MXM laptop information

Hello, I am looking at buying a laptop that does not need to be replaced every 2 years and can be used for gaming. So I am trying to find a good list of laptops that have MXM. 

From what I currently get:

-All modern alienware laptops support MXM

-Asus uses propritary MXM

-HP elitebooks use standard MXM but put BIOS barriers in place to stop you from upgrading

-Dell Precisions have MXM

-Clevo uses standard MXM

-Certain MSI gaming laptops have standard MXM

What specific MSI laptops or laptop series have MXM? The best info I have is random forum posts and Wikipedia.

Thanks

Edited by loshosorus
Clarity

• 2 months later...

I love Celvo laptops. This brand is not very popular, so the overprice is low. Their quality is very high, high upgradability, design is easy to maintain, and the cooling system has a reserve. And most importantly - there is no "gaming design bullshit". You understand what I mean.

Edited by GastStraus

On 10/19/2017 at 6:03 PM, Bloetschkopf said:

Only MSI GT Series use MXM,all other are soldered

Clevo aswell (MXM 3.0B and proprietary MXM)

The rest are BGA cr*p, even Alienware is BGA now.

Edited by runix18

• 1 month later...

Well, I am happy with my clevo p170sma, cheaper than others, decent upradability (I could go from 980m to 1070).

Extremely limited bios. So to upgrade gpu you have to use modified bios and drivers and also modified heatsink, not 100% sure about this last one. Cpu could be upgraded too.

Here you can have an idea of what I am talking about

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,285,0)CLEVO_P170SMA_SAGER_NP8278

• 2 months later...

It's true that the HP EliteBook has MXM but there are two standards.

"A" short.

"B" normal.

I own 8570W and there is the MXM "A" version.

Model 8770w has a "B" version

Not all models, however, have interchangeable cards.

Model 8570p does not have the MXM standard
There are many cards blocked in bios as described in the topic.

The GT series uses MXM for MSI. If you get a chance i would recommend to pick up anything the series of or after the p157sm for clevo. You can put anything from series 6 nvidia to 10 nvidia, and i've had reasonable success with even a 5870m in my p157sm-a. that means cheap cards, and since we have working confirmation of the 10 series it's likely if any other mxm standard sized 3.0b card comes out, there will be a way for it to work in the system. personally though i'm currently using a p870dm-g. just waiting for a motherboard replacement. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14.1.2018 at 1:56 PM, GastStraus said:

I love Celvo laptops. This brand is not very popular, so the overprice is low. Their quality is very high, high upgradability, design is easy to maintain, and the cooling system has a reserve. And most importantly - there is no "gaming design bullshit". You understand what I mean.

Quality good be better, especially for their older devices. Especially their loudspeakers are of a horrible quality. And I wont even start talking about their Bios ... *
However I truly love the freedom of choice, their easy to cutomize, maintanance, upgrade, change, repair, whatever. Those are not like fancy gaming laptops from MSI or worse ROG for example where everything is glued and nearly impossible to even repair. 

*Yesterday I installed a Samsung 970 Evo in my XMG u705 (P771ZM) and took any other HDD/SSD out. I was able to normaly install Windows 10 on it, everything just worked fine until the moment it rebooted to the fucking USB stick again! I restarted it, went into the bios just to see, that this fucking shitty bios doesn't even detect a simply M.2 SSD! And besides that, it is the cause for a ton of driver issues under anything newer than Windows 7 SP1.  *raging around* :angry:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will say that my Clevo P370EM-3 is still fantastic. It uses the 3 series processors, but can hold at least up to 32gb (if not 64 with modern chips), has several drive bays, and twin MXM 3.0b slots. It even supports SLI/Crossfire. Nvidia 3d vision works as well, fwiw. Battery life isn't even that terrible at about 4 hours for most things.

If you can find one, I highly recommend it. I have a pair of 680Ms in mine, but I know it can go to at least 980s. The only real downsides are weight and lack of power saving features, but let's face it - if you are looking into such a beast portability is probably a secondary concern.

Have a great one,

-TCH

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...