I will love to hear some comments on molding this machine ( changing grafique card to GTX560? Also curios to know if the GTX555 card can be overclocked?)

Regards JCarlos

why certainly you should be able to overclock both those types of cards. Whats your base setup my friend :) or is that what you have the x51 base config?

Edited by mw86

Yes reviewers on some sites have taken out the 555 and replaced it with their own GTX 560 Ti. Some even have SuperClocked editions and it worked fine. Remember it only uses the 330w card that the M18x has. But someone skilled at modding could probably do something about that. Perhaps even sticking a GTX 560 Ti 448 core version.

The power supply is definitely a limiting factor. Might have better luck with the upcoming graphics cards that will use less power.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

im with you man :) next gen low power gpus will bring some nice benefits :)

Edited by mw86

I haven't buy it jet, but im considering in doing so, im just waiting to see more users making comments on it as it is new and been so small i want to make sure what others users will say about Temps.

I also read in one review that one person say he did change the grafic card for the GTX 560it, but he only say so and never reply to any of other users questions so it is not a real probe that it really works and even if it would im sure the temps would be way to high.

So you guys are saying there will be some new Cards on the way, that's good news !!!

I'm not a big fan of hardware-heaven reviews... especially not since I've read the M18x review there. :61:

I've heard good things about the X51, but it's not my kind of PC. If I remember correctly I read a user review somewhere, and the author tried to put a 560ti in it, but it didn't fit. Dunno whether I can find the link again...

I'm not a big fan of hardware-heaven reviews... especially not since I've read the M18x review there. :61:

I've heard good things about the X51, but it's not my kind of PC. If I remember correctly I read a user review somewhere, and the author tried to put a 560ti in it, but it didn't fit. Dunno whether I can find the link again...

yeah id rather have a giant tower like conkers as to fit giant Mars cards (gt580m) :) and yes SVL7 hardware heaven review leaves a foul taste in the mouth hahaha hmm who had a good m18x hardware review? Oh yeah Tech Inferno... Lol just sayin

• Founder

LOL I remember their M18x review, that thing was a disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

There Alienware reviews are always terrible, me being on a limited budget and tired of trying texture mods for ME2, overclocking a i7 720Q and a 5870 and still getting terrible results i ordered one of these yeah a evga 560 ti superclocked 150 watt probably will do a the trick they put in one of them in their teardown videos. And never having the space for a desktop this was the best shot and budget limited also so i hope i like it for the mods and other gaming in the future.

Very nice i can't wait to try that out someday and damn very nice machine totally speced out with a extreme processor wish i had the money to do that type of thing never had the opportunity and money to play around with an extreme processor how does that handle with video editing, converting normal bootups game load times etc...?

You will not be able to put an extreme processor in it. The only desktop extreme processor of the current generation is the 3960X and it needs a X79 board. The X51 is a Z68 board. Plus the PSU will no where support it. It has enough trouble keeping up with a normal i7 2600 and 560 Ti. An i7 2600 is plenty. It is not overclockable because it doesn't have the K suffix meaning that it isn't unlocked. I say you leave everything as it is, maybe if you can, get some fast 1.35v ram. Then wait for the new Kepler cards to come out. You may see greater than GTX 580 performance within the 560 power envelope with the newer cards.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was talking about your R3! reread my post again lolz Yeah i know that i couldn't afford the 2600 i just got the i5 instead 6 gigs of ram and yeah the 560 ti and 555 can be overclocked pretty high and not to mention modified drivers. I really don't care for optimus and putting it in a desktop is pretty stupid not meant for that. Keepler cards huh what's that? This my first desktop ever i hate those huge bulky things and i'm really mobile i been carrying around my G73JH a lot lately.

OOOh right! Sorry! LOL! Yeah the XM is overkill really. I only got it to prove to the forums it could be done in an R3 and not just the M18x. Doesn't really affect boot and load times but it's good for what I do :)

Ah okay i see well do you do video editing, heavy video editing, play a lot of strategy games cause that processor would benefit from that type of gaming and type of performance also why i want that X51 for the recent Total War games that will benefit from a desktop processor. What do you do on your R3? Do you have any plans on modding the screen putting a better one in?

I do gaming and general use on my R3. I do run a script when watching videos converting 24fps movies to 120fps (like on modern TVs) and that uses CPU and GPU too. I have my CPU normally at 3.7Ghz on 4 cores all the way up to 4Ghz on one core. Works very well that way.

As for the screen, the 3D display is pretty nice. The only other screen I would consider modding in would be the IPS RGBLED from the M6600 if I can get my hands on one. I would also love a higher res screen. A 2560x1440 (16:9, 16:10 won't fit). Hopefully we'll see newer resolutions in the revisions to come although I don't think so :(

• 3 weeks later...
You will not be able to put an extreme processor in it. The only desktop extreme processor of the current generation is the 3960X and it needs a X79 board. The X51 is a Z68 board. Plus the PSU will no where support it. It has enough trouble keeping up with a normal i7 2600 and 560 Ti. An i7 2600 is plenty. It is not overclockable because it doesn't have the K suffix meaning that it isn't unlocked. I say you leave everything as it is, maybe if you can, get some fast 1.35v ram. Then wait for the new Kepler cards to come out. You may see greater than GTX 580 performance within the 560 power envelope with the newer cards.

Yeah i got it now having fraking pink screen's of death idiot really idiotic why these people rush these products out without truly testing it out, it happens mostly when full screening on youtube i am running the newest drivers for nvidia, i overclock here and there when needed. Yes i want to get the i7 2600 i only have the Core i5 it's very fast i love it but yeah eventually to have plenty and the best the 2600 is the best option and i will have to read about the newest cards and have a power draw of only 150w, i will have to look into fast 1.35v ram, they say max is 8 but the alien optosy says 16 so annoying why they always do that. You could always get the dream color screen mod it with that, akimoix however you spell his name he did that with the M18X but yeah go for the ips m6600 best option also, check out the HP ZR2740W pretty high res ips for 800 dollars.

Added after 7 minutes:

Also when i run a clean install of nvidia graphics driver update the screen goes blank and i really can't really do a clean install very frustrating, i don't want to be installing new graphics ontop of each other there's a new one out.

Edited by freedomofthedarkendheart

Yeah i got it now having fraking pink screen's of death idiot really idiotic why these people rush these products out without truly testing it out, it happens mostly when full screening on youtube i am running the newest drivers for nvidia, i overclock here and there when needed. Yes i want to get the i7 2600 i only have the Core i5 it's very fast i love it but yeah eventually to have plenty and the best the 2600 is the best option and i will have to read about the newest cards and have a power draw of only 150w, i will have to look into fast 1.35v ram, they say max is 8 but the alien optosy says 16 so annoying why they always do that. You could always get the dream color screen mod it with that, akimoix however you spell his name he did that with the M18X but yeah go for the ips m6600 best option also, check out the HP ZR2740W pretty high res ips for 800 dollars.

Added after 7 minutes:

Also when i run a clean install of nvidia graphics driver update the screen goes blank and i really can't really do a clean install very frustrating, i don't want to be installing new graphics ontop of each other there's a new one out.

you probably did but in case. uninstall the driver, enter device manager and uninstall the video card driver (check delete graphics driver files). Download and use Driversweeper last version they made (just do a search though you probably have used it) uninstall all remaining nvidia files and registry entries... make sure physx and all other inclusive Nvidia software is also gone. Restart double check with driversweeper it should say there's absolutely 0files to clean when done. Try installing the driver again and on a whim try re-downloading the file maybe even in another browser.

Added after 7 minutes:

@freedomofthedarkendheart

Im reading that you have an X51 with the i5 processor I will like to ask you if you can confirm if yes or no the i5 gets to 3.3 ghtz on Turbo I know he is cloked at 3 ghtz but I haven't found an answered to my question,

It is clear that the i72600 don't Boost to 3.8 it only boost to 3.5 and this is been made by Dell to avoid overheating issues, so for those who dont know it is useless to buy any CPU with K as it will wont work !

Added after 9 minutes:

x51 Pink issue read this >> x51 - The screen turned pink - the computer shut off - Alienware Forum - Alienware Club - Dell Community

Edited by Maitreya
  • Thumbs Up 2

It is clear that the i72600 don't Boost to 3.8 it only boost to 3.5 and this is been made by Dell to avoid overheating issues, so for those who dont know it is useless to buy any CPU with K as it will wont work !

Wow, really?! Just fail Dell... fail. You can't make a DESKTOP that doesn't overheat? ROFL! :disturbed::hopelessness: