Alienware 18 various mods + eGpu

Dahx

Hello guys,

I'm here to ask some help for some ideas that I have inside my mind. For first I wish to improve the performance in game with a different gpu. At the beginning I was thinking to get rid of the SLI of 765m and put inside one gtx 980m but considering all the troubles with the 980m and still the expensive prices, i'm considering the idea of an eGPU on the PCI x1. First I wish to understand at which point and with which card I will experience  the bottleneck of the PCI X1 slot. Considering that I have to get rid of the wifi card I was thinking to buy a small wifi dongle to put inside the dmc port if this will be possible, any ideas  here ? I'm open to any ideas and suggestion, any information will be much appreciated !

most of the 980m that I found are brand new, but even those few used one are sold for a very expensive price in mine opinion. Not to mention that i have to buy the heatsink too, which in total are like $1000 upgrade, no way ! I rather build a mini gaming machine for that money... I know about the beast adaptor on mPcie and in fact I think I like more this idea, it's definitely cheaper. but again I don't know after which card I will get zero extra performance due to the limitations of the mPcie x1

In my opinion. you are going to have a bottleneck with any card due to the mPCIe speed. If you are not looking into mobile gaming, you can consider acquiring a budget desktop build with a 1060, which will probably cost you way less that $1,000 and will have a definitive improvement in comparison with your current setup. 

Good luck!

i already considered to build a brand new machine, but the cost is around $900 and is still not tiny enough to be really portable. What is portable is the alienware alpha r2 but again quite expensive....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.