Help! Choosing between 2430M and 2760MQ

halainpb

Hi guys, I need help to decide what M14x should I buy.

I live in Mexico and here Dell has 3 processor options:

*i5-2430M (include in basic)

*i7-2760QM (for $240 extra)

*i7-2860QM (for $760 extra)

for money reason my only options are the first two. Now, this are the two setups I would want with either processor:

1.Alienware M14x $1,400 USD-Intel® Core™ i5-2430M (3MB Caché, 2.40 GHz)

-8GB RAM DDR3 a 1333MHz

-750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

-3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

-14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight

2.Alienware M14x $1,850 (for $100 extra I could get 3GB 555M and 8GB RAM)

-Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM (6MB Caché, 2.40 GHz)

-6GB de Memoria Doble Canal DDR3 a 1600MHz

--750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

-1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

-14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight

As you can see, if I want to upgrade from the first configuration to the second configuration I will have to spend at least an extra $450 for a better processor, better RAM, but lesser video card (if it would make a big difference). $550 extra for extra ram and video.

So my question is, is it wort it to pay $450 or more, or should I get the first configuration? I don't know why they dont have the i7-2630 as an option, so the leap is a bit expensive. In case I could get the second configuration, is it worth the $100 extra for more RAM and GPU?

I will be using this computer mainly for gaming, but also for basic programming and the essential things you do in college. I would like the computer to last at least 3 years left I have in college. Keep in mind that $500 is much more money in Mexico than in US.

I would really appreciate your help! This offer ends on Monday so I don't have much time to decide. Thanks!

• Founder

The 2430M is a dual core processor which should be sufficient for a system like the M14x but the problem is there are a lot of new titles that utilize 4 cores (e.g. BF3) so you may see a bit of a performance hit with a lesser CPU. Now as far as the second GPU configuration, the 3.0 GB is not any faster than the 1.5 GB version at all. So don't be fooled by the extra video memory, it won't help you in any game. So my recommendation is you go with system #2. And lastly, welcome to Tech|Inferno! :Banane07::Banane35:

• Thumbs Up 1

The 2430M is a dual core processor which should be sufficient for a system like the M14x but the problem is there are a lot of new titles that utilize 4 cores (e.g. BF3) so you may see a bit of a performance hit with a lesser CPU. Now as far as the second GPU configuration, the 3.0 GB is not any faster than the 1.5 GB version at all. So don't be fooled by the extra video memory, it won't help you in any game. So my recommendation is you go with system #2. And lastly, welcome to Tech|Inferno! :Banane07::Banane35:

Thank you for your answer! I'm glad I found this forum.

I been rechecking the prices and I actually made a mistake, my first configuration is actually $1708, for $142 more I can get conf #2. And since you say BF3 can perform better with the i7, i'm guessing future games would get more benefit from the i7. Considering this I think it is worth paying $150 extra.

I've been reading a lot about the 3GB 555M and you just confirmed me everything I read, so i'm just getting the 1.5GB

Now, I think I'll get the second configuration i7-2760, 6GB RAM, 1.5 video for $1850 or $1900 for 8gb, do you know for this kind of system, if 8GB would be a good investment? probably it wouldn't do much for gaming now, but maybe in the future?

i'm looking forward to get this on my hands!

Thank you for your answer! I'm glad I found this forum.

I been rechecking the prices and I actually made a mistake, my first configuration is actually $1708, for $142 more I can get conf #2. And since you say BF3 can perform better with the i7, i'm guessing future games would get more benefit from the i7. Considering this I think it is worth paying $150 extra.

I've been reading a lot about the 3GB 555M and you just confirmed me everything I read, so i'm just getting the 1.5GB

Now, I think I'll get the second configuration i7-2760, 6GB RAM, 1.5 video for $1850 or $1900 for 8gb, do you know for this kind of system, if 8GB would be a good investment? probably it wouldn't do much for gaming now, but maybe in the future?

i'm looking forward to get this on my hands!

I'd say save the $50 and someday just upgrade to 16gb ram 3rd party it would be pretty cheap.

I think you made the right decision. Welcome to Tech Inferno. Maybe calling in and pushing about the price you may save $50-300 dollars reps cant do much more than that... its worth a try and others who have tried have been succesful at getting a few hundred off the internet price :)