Is the GT650M still decent?

Jsnlv

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have a lenovo y510p which has GT 755M. the card can run games on 2018 but on low graphics and has high temps(because of the laptop maybe) so i am guessing your GPU is going to be even worse for gaming in 2018. if your aim is to game, i would recommend that you build a PC or try to setup an e-gpu

• 1 year later...

A single 650m at stock frequencies will struggle a bit nowadays. For example, my Y500 has two, and playing Battletech on the lowest settings in 720p was getting me around 30-40 fps. You shouldn't have any issues playing Source engine games, though (i.e. CSGO). 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

a stock gt650m is probably not going to cut it these days due to GPU and also the low amount of video memory compared to what is used these days...  you could use msi afterburner or something similar to get the core clock to 1000mhz core and the memory to 3000mhz then you might be able to play games but with lower graphic settings.

Also direct 12 will be an issue... no higher than directx 11

just as a comparison, here is performance of average stock gt650m

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

and if overclocked it is comparable to gtx660m

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html

this also would make more heat and fans might get too noisy

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

As a owner of Y500 which have two of 650 I have to say you can still play some newer games for "wider audience" (LOL,HotS, Gwent,HeartStone) but the rest is just meh. I have to say that back in the day around 2015 when I bought it the laptop was superb and aged pretty decently.