Apologies for the spam Read more... ×
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Sign in to follow this  
Dunder_Mifflin

Alienware 17 R5 Ranger Bricked After Dell Bios Update

Hey all, 

I updated my Alienware 17 R5 Ranger (2014) to the latest Dell bios "AW17A14". I went around to look for possible fixes, I found that I should be uploading the last Bios I had through a USB stick formatted to FAT32. Now that's pretty simple so far (keep in mind the laptop only turns on the LED's and CPU/GPU fans at full speed looking for a bios file). 

I downloaded the Bios file from Dell but they have it as an .EXE program. I need it in the proper format to be read by InSyde Bios. I have no idea how to convert it from EXE to the right format. I tried using CMD to run AW17A14.EXE -writehdrfile, but that wouldn't work. 

This happened right after Dell replaced the MB for the same reason. The second time, my warranty had just expired. I don't wanna pay Dell 359.99$CAD for a new MB because of an issue inflicted by them.

Thanks,

Hi @Dunder_Mifflin,

Do you need the A14 Bios? I have the file "AW17A14_VAS00A14.fd" (which is the BIOS A14) and the "AW17A15_VAS00X64.fd" (newest BIOS). If you want them send me a PM it's about 9,45 MB.

Cheers

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Consumerofmulch
      Hello!

I have recently acquired my Dell Inspiron 15 7000, and I am interested in building an egpu setup for it. It has a USB-C port. Any recommendations/guides out there?

thanks.
    • By Soapy
      I reversed the input polarity on my m15x jack after a botched psu repair. Computer worked fine, but overall power control is messed up. System only boot on both battery and psu, no battery charge, and a very low battery drain (arround 6wh).

I aways had battery issues whith my 8 years old m15x after my original battery died. Bought a new one two years ago, didn't work. Checked on upower, basically no info on manufacturer, power or history. So i refunded and used the system hooked on the psu as usual. In August i bought a new one, worked flawlessly for a day. The next day the battery died from nowere. Checked upower, bus was ok, battery was charging extremely slowly (6wh), history showed subpar disharge before shutting down. I got mad at this point, decided that psu was to blame. Opened it, checked everything, noticed some wear on the male jack. Resoldered it, connected on computer. Nothing happened, so i checked the voltage. That's when i realised that i screwed up big time. I swaped the positive and negative wires. Decided that one mistake was enough, so i sent my m15x to a trusted repair shop (latter found that they just hooked the battery and gave me back as soon as it booted, they didnt even open it). Got my pc a week later, but the battery didn't charge . Worse, it was slowly discharging (same 6wh as before), and it needed both the psu and the battery to turn on. At 65%, it worked as usual for my college semester, but the battery is dead, and so is my computer. I bellieve i burned some voltage controller or something. I'm pretty competent at soldering thing's (evem smd components) when i know what to do, and i can understand simple circuit's, but when i got my hands on the m15x datasheet i got overblown. I cant make heads or tails about it. I aways lurked this forum and i bellieve your guys are the best when it comes to finding creative solutions to technical problems concerning microelectronics. I followed a guide in this forum as a teenager to upgrade this same computer to a gtx680m, overclocked stuff, got custom bios, and had a lot of fun learning. The m15x is a deprecated platform, but it's a part of my history that i dont want to let go.
      So please guys, help me.

• By Lyency
      bonjour, je souhaiterai unlock mon bios A15 de mon alienware m17x r4 . pouvez vous m'aider?
      je possède l'unlock A14 est il compatible avec le bios A15?
    • By learnfromit
      alienware 15 r2 970m with i7-6700hq vbios request so i can overclock and mess with voltage.

BIOS version backup made with techpowerup GPU-z.

GM204.rom

or can someone re direct me to one already made that will work? all links i find are dead, thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.