MS Office on LENOVO THINKPAD

GarryEn

Hello.

I have been working with Excel file. Yesterday without thnking I stupidly turned off the Laptop without saving the file. Now when I try to open it an error occurs, This file is not in a recognizable format.
The version of Microsoft Office is 2016. 
LENOVO THINKPAD T440P LAPTOP I5 running 8.1.
Please help! Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like you're trying to carry out some form of file recovery. In any case, this doesn't sound like a problem caused by your hardware. It is possible for a hard drive to be damaged, but from your post it appears that the file just wasn't saved properly.

From my experience, OpenOffice/LibreOffice is sometimes better at fixing files made by MS Office than MS Office itself, but otherwise I am afraid the best you can achieve is some sort of partial data extraction. It is worth knowing in this context that xlsx files are really just renamed zip files which you can open with programmes like 7Zip and the Windows explorer itself.

Edited by Bos Maior

• 2 weeks later...

These are the few solutions, try them:

• Delete the unwanted add-ins
  • Use Open and repair option
  • Move the file from one location to another and try to open it
  • Save the file in HTML format

If it happens again I might suggest to go to the "how to fix ms Excel error codes" section.

Edited by rudnn