Fan not spinning

xxmolagbalxx

Decided it was time to upgrade my 4870 to a 5870. After the installation was complete and I turned it back on the fan did the initial spin. I took a look at it later and the fan was not spinning. I looked on hwinfo and it said it was spinning at 30%. I was able to install the dell drivers after the upgrade but was not able to download the amd driver for it right now cause I have such crap internet. Hwinfo recognizes the card is a 5800 series. Only thing I can think of why it is not spinning is because I dont have the amd driver installed. Anyone else had a problem with the fan not spinning?

• Founder

30% in hwinfo is not the correct measurement. It doesns't meant it's spinning. I am not in front of hwinfo right now but i think there's a GPU FAN SPEED which is the incorrect reading showing 30%, and GPU FAN which actually shows the RPM.

If i were you i'd run furmark and just listen for the fan turn on, then confirm with hwinfo.

• Thumbs Up 1

that is correct Michael and a recent finding is if your not using Compal EC to control fan i recommend you go into the sensors configuration and set hide/disable sensor on the "dell Ec" heading specifically the System/gpu fan speed reading and the cpu fan speed reading to prevent DPC latency the other two values are under gpu called gpu fan like above and are always wrong might as well disable them too as its less overhead for hwinfo. The value there that locks at 30% is read just the same from gpuz :) thats why we know its bull.... the gpu in these models have no actual control over fan and is soley based on EC temp readings. So a sensor these softwares try to read is null and void in a sense and will like Michael said always read 30% i just listen to speed... Max has a distinct sound but if in doubt look at the fan. Make sure hwinfo is configured for compal ec or dell ec only not both as it could cause a conflict. How do you have hwinfo configured could i ask for a pic of the options screen to see if your all set? You can start it with windows via task scheduler and add a command to the .ini file to allow automatic start up of the fans and minimization of the sensor and fan control window automatically hidden to the tray :) if you need help id be glad to help you set it :)

• 2 weeks later...

i pulled it out today and ran furmark and seems it is running now, before i ran the program and it didnt even spin when it got hotter and my heat rose quite significantly. today its just working so i guess its fine.. for now... though I am having higher temps then I think I should be. The high point after a little bit of furmark for my gpu was,

GPU thermal diode 111C, GPU TS0 74C, GPU TS1 111C, GPU TS2 87C.

it was a first time for pulling apart this laptop and first time doing a paste job on the gpu and putting pads on the ram. From the numbers shown think I should repaste and or re pad also?

90c is what you should say to be your max... 111c is too much. After replacing pads with a thick paste i used ICD max temp in games for hours on end on an overclock was 76c on my last cards 6970m so id say give a nice repaste and replace... furmark isnt safe but max should be mid 80's if your all set... 5870m are very nice

well forgot to say that I was using hwinfo while i was running furmark. That is where I got my numbers. Okay guess ill wait to repaste until I receive my other heatsink for my second card. Stupid dell sent me two heatsinks for the left card sigh. Well looking at those numbers you think that id have to do the ram also? or just the gpu?

oh also added a pic in case you wanted to see.

post-3000-144949928179_thumb.jpg

Edited by xxmolagbalxx

well forgot to say that I was using hwinfo while i was running furmark. That is where I got my numbers. Okay guess ill wait to repaste until I receive my other heatsink for my second card. Stupid dell sent me two heatsinks for the left card sigh. Well looking at those numbers you think that id have to do the ram also? or just the gpu?

oh also added a pic in case you wanted to see.

yes 91c and 104c are too high even on furmark. So yes i recomend replace the paste on the core of the card as well as smaller than a pea size dab on each vram module. No further tweaks should be needed and you should see dramatic temp differences.

For prevention of errors and various fixes that were made to HWiNFO i highly recomend you use the latest version as you are about 50 revisions back. 3.93 i think is latest full version. HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/913-ic-diamond-24-survey-results.html

check this thread for repaste pics lot of AMD cards there temps you see in this thread should closer to what you should be seeing if its all repasted good.

yes 91c and 104c are too high even on furmark. So yes i recomend replace the paste on the core of the card as well as smaller than a pea size dab on each vram module. No further tweaks should be needed and you should see dramatic temp differences.

For prevention of errors and various fixes that were made to HWiNFO i highly recomend you use the latest version as you are about 50 revisions back. 3.93 i think is latest full version. HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/913-ic-diamond-24-survey-results.html

check this thread for repaste pics lot of AMD cards there temps you see in this thread should closer to what you should be seeing if its all repasted good.

thanks, I was scared to put too much paste on the gpu and just did a little bit bigger than a pea size... guess that was not enough maybe... and also im using i think 1mm pads on the ram... I have some mx4 and some other paste I bought.. think I should just put paste on the ram instead?

thanks, I was scared to put too much paste on the gpu and just did a little bit bigger than a pea size... guess that was not enough maybe... and also im using i think 1mm pads on the ram... I have some mx4 and some other paste I bought.. think I should just put paste on the ram instead?

yeah thats what i was getting at and you can see pictures of it in that thread. mx4 is fine... but you can reference the pictures i linked to that thread in above post so you see what is a good amount. I would use StamatisX's picture to judge how much to use but yes to clarify do not use the video memory pads at all and use paste on each of those black squares and the core of the gpu. When putting it on you can see how big the pads are and how they are squeezed... put enough paste on each sqaure that will not go over edges but will cover as much of them as possible and fully contact the heatsink.

Save the pads though :)

yeah thats what i was getting at and you can see pictures of it in that thread. mx4 is fine... but you can reference the pictures i linked to that thread in above post so you see what is a good amount. I would use StamatisX's picture to judge how much to use but yes to clarify do not use the video memory pads at all and use paste on each of those black squares and the core of the gpu. When putting it on you can see how big the pads are and how they are squeezed... put enough paste on each sqaure that will not go over edges but will cover as much of them as possible and fully contact the heatsink.

Save the pads though :)

looking at those pics it seems like that with that much paste that it would go over the edge of the ram and get on the board. Ill give it a try and see if there is any changes. thanks for all the help!

• Thumbs Up 1

looking at those pics it seems like that with that much paste that it would go over the edge of the ram and get on the board. Ill give it a try and see if there is any changes. thanks for all the help!

no problem and as for going over the edge thats why i warned to try to judge how much to use so it fully covers them but doesnt create a mess over your gpu... there should be a small gap from where your not using the memory pads they are long you can leave the other sponges atttached. Good luck i hope you see a nice temp difference.