Fresh info for update my m18x

ziobeppe

Hello everybody. I would like to install a 980m (or 2) in my M18X R2.

Before proceeding I would like some updated info if possible.
The first, the most important. Is it still incompatible, this hardware, with windows 10, despite the mod bios and the Prema Vbios? I must install win7?
Is it always necessary to modding the drivers or, as I have read somewhere in the forum, do not need it anymore?
If some one have any advice on how to proceed please tell me, thanks. (eg. vbios new version, bios settings, etc.)
Sorry for my English.
Thanks.

Hello there. I upgraded my M18xR2 from the 7970M to the 980M. I just peeled the plastic off of the heat sink and fitted the right thickness to each of the thermal pads. Definitely PnP. You should have no problem with Windows 10 (though driver installation is a bit different). But I currently have the Swick A11 modded Bios and Windows 7. The video drivers install very easily: 

I do not work in the computer industry, so I have spent a lot of hours reading and re-reading posts: Every question or curiosity you have about the M18xR1 or M18xR2 can be answered here and on NBR. Just look and ye shall find it, bro. Parts are still easily available for this legendary machine (though a bit harder to find). The problem is that you will need a modded vBios and a 330W power supply if you want to use two 980M cards in SLI (two will cause one or the other to throttle). This forum seems to recommend Preema vBios (currently unavailable on this forum though he does have a website I hear) but there may be others able to make one up for you -for a price (be careful, other sites may not be as safe). As for the M18x R2 there are many others who broke this ground years ago and know a lot more than little old me; you can read about their problems, pains and breakthroughs right here in this forum. Sorry I can't help more. But half of the fun is all about the 'getting there'. Right? Enjoy the Ride. 

Best Regards,

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for your answer. I try to upgrade this machine, i don’t have alternative because my last 7970m died last week. 

I do not know if I will be able, because too many software changes (bios, vbios, drivers) that require files to be found. the only thing that worries me is the death of the screen repeatedly read in different forums by mrFox, for combination of 980m+nvidia driver+win10. Thx for your interest and answer.

Yes, I was concerned about that too. But that problem has been addressed and if you look into the link in my previous post. You will see that each post by @J95 he methodically removes the offending folders PRIOR to hitting the install button. Let me back up and explain: You may notice when you first double click on the Nvida driver install, it automatically copies the install programs to the hard drive and looks for matching machine numbers (in the .inf folder). When it does not find the right ID number on your M18xR2, you will get a message that your 'system is incompatible'. You then close out the program and go your hard drive and find the Nvidia folder and from here you should put in the modded .inf in the display folder and then removed the offending folders indicated (repeatedly) by @j95 and finally THEN click the install button. You may find that this not only protects your screen from sudden death, it may also make you feel better and boosts your overall self esteem (LOL).

But seriously, I too was reluctant to upgrade because of all the fear and loathing involved with doing something really wrong. But I did my homework, read each post carefully and in the end I can say nothing spontaneously exploded; everything worked as it should. And I was glad I upgraded: the newer games play much smoother and faster than the previous cards, the AMD 7970CF. True there is just a little CPU throttle every now and then (probably due to limitations of the PSU), but I can't really tell its happening and it doesn't affect gameplay.

Take your time and do it right the first time.

Good Luck. Have Fun!

• Thumbs Up 1

What can I say, you've been incredibly clear! Thank you.
As soon as I have all the components (card, sli cable, heatsink etc.) I will proceed with the update, hoping that I will not make disasters.

I have read many guides and I hope to have clear all the steps to be done, including bios, vbios and everything else. I hope I have a little luck, because I would like to keep alive my "old monster" for a while. ;)

p.s. wich version of prema vbios it's correct for the m18x r2? i have read somewhere that is the clevo version. Correct?

Edited by ziobeppe