[Guide] Alienware Overclocking/Overvolting

raymosrunerx

Hello everyone,

After about 100 hours, extensive fine tuning, benchmarking, re-testing, system crashes (and a possible re-installation of Windows 7), I have finally made a guide that can offer much assistance to overclocking/overvolting as well as reproducible results.

Free File Sharing Made Simple - MediaFire

That is the folder I saved the document in. There may be more revisions to come. Maybe even another laptop, will see if any of the students in this campus has an Alienware

Here is the latest revision, stored in this site: Alienware Overclocking Guide [rev 2].pdf

Note: This guide can be used on any laptop given there is the unlocked BIOS for it, the procedures will be the same, the numbers will not. Might want to ask svl7 if you are not overclocking an m14x

Raymosrunerx

PS: To make life a lot easier, please download the latest revision, I already saw some major errors and pointers I left out in the first revision. I was too eager to post this.

Edited by raymosrunerx
  • Thumbs Up 13

Good work, +rep. A little remark... the footer shows "revision 1" while the file name says "rev 2"... ;)

Given the past events with megaupload and filesonic, can you please attach the latest version to your first post? Not that one day the file is simply gone...

Plus, it's much more convenient to download directly from the forum.

If I may... I would like to say to be wary depending if using all the infos in the guide for systems other than M14x. These are minor and should just be noted by users.

Be careful on any system going beyond 104 baseclock and up. USB, SATA, PCI Express Slots are all overclocked too when baseclock is raised. Just be careful is all.

On changing memory settings on some systems there is no audible sound for the error of applying settings that wouldn't work. Instead it just acts as mentioned for when it does work... Ie... Black screen on start followed by a reboot and proceeds to boot normal after but the memory settings that would not load are back to default memory settings.

The methods used apply to all non-xm processors and Alienware laptops. If on XM in M17x R3 and M18x R1 with 2900 series most applies but pushing the baseclock that far is not necessary on them unless on prefers to because the multipliers are unlocked. Going to 0amp on XM would likely set AMPs to 97amp the Dell default or perhaps the lowest AMP accepted. XM's will want to leave amps at 97 or go higher as high as 1023 :) (this number isn't going to make 1023 amp draw but as using a higher amp will alow CPU to maintain higher watts. On XM if you raise watts to use higher speeds the AMPs should probably atleast be default or match the watts you end up setting. On XM going to Advanced CPU options and disabling MSR lock allows XTU and Throttle Stop to change watts inside windows.

1.55v is a very good suggestion on ram volts. If your ram you might have purchased says higher unless tested and confirmed use that value the package may state.

To use XMP timings do as in guide setting ram speed and volts ahead of time with F10 save and reboot then re-enter bios and set XMP profile 1 for 1600mhz ram to run at 1333mhz XMP timings and XMP 2 for 1600mhz XMP timings. Again F10 reboot renter bios to confirm the changes stuck. 1333mhz XMP timing may be 7-7-7-20 and 1600mhz XMP timing may be 9-9-9-27. 1333mhz default timing depending on ram may be 9-9-9-24. There are other ram kits out running 1866Mhz and XMP 1 would set them to 1600mhz XMP timings. XMP2 would be 1866Mhz on XMP timings. Some kits are low voltage so some 1866 modules could operate on that 1.55v

On XM if you change multipliers and sometimes baseclock via XTU or the Bios you may find upon reboot your ram voltage, speed or XMP profile was changed from what was set to defaults. After making such changes and rebooting enter bios to confirm they are set as you had. I had too many times getting BSOD from not realizing my ram went back to 1.5v or ram speed changed or its wasnt using XMP timings anymore.

On XM XTU use for Multipliers, Ram timings (little off so bios works too), Baseclock, ON/OFF for EIST, Turbo, Short Power Limit, Long Power Limit. As mentioned baeclock via XTU can be changed with no reboot to be able to test on the fly. All else is best changed in unlocked bios. Certain menus like the multiplier menu in bios will drop multis to default if you enter that menu and have set higher than 45x on XM. So instead use the second performance menu that shows mem and flex(voltage) adjustments to change those if you dont want those Multipliers changed.

Additional options can be changed in unlocked bios and depends on models perhaps... Throttle Temp, Shutdown Temp, Active Cores (can boot in 1,2,3 cores or default 4), Hyperthreading enabled/disabled, Core States diabled or enabled and also which states can be used, you can turn off agressive LPM mode (low power mode) on HD config in a menu (found sometimes to help some SSD's having issues), Watchdog can be enabled to reset system as needed when values in bios may not have allowed boot (disabled by default), Flex (voltage) can be set higher than stock bios limit of 25 the second menu it appears in can be set from 0-99 (has second location for ram settings too), if desired Bi-Directional PROCHOT can be disabled (enabled default)

Ill add more if i think of it.

I hope this post is not out of line.

Your guide is great.

I hope to also save people time.

Edited by mw86

Alright, mw86, I will start integrating your tips into the guide for rev 3.

Thank you everyone!

Also, svl7, if you could perhaps create a thread with all the mods for all laptop models, that would be great, so I can point to the page where you have created them. I want to make this guide applicable to all systems

• 1 month later...

Oh no help! I recently tried to enable the overclock settings and restart my comp but now it boot up with no display and there is 8 constant beeps repeating and nothing but a black screen, help would be appreciated thanks

Edited by liquified

Hi liquified, welcome to T|I!

Unplug your system, remove the battery, do a power drain (press and hold down the power button for about 15 seconds) then remove the cmos battery for about 5 minutes. After this, put back the cmos battery, battery, AC adapter and start your system.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I just tried to overclock and I followed every step in your "Alienware Overclocking Guide (Rev 2)" and everything went smoothly, except during step 3 when I tried to raise the reference clock. At the beginning the reference clock was 99.8MHz and I followed your step, raising it by 3 then apply. My laptop screen went black, but the FX lights were still on, it was stuck like that for almost an hour and I got worried so I did a manual shut down(pressed the alien head until it turned off) and it was ok, everything was fine. The Turbo Boost Power Max is 48W and the Turbo Boost Short Power Max is 72W. But the reference clock didn't go up it was still 99.8MHz I tried it a couple of times and it's still that way. Can you help me? Oh yeah I am using a 1920 x 1080 monitor to extend the display of my alienware

Here's a screenshot of my spec and the intel ETU

post-3470-14494993043888_thumb.jpg

post-3470-14494993032607_thumb.jpg

post-3470-14494993034373_thumb.jpg

post-3470-14494993036686_thumb.jpg

post-3470-14494993038952_thumb.jpg

post-3470-14494993039694_thumb.jpg

post-3470-14494993041206_thumb.jpg

post-3470-14494993043171_thumb.jpg

Download the PDF and check it out. To enter the bios... When the system starts up... Press F2 when it says it on the screen in the lower right before the Window logo is even displayed.

• 4 months later...