MSI GT783R (MS-17611) - Alternative MoBo:

amidsal

Hi again guys,

I have one of those GT783R that disappeared from market very quickly, and one that is probably a lemon. I've tried to replace the processor and the video card so far and the computer still turns off after 3 or 4 minutes. In fact, it's strange because the BIOS shows GT780 instead of GT783R. My guess now is that I have to replace the motherboard.

However, I can't find a spare motherboard for GT783R. I know it's a MS-17611 motherboard, so can I just buy a MS-17611 motherboard or does it have to have other specs to be compatible?

Also, I noticed that there is a ver 1.0 and ver 1.1. Is there a difference between them?

Anyone willing to help me? Please?????

Best,

Amid

• 1 month later...

If you are going to change out the motherboard with a more recent one, I think the max you can do is the MS-17631 motherboard. I am using a MS-17621 1.0 motherboard, and I found that if I plug in the 2nd hdd connector that is, example: MS-17611 or ms-16f2 or ms-16f3 hdd connector, the motherboard will not turn on at all (the circuit on the hdd connector daughterboard is slightly different circuit for the motherboard to understand).  So if you do upgrade the motherboard to a MS-17621 1.0 or 1.1 for example, you have to buy the hdd connector of the same series that start with MS-1762(x) like:

MS-1762A which is the HDD Connector.  This HDD connector is the bottom most daughter board that sits right under the palmrest.

MS-1762C which is the HDD Connector next to the MXM video graphics card, I use this one for my main Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB.  This connector can be swapped for the RAID card.
MS-1762D is the touchpad and click connector and the front 5 LED status lights.

MS-1762E is the USB 2.0 Connector
MS-1762F is the SATA DVD-RW/BluRay extender. This part is compatible across all of the motherboards, since it only extends the SATA Circuit.

So basically if you do change the motherboard, to a more newer generation, but keeping that chassis, it would be more practical and money saving way to pretty much replace that board with the same exact version you see printed on the board. 1.0 or 1.1.

MS-17631 board you can keep: Videocard heatsink or upgrade heatsink with the card. Keep the CPU cooler pipe, and SATA extender for DVD writer.  But you will have to drill into the rear chassis to accommodate the display port connector, since that is the one different from your current board and MS-17621.

I also learned the hard way of buying a 2.0/2.1 board for my GT70, which originally has the 1.0 board.  When I got the 2.0 board, the Boot up logo showed up MEDION instead, and the CPU cooler did not support the fan as I originally thought it would.  The CPU would go to 90C and the fan still stayed the same quiet speed.  I got rid of the board since my components did not match that board, which was a whitebook board.  So yes, version does matter, and don't try to up a version from 1.0/1.1 to 2.0/2.1, you will waste money and time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6.4.2018 at 2:12 AM, amidsal said:

Hi again guys,

I have one of those GT783R that disappeared from market very quickly, and one that is probably a lemon. I've tried to replace the processor and the video card so far and the computer still turns off after 3 or 4 minutes. In fact, it's strange because the BIOS shows GT780 instead of GT783R. My guess now is that I have to replace the motherboard.

However, I can't find a spare motherboard for GT783R. I know it's a MS-17611 motherboard, so can I just buy a MS-17611 motherboard or does it have to have other specs to be compatible?

Also, I noticed that there is a ver 1.0 and ver 1.1. Is there a difference between them?

Anyone willing to help me? Please?????

Best,

Amid

Every Bios shows GT780 because this is the Basic Barebone.

The Failure is normaly not the Motherboard,it is the GPU.

It have a beginning Shortcut which shut the Notebook ramdomly of under Load.

This is a big Problem from GTX 460M to GTX 675M.