Aspire E5-553G: Decrease Hardware Reserved Memory

potvinp

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to decrease the amount of hardware-reserved memory on my Acer Aspire E5-553G-T87A laptop. My laptop has 8GB of DDR4 memory installed, but for some reason 4.1GB of it is hardware-reserved. See attached images for the specs of my computer.

My laptop had 7.66GB of usable RAM for a year after I first bought it, but I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro when it started having problems with the O/S. After I performed the clean install is when I noticed that only 3.9GB were available. I ran Memtest+86 and the RAM did not have any problems/errors. I also went into msconfig and unticked the Maximum Memory box as some people recommended, but that did not fix the problem. The O/S is installed on a 120GB SSD, but I don't see any problems with that. I've re-installed the O/S multiple times, which also didn't fix the problem. I've ran out of ideas as to how to fix this.

Any suggestions?

CPU-Z - Integrated Graphics.PNG

CPU-Z - Memory.PNG

CPU-Z - SPD Slot 1.PNG

CPU-Z - SPD Slot 2.PNG

Task Manager - Memory.PNG

• Bios Modder

Hi!

Try go in bios setup menu, and on the last page "Save and Exit" set "Default Settings", then push F10 button to save, then Enter.

2 hours ago, Klem said:

Hi!

Try go in bios setup menu, and on the last page "Save and Exit" set "Default Settings", then push F10 button to save, then Enter.

Just tried that, and my laptop still says that 4.1GB of memory is hardware reserved. Any other ideas?

• 1 year later...

Hey, I realize this is nearly two years old, but did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same problem and it is infuriating, since this model laptop doesn't have an advanced tab in BIOS to deactivate the onboard graphics.

28 minutes ago, Breatnach said:

Hey, I realize this is nearly two years old, but did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same problem and it is infuriating, since this model laptop doesn't have an advanced tab in BIOS to deactivate the onboard graphics.

I tried everything I could that was mentioned on the internet, but it turned out the issue was with the stick of RAM itself that had gone bad. I picked up a brand-new 4GB stick and had no more problems afterwards - the Hardware Reserved Memory was no longer as high as it was, and was back at normal limits.