BlazingBrandon

I own a Clevo P151SM1 that I bought in a hurry last year after my Alienware died on me. It's done a good job of playing everything I've thrown at it but lately, it's been shutting itself off when I play certain games or graphics-heavy programs. When idle it sits around 38C which is great. But when I get into a game it skyrockets up to 97C as the last recorded temp before it shuts itself off. I've cleaned the fans and keep it on an elevated cooling pad (no fans on the pad cause I broke them) but it gets plenty of air. I know that 97C is probably damaging the card and I don't want that. Does it look like I'm going to have to repaste it?  I've attached my latest readings if that would help. 

HWMonitor.rar

repasting it shouldn't be that hard. While you're at it, I always tweaked the springs up a bit so they applied more pressure, and that gained a few degrees in temps. Unfortunately, though, from the sounds of it, your GPU has fatigued and is putting off a lot more heat than it should for the work it's doing. I don't have the stats for the currents for that model, but I would not be surprised if it's drawing way too much current as well, either of which (temp or current) could be triggering the emergency shutdown. Which specific games and programs are shutting it down?

The game that triggers it the most is *sigh* Golf with Friends. I can play League or Starbound fine. I'm going with anything that actually makes the card work does it as I know those 2 games are nothing to a graphics card. I did some measuring and reading and it would seem the card is already throttling itself voltage wise never going above .98V at max load when most people go to 1.2V.

GPU-Z Sensor Log.rar

Edited by BlazingBrandon
More info

Check if the gpu fan is working properly, clean gpu sink and fan, re paste with a quality paste, or liquid metal. If after u done all of that the temps are still high, you might have a defective gpu sink.

I'd like to thank both of you for the help. This one is solved as the card died Friday night. I'm not surprised as I didn't even look into the temps until I started having issues. I'll be on my school laptop Dell Inspiron 13 5368 until I get a new one. Looking forward to the epicness that is the Intel HD 520 graphics!