EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
ServusFidelis

Just got a 980m for m18xr2. 8 beeps.

My 675m showed lines all across the screen but did let me go into bios.  I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a 980m and finally got it in the mail.   

I installed the carf and i now get 8 beeps.   So I reset the CMOS and still 8 beeps.      I’m now tearing it back down to put the 675m back in. (I’ll finish after work).   I have bios a12 currently.  

What at exactly do I need to do?   

Any my help would be greatly appreciated.   Will post on YouTube when and if I can get it to work with your help.  

Thanks.  

3 hours ago, ServusFidelis said:

My 675m showed lines all across the screen but did let me go into bios.  I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a 980m and finally got it in the mail.   

I installed the carf and i now get 8 beeps.   So I reset the CMOS and still 8 beeps.      I’m now tearing it back down to put the 675m back in. (I’ll finish after work).   I have bios a12 currently.  

What at exactly do I need to do?   

Any my help would be greatly appreciated.   Will post on YouTube when and if I can get it to work with your help.  

Thanks.  

Hi!

Just flash mod bios:  

Thanks Klem!  I will download that into a flash drive with the 675m in , go into bios, and update it.   Then I’ll put the 980m back in.  Will do tonight.   Will report my progress.   Thanks!

On 7/14/2018 at 1:00 PM, Klem said:

Hi!

Just flash mod bios:  

Well no more 8 beeps and the screen comes on and boots into Windows.    The only problem now is the Alienware doesn’t detect a discrete graphics card in the bios and simply loads the intel 4000 graphics.        Any idea what could be the issue?    

E0B5A7B7-F986-4078-9389-A39F907C2614.jpeg

Go in bios setup menu and set graphic from IGFX  to  PEG.

6 hours ago, Klem said:

Go in bios setup menu and set graphic from IGFX  to  PEG.

If it’s not one thing it’s another klem.  Now after a few seconds of seeing lines in Windows the mouse will freeze and a message about the video card comes up and sometimes the screen goes purple.   When the computer does start you see these lines as well.      Do you think I got a bad card?    

FC625A92-CE32-4490-8017-0815C6186359.jpeg

CF60251F-9E6B-4E9B-8B8B-E8E2070A091E.jpeg

Edited by ServusFidelis

Try to disassembly laptop, then clean all gold contacts on MXM graphics card, then reinsert graphics card.

37 minutes ago, Klem said:

Try to disassembly laptop, then clean all gold contacts on MXM graphics card, then reinsert graphics card.

Thank you sir.  I will do that after work.  You’re a big help. 

8 hours ago, Klem said:

Well I did that and I still get the lines in peg mod and then it either locks up or shows me a solid colored screen.      The last card in it was a 675m and it started to show lines as well.     Do you think the motherboard is bad?   

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Klem said:

Klem... i noticed when i turn off PEG and put it back to the intel graphics the screen looks fine, but when i switch to peg the lines appear and sometimes fluctuate...and the computer normally locks up.  So i guess peg mode using the gtx is giving issues.   The bios does show that the GTX nvidia is installed when i restart in PEG though.   I wonder if it's the card (unlikely since the last card showed the same lines), or the motherboard?

Or could their possibly be a loose cable behind the screen?   But if that were the case wouldn't the integrated intel 4000 graphics also show lines?

Edited by ServusFidelis

Unfortunately i don't know what the problem in your case, motherboard or your 980M. But you can try  to flash Dell's vbios for your 980M, and then check if it solve your problem.

15 hours ago, Klem said:

Unfortunately i don't know what the problem in your case, motherboard or your 980M. But you can try  to flash Dell's vbios for your 980M, and then check if it solve your problem.

I tried to install the modded driver and this happens.   The screen lines go away and everything looks perfect for a couple of seconds,  then these squares pop up , the computer locks up, and then blue screen, always before the driver installs completely.             Sometimes the computer just locks up with squares and no blue screen.  

B28482FC-66D0-4984-9700-7E76C2120846.jpeg

6989BD80-7C3B-42F5-A4D9-122D191F48BA.jpeg

Edited by ServusFidelis

27 minutes ago, naightmehr said:

Looks like a faulty graphics card, where did you buy the 980m from?

Mokkin on eBay.     However my 675m was showing lines as well.   2 bad gpus?    I have a 765m I’ll throw in there after work to see.      

Ram couldnt cause this right?

Edited by ServusFidelis

Does your gtx675m show lines after you installed the correct drivers? If 3 gpu's show lines then it might be something else

7 hours ago, naightmehr said:

Does your gtx675m show lines after you installed the correct drivers? If 3 gpu's show lines then it might be something else

I just installed a 765m and it works flawlessly.  No artifacts or lines.   The brand new 980m must be faulty.    I will put it back in one more time but I don’t think the 980m will work.    Here is a picture of the 765m.  No lines, no squares, no artifacts.   Looks great.  Can use the computer too!      So I just need a working 980m now.  

0F69833C-812B-4D81-98A4-2D089D77C4B3.jpeg