Lenovo Y410p/Y510p BIOS mod to enable Nvidia eGPU support

High_Voltage

@Blk6Jeff Well, you will definitely have to remove the aftermarket WIFI card. Otherwise you'll be unable to boot past the whitelist check after you flash the stock V3.08. Yet, the issue you described shouldn't be related to the WIFI card. This error message occurs if somebody attempted to modify the Win308.bin file before initiating the flash.  Therefore. could you please verify that you're definitely flashing the correct BIOS from the Lenovo support pages for Y510p/Y410p. A good idea might be to download the file again in case it got corrupted.

P.S. I would still try flashing with the card removed, just in case...

Edited by High_Voltage

Good afternoon,

I am pleased to share that I successfully reverted to the stock BIOS. For future reference, you need to enable 'BIOS Backflash' even if 'upgrading' from modified 2.07 to 3.08

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Even happier to announce that I achieved modded 3.08 with a 2nd generation adapter using the methods in this thread. Thanks to everyone who took time to do research to expand the capabilities of this already great tool.! 

Edited by Blk6Jeff
  • Thumbs Up 1

Glad to hear that you figured it out!

Wouldn't expect the Backflash option to be required in order to upgrade from any lower BIOS version, be it original or modified 2.07. But again, I haven't looked inside Svl7's 2.07 mod, only the 3.05 one, so it could well be that there's something that interferes with flashing process.

Also, that's really cool that you've succeeded with a 2nd gen adapter upgrade. Now after you verified that it works, everyone who has an older gen adapter can upgrade without hesitation.

P.S. It would be cool if people who got their setup running successfully with Nvidia eGPUs reported here. I think everyone would be especially interested in reports of successful operation with internal screen. In order to get that working the internal GT750 has to be disabled so that Optimus picks up the external GPU.

P.P.S. Don't forget there's also a Y500 version of the mod which works with Nvidia (and should work with AMDs too, although yet untested)!

Edited by High_Voltage

2 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

P.S. It would be cool if people who got their setup running successfully with Nvidia eGPUs reported here. I think everyone would be especially interested in reports of successful operation with internal screen. In order to get that working the internal GT750 has to be disabled so that Optimus picks up the external GPU.

THIS is the only thing preventing me to buy the adapter right now, since I have money to buy a good GPU, but dont have enough to buy a nice Display. I need at least one person to state they successfully achieve to send the eGPU video signal back to the laptop display without having an external monitor.

Edited by AllanDavidson

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for putting this question in this thread but maybe you with this much experience can help.

I left my PC running at home for about 20 minutes and when i arrived it was nonstop trying to boot then shut itself down. 

The pc didnt even got the the lenovo screen i just got a nice black screen for about 30 seconds. Then it shuts down and after 5 seconds it starts itself up and this 2 parts make an endless loop. (EDIT: both fans go full speed when its trying to boot)

what i tried is:

removing battery + holding start button for 1 minute -remained the same-

i checked bot my ram sticks one by one if they work -it appeared they were fine-

suddenly when i removed the ultrabay gt755m the laptop booted into windows. i tried to put the ultrabay back and it started the whole loop process again.

Didnt do anything with BIOS or drivers or i dont know.      (factory bios v3.05 i think)

do you think i broke the ultrabay card or something just went randomly crazy in my bios

(integrated gt 755m perfectly fine, hd4600 working as well)

Thanks for your answer in advance.

Edited by balint234

Sounds like something very bad has happened to your ultrabay card... Before throwing that in the bin though, I'd try cleaning the Ultrabay contacts both on motherboard and on the egpu.

I don't think there are any BIOS settings (even in the extended menu) that could've killed the external 755. My only guess would be that it has overheated and died for some reason. You can take it apart and check its fan and thermal paste to know for sure.

You can of course flash yourself with stock bios and reset settings to factory defaults just to make sure it's not that.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more ideas of what could this have been.

Well i did it but as you expected it didnt solve it. When i finally can bring my adapter to a professional who can solder it i will ask him to have a look at it but most probably you were right and it fried. Ive heard roumors that lenovo doesnt even put cooling paste on their ultrabay gpus so i wouldnt be surprised.

Anyways thanks for the recommendations.

(If you feel that this problem is not at the right place in this thread let me know and i will delete my comments)

38 minutes ago, balint234 said:

Well i did it but as you expected it didnt solve it. When i finally can bring my adapter to a professional who can solder it i will ask him to have a look at it but most probably you were right and it fried. Ive heard roumors that lenovo doesnt even put cooling paste on their ultrabay gpus so i wouldnt be surprised.

Anyways thanks for the recommendations.

(If you feel that this problem is not at the right place in this thread let me know and i will delete my comments)

Lenovo puts cheap thermal pads. But on memory chips, there are none. First week I bought laptop I repasted it and put either quality thermal pads or paste on eGPU. Still works up to this day after, hm, maybe 3-4 years. I have y510p.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 8:46 PM, High_Voltage said:

The Svl7's custom GPU VBIOS is not included with this mod.

Would it be hard to also include this custom GPU VBIOS for 755m to be able to have laptop on-the-go with internal GPU and be able to overclock it? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there. 

Just set up my system. Running a y510p and connected a gtx 760.  Windows 10. 

Went through all the steps, connected it, everything booted but an error on both the 755 video card and the 760.   (Hadnt installed drivers yet)

downloaded and installed driver + software package from nvidia. Chose option to install everything and to do a clean install.  Restarted and now am getting this screen after typing in my password. 

Any thoughts?

FDF454B0-6226-45BE-83C5-7EEB42EA3306.jpeg

Update:

I made my computer fail to start 4 times and it loaded a restore point.  Then tried a different driver. Same thing happened again. 

Tried an even older driver that i saw referenced in another forum and it worked.   347.09 which is a windows 8.1 driver but works well on my windows 10 machine. 

Games playing much better even though i am only using a gtx 760. Witcher 3 is finally playable. Doing about medium graphics to keep frame rate decent. Elder scrolls online on medium graphics and i had 50-80 fps so i may improve the graphics to high. 

Edited by Vitio77
Solved. It works now

• 1 month later...

Where and how can I purchase the Ultrabay adapter?

Laptop is Y510P with dual 755m, planning to go for 1070Ti.

Does the modded bios contain any updated CPU microcode for spectre/meltdown ?

Also, will there be a way to use the laptop's LCD display with this mod? (If no - why?).

Edited by Onepamopa
Forgot something.

On 10.08.2018 at 7:06 PM, Onepamopa said:

Does the modded bios contain any updated CPU microcode for spectre/meltdown ?

Also, will there be a way to use the laptop's LCD display with this mod? (If no - why?).

No, the modified BIOS only contains Nvidia fix, unlocked developer BIOS menu and wlan card whitelist removal, and is otherwise identical to V3.08 released by Lenovo. I don't think Lenovo has ever released fixes for Spectre/Meltdown for this computer.

The internal screen will work with eGPU acceleration through Optimus as long as you're using modern Nvidia card.

33 minutes ago, HCao said:

I got an adapter long time ago from gerald, but as I see in this post, there exists different versions of adapter?

Does this BIOS works with all versions?

The BIOS mod requires version 3 of the adapter. You can easily convert your older adapter into version 3 by either cutting the track, or desoldering the resistor, as indicated in this post.

28 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

No, the modified BIOS only contains Nvidia fix, unlocked developer BIOS menu and wlan card whitelist removal, and is otherwise identical to V3.08 released by Lenovo. I don't think Lenovo has ever released fixes for Spectre/Meltdown for this computer.

The internal screen will work with eGPU acceleration through Optimus as long as you're using modern Nvidia card.

The BIOS mod requires version 3 of the adapter. You can easily convert your older adapter into version 3 by either cutting the track, or desoldering the resistor, as indicated in this post.

Thank you very much man! I'm reading through that long long post. I think mine is version2.

So the only difference between version2 and version3 is that resistor from 1k->10k?

And by removing the resistor or changing the resistor with higher value, the purpose is to cut that signal?

Yes, the 1k resistor is pulling the signal to either low or high level (i don't remember for sure). We want it to be the opposite level. Somebody has experimentally figured out earlier that it works with 10k, but not having the resistor at all is a more reliable option. The track cutting trick is for those who don't want to solder or don't have the necessary tools. A knife or a pair of scissors should be in every house on the other hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 17/08/2018 at 10:56 AM, AllanDavidson said:

How do I disable the internal GT750m to use the IGP + eGPU ?

From "Device Manager". Yesterday i borrowed my friends 1050 Ti (without power connector) and it worked perfectly with internal screen. 

@High_VoltageThanks a lot for the BIOS mod.

7 hours ago, Onepamopa said:

Has someone connected a flexible pci-e extension cable with the ultrabay adapter? having the egpu on the right side don't provide much confidence, could be easily unplugged by accident, which may damage it.

There was another user who reported that 3M riser cable worked fine. Take a look at the ultrabay thread for more info.