It Works!! M14x R1 fan replacement w/ R2 fan. MASSIVE improvement w/ temps and efficiency.

Hey guys, first post, but I thought I’d discuss my heatsink fan retrofit in my old M14x r1. 

Old fan was loud and not very efficient: the air transfer rate was around 2 cfm (I’m assuming cubic feet per minute). Finally had enough and decided to swap out the crappy r1 fan/coughing pinwheel for a r2 fan (rated at 10.4cfm). 

I found an old r2 heat sink on eBay (beware though that the heat sink for the r2 will NOT fit the gpu/cpu configuration for the r1. HOWEVER, the fan of the r2 heat sink it is attached to is a carbon copy fit into the r1 MoBo. A few philips head screws and a seal of good electric tape and BAM, you’ve got a significantly cooler and MUCH quieter intake fan in your old R1. 

My CPU temps from before were around 87-88 max load in FSX, 65 for the GPU; bear in mind this is after a repaste. Now with the new fan, I’m not going over 77 degrees on the CPU, and the gpu stays around 58, all while being MUCH quiter. I’ll post pics of the walkthrough if anyone is interested.

Just thought I’d share with all you fellow loonies trying to squeeze every last frame and degree out of our “portable toaster ovens with a screen and keyboard”. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you're still active on here or not, but I'd just like to ask, have you done anything else since this? I've been thinking of doing some kind of heat sink mod, because the temps are just horrid. Hope you get back to me, and thanks for the idea!

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 6:29 AM, morse.devon said:

Not sure if you're still active on here or not, but I'd just like to ask, have you done anything else since this? I've been thinking of doing some kind of heat sink mod, because the temps are just horrid. Hope you get back to me, and thanks for the idea!

Hey my man! Sorry for the super late reply, but no I haven't really done anything else as of yet hardware wise, but its been running great with the software and bios tweaks I made.  You should definitely check into replacing that fan.  I'm actually about to add some thermal pads and repaste, just for maintenance sake.  Good luck!  Message me if you need tips

• 4 months later...

Hey, quick question; my R1 also runs pretty hot, but all the replacement fans I've been able to find online don't really specify an air transfer rate.  Do you know of any way to tell the difference between R1 and R2 fans?  If not, do you know of somewhere specific to get the better R2 fans?  I've been searching eBay and Amazon, and only found the individual fans with no way to tell if they are the better quality ones.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 9:11 PM, FlyingWaffle said:

Hey, quick question; my R1 also runs pretty hot, but all the replacement fans I've been able to find online don't really specify an air transfer rate.  Do you know of any way to tell the difference between R1 and R2 fans?  If not, do you know of somewhere specific to get the better R2 fans?  I've been searching eBay and Amazon, and only found the individual fans with no way to tell if they are the better quality ones.

Yes, the R1 fan has 2 CFM (cubic feet per minute, I'm assuming) while the R2  fan has 10.4 CFM.  The R2 fan has smaller blades that don't begin until the outside edge, and are more finely packed together, like a jet turbine.  The R1 fan has conventional paddle blades that extend all the way from the center to the outside edge, and there is more space in  between blades. 

Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions. 

Edit: found a pic of the R2 fan, notice the blades don't begin until the outer lip of the fan

https://www.cpumedics.com/dell-xn0g5-cpu-cooling-fan-for-alienware-m14xr2/

Edited by IronPancakes
Clarification

lemme get this right , 

M14xR1 OEM Fan = 00H8HD ( DC280009OF0 )

1.jpg.b420502e49b667367e5d886c301d6cb7.jpg

M14Xr2 Fan = XN0G5 (DC28000AJF0)

2.jpg.e127057590c9034d8c91df990761baba.jpg

after some research, i confirm that the

R1 00H8HD Model has 2 cfm (low airflow)

R2 XN0G5 model has 10.4 cfm (5x the airflow)

i'm buying the XN0G5 as of now , thanks man !!

will keep you guys posted !  Jan-2020

(also i'm looking at DC28000CGF0   for the R3 variant )

EDIT AS OF Oct-2020

so i just installed the R2 model Fan and it's way better than the R1 

Totally worth it !

Edited by GameXPlayer
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

do u recommend just buying a low end pc just to run e-sports game and few triple A games or just try to improve my m14x r1 cause i feels its just wasting for money begging my laptop for more fps to run modern games ahead of laptop age by 4 or more years

Edited by Ob1to

• 2 months later...

I was also looking to change my system's Fan. I was surprised to see that there are many system fans available these days. I was also confused which fan should I buy. But I think the cooling system of a system is very important may be because I am facing cooling issue for some time. Because of this issue by system turns off atuomatically without any warning.