IBM ThinkPad 380XD

adamistr0

Hello. I got this machine in very bad shape and I wanted to restore it. I installed Win 98 SE on it, but it has no drivers for USB devices and my Cardbus ethernet card is not working. I tried looking for drivers, but found nothing. Were there some universal drivers on 98? Or should I install some linux?  And which one would be best for this beast? It has Pentium (1) 266MHz, 32MB of RAM (another 64MB on the way) and 4GB HDD (SD to IDE also on the way). 
Thanks

4 hours ago, adamistr0 said:

Hello. I got this machine in very bad shape and I wanted to restore it. I installed Win 98 SE on it, but it has no drivers for USB devices and my Cardbus ethernet card is not working. I tried looking for drivers, but found nothing. Were there some universal drivers on 98? Or should I install some linux?  And which one would be best for this beast? It has Pentium (1) 266MHz, 32MB of RAM (another 64MB on the way) and 4GB HDD (SD to IDE also on the way). 
Thanks

Ha, sounds a lot like my Thinkpad 390 - which, after all these years, still works!

That machine will run Windows XP, but it won't work all that well. Windows 98SE is what I always had on my Thinkpad 390.  Windows 98 does, actually, support USB, but if you can't get the machine to recognise e.g. your external hard drive it is possible to install some generic drivers, which may help. Google 'Windows 98 USB drivers' or something similar (and be sure to scan for viruses :-)).

Yeah almost 20 years old and still working. I have downloaded  nusb33.exe which should be driver for USB, but I don't have any CD right now :D actually I ment driver for that ethernet card. It install some Intel driver, but then it doesn't work. I have tried all drivers that were on 98 CD but nothing. I have XPs on my T40. Maybe I could share the internet over IR? 

I know that site, I have many drivers from there, but nothing useful to this problem. Is there any chance, that some Linux would have these drivers? When I tried Ubuntu on my laptop few weeks ago, it already had all the drivers. Of course I won't install newest Ubuntu on this :D. Even Lubuntu wants Pentium II or higher and 256 MB of RAM

1 hour ago, adamistr0 said:

I know that site, I have many drivers from there, but nothing useful to this problem. Is there any chance, that some Linux would have these drivers? When I tried Ubuntu on my laptop few weeks ago, it already had all the drivers. Of course I won't install newest Ubuntu on this :D. Even Lubuntu wants Pentium II or higher and 256 MB of RAM

Coreplus perhaps?

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/downloads.html