Need help deciding between 1800x and 1950x

Hi,

I use Linux and I am in the process of building a new machine.

I keep trying to find an excuse to buy 16c/32/t threadripper even though I know its too much for my needs. I am a developer and use Linux as my main driver. Even with multiple VM’s it might bee to much.

Those of you developers with threadripper, do you regret it? how many cores are you guys really using? I know folks who render graphics and video can benefit from extra cores and crazy amounts of ram.

As for ram IDK if I should go 32 or 64, I would do 64 if we where not being scammed by those RAM manufacturers. I currently use like 20 when doing work, between Chrome, VM, and docker containers, ediots, DB…

What do you guys think should I go 1800x or 1950x?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

The question is, if your are oke with paying in whole a lot more for a good mainboard than you would pay if taking an Intel CPU? Similar or even identically constructed mainboards (different socket and such ofc) costs usually up to 250€ more, if there is an AMD socket and the like on it. 
Furthermore are the AMD drivers for every Linux OS the pure horror. When setting up Linux as a rendering, sever, deep learning, ... farm the AMD CPU and GPU performance is usually up tp 56% lower than on Windows and in comparision with Intel and Nvidia under Linux it is around 35%. 
Also are the Ryzen and Threadripper CPUs missing some often quite important features and are somewhat limited by their kernel structur and build in some professional use. 

I really like it that AMD is on the way to become a thread to Intel CPU wise, but personally I highly suggest you to wait for the 2nd Edition or take an equivalent Intel CPU, for example a Xeon or i9. 

On 11/29/2017 at 10:27 PM, 244755391 said:

Hi,

I use Linux and I am in the process of building a new machine.

I keep trying to find an excuse to buy 16c/32/t threadripper even though I know its too much for my needs. I am a developer and use Linux as my main driver. Even with multiple VM’s it might bee to much.

Those of you developers with threadripper, do you regret it? how many cores are you guys really using? I know folks who render graphics and video can benefit from extra cores and crazy amounts of ram.

As for ram IDK if I should go 32 or 64, I would do 64 if we where not being scammed by those RAM manufacturers. I currently use like 20 when doing work, between Chrome, VM, and docker containers, ediots, DB…

What do you guys think should I go 1800x or 1950x?

Thanks

I guess,  1800x is in either way is going to be cheaper than 1950x.