johnksss confirmed it somewhere on NBR. Have fun. :)

so sweet thought so also based on that Thaiphoon burner video I saw I can make XMP2 2133 :) Thanks again and awesome Geocake... post some bench results here so we all can see the various performances of these ram modules :) if you have free time to do so sometime :) pretty please :)http://forum.techinferno.com/storage/450-just-bought-my-incoming-m18x-2.html#post20530 if we all post our ram types benches it will help others in their purchases. saw those chips you bought for about $70 for 8gb :)