GTX580m running at max on battery?

s1nn37

Ok, I hope I found the proper entries, I'm not really familiar with Nvidia VBIOS.

Changed the shader to 300 and mem to 250 as requested earlier by mw86. I didn't touch the voltage. Let me know how well it works.

As always, I don't take any responsibility for bricked systems. Flash at your own risk.

thanks i'll let you know how its working :)

What about treaties for the vbios modder? :D

Did anyone test it so far?

SVL7 i had a problem i needed .rom for nvflash and by internet advice just changed the extension from .bin.... didnt work i couldnt boot windows but safe mode worked ... tinkered anf finally disabling both 580m in device manager from safe mode allowed me to boot and in normal windows it finally allowed the nvflash service to start so i could flash in command prompt in windows.... so im back on the .92v vbios :) can you make a .rom for me to test? if it works we should have a stock vbios with those clocks for battery and a available .92v 3dclocks + the higher battery clocks vbios too. I gauarantee it was my fault and not your vbios but the way i converted it... btw i tried nibitor based on internet advice and it couldnt find the right device ID 580m wasnt listed for me to resave as .rom....

Hmm, weird. Seems like I will have to take a look at it again. The extension doesn't matter, .rom or .bin... no difference. You can simply change it in Windows.

So you flashed the VBIOS and the system didn't boot anymore? Maybe the voltage isn't sufficient for these clocks, I dunno. Nibitor doesn't support this card so far. I don't know whether it works (it did for the 470m), but can you try overclocking the battery clock domains using Nvidia Inspector and test whether these clocks with the set voltage?

Hmm, weird. Seems like I will have to take a look at it again. The extension doesn't matter, .rom or .bin... no difference. You can simply change it in Windows.

So you flashed the VBIOS and the system didn't boot anymore? Maybe the voltage isn't sufficient for these clocks, I dunno. Nibitor doesn't support this card so far. I don't know whether it works (it did for the 470m), but can you try overclocking the battery clock domains using Nvidia Inspector and test whether these clocks with the set voltage?

It could be the lack of voltage for sure...

It gave bsod 000000116 on nvtdm.dll

Umm yeah i can test with nvidia inspector ive used premade batch files hit edit and changed them so far... Just starting to relearn the nvidia ways..... So just load nvidia inspector and attempt to change to higher clocks on where 75mhz loads for battery. Ive played on battery testing skyrim on ultra at the stock vbios and it forces SLi to not be used its enabled but upon loading game unlike on Ac it only puts a load on GpU 1. Ill let you know what i find tonight.... Maybe if i find better clocks we can make anoth vbios. If you can think of anything else let me know. It seemed like there were more mismatches flashing that file than the .92v vbios i used i didnt know what to pay attention for so im not sure if a problem occured from vbios or speed needing more volts. The memory clock could take a lot ov volts to so ill see what i find tonight :) Thanks SVL7 may be we find a good tweak yet for 580m on battery ;)

@s1nn37

amongst many things been tinkering with DPC Latency i read about.... i read using higher P12 would fix even matching P12 to P8 and I dont suggest it as its not needed... there is no DPC Latency in the 580m drivers anymore and lowering P12 powerstate is a better idea to lower idle temps between matches :) too much and even explorer will crash if P12 is too low. So P8 is responsible fore media type loads on AC and P12 is idle on AC or Internet :) So P12 is same on battery but P8 is actually the batteries 3d clocks so we need them higher for now with limited testing ive seen a benefit of having P8 higher and as ive tested seems decet for regular use and also seen same clock recomended as a DPC Latency fix... no DPC issue but the clocks are the same as I was working with. So optional is lower your P12 just a tad for even better cooling on idle and no ill effect if you dont go to low. Now P12 is going to be good around 150core 350mem 300 shader up to 220core 400mem 440shader.... raising mem to high on these .80v volts only has limited gains but easily needs to much voltage as you go over 400... the shaders are a little more loose on the volts given mem wasnt too high so i even had as high as 600~ Shader but it was too much so 400mem 400m shader should be fine but i recomend mem be around 360-389 as 389 is where nvispector normally locks it. THe Shader i recomend 290-440mhz. on battery it seems to game batter than on stock clocks a side effect of running discrete on battery is even though SLI is enabled the second card is not utilized at all or is ignored... as most activity i see is a peak at 30% usage on gpu 2 ever and its a peak as the load is usually 0... the vram i noticed does get loaded up properly on gpu 2. For example I loaded BF3 ultra and Skyrim Utra settings on stock battery clocks and with overclocked values gains were as follows and realize its ultra the point to see any gains means more like that then using low settings and seeing gains so you guys can say hmmm drop this AA and this post processing blah blah etc and bam even though only one gpu... gaming on battery will be possible but only as mentioned in the first place... with a couple things dropped... so for powerstate 12 i recomend 40core 80mem 80 shader :) nice and cool i had issue with 30 core and no doubt mem would be issue if it were much lower too.

dpc latency issue non existent :)

post-34-14494992739177_thumb.png

post-34-14494992740203_thumb.png

Skyrim battery stock 2fps

Skyrim battery overclocked about 6-9fps where i was 6 lower overclock 9 fps higher overclock :)

BF3 battery stock 2-4fps where i tested

BF3 gains were about the same but in observation the load in Skyrim was higher and saw less improvement over BF3 which got to be fairly playable. on battery overclock about 9-10fps where i was testing...

both games were 1080P Ultra settings all effects maxed even AA

so the gains shown equate to massive gains once AA and other frills are disabled i tested on fans at max all lights on max brightness cpu at 2.9ghz max for battery profile so to make sure battery could sustain all these loads at once....

post-34-14494992732764_thumb.png

@svl7 i know what our issue was if you used P8 in that vbios.... i set lets say i set 400mem it shows 200mem in gpuz :) and shader is normal... perhaps the way vbios works it reads way gpuz does so 200mhz core 400mem and 400 shader might need to be 200mhz core in vbios and 200mhz mem to get 400mhz mem by our readings... same with shader and core which is it wwritten as... maybe its core and we put shader speeds in causing 800mem and 300 core and 600 shader on .8v i am unsure :)

NVispector could be easier solution since if you do it this way you can boot into windows safe mode if you find a problem where you couldnt boot system... just enter safe mode and go to the user folder and go through hidden folders to find your actual start menu... simply delete the shortcut from "startup" folder and restart your back to normal :) remember .8v is used on P12 and P8 and P8 and P12 can be very common on AC too :) be careful! so if you program the clocks for 1 card hit apply in NVinspector and hit create shortcut do same for card two again hit create a shortcut after you hit apply. now go from P8 settings to P012 and do the same hit apply on the new clocks hit create shortcut change to card 2 and do the same once more. Now with those icons drag them into Startmenu programs > Startup :) restart and make sure they load for you :) again P8 is media on ac and 3dclocks and media on battery and P12 is idle clocks on ac and battery plus light browsing etc :)

post-34-14494992741337_thumb.png

post-34-14494992721442_thumb.png

post-34-14494992722239_thumb.png

post-34-14494992723009_thumb.png

post-34-1449499272376_thumb.png

post-34-14494992724619_thumb.png

post-34-14494992725371_thumb.png

post-34-14494992726198_thumb.png

post-34-14494992727215_thumb.png

post-34-1449499272817_thumb.png

post-34-1449499272958_thumb.png

post-34-14494992731044_thumb.png

post-34-14494992734112_thumb.png

post-34-14494992735306_thumb.png

post-34-14494992736595_thumb.png

post-34-14494992737854_thumb.png

post-34-14494992741133_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Im going to move on to testi g the original clocks as follows and report back. Also ill post the rest of screenshots from the above tests too.

The 250 core 324mem and 500 shaders...