Hi guys. 

As with the title, is there any way to get a m17x r3 to use UEFI or is this just a pipe dream? I read over the internet that this requires Dell company itself to refactor the BIOS and release it to the public. Well if that's the case many believe it would be easier to land a man on Mars then to get Dell's help on this issue. Does the hardware itself plays a roll in updating to UEFI ? Well if the motherboard itself doesn't support UEFI and its more of a hardware limitation rather than a software, please let me know and I'll let this dream go, once and for all. Well if not, does anyone else knows of any other way to get a m17x r3 to UEFI-capable ? Imagine fast-booting into win10 and more importantly, a chance to get a 980M working in a m17x r3. (from my understanding 880M is as far as the m17x r3 can go as the 980M requires UEFI-capabilities)

I know my laptop is approaching 7 years old and by now most m17xr3 are phrased out but i still believe there are some owners out there still kicking about with their madly modded-out r3s (like me).

Thanks for the read :D

An m17x r4 motherboard wouldn't fit in the R3 and neither would it function without the proper cpu and cables. The motherboard from the R3 just doesn't support uefi, there's no bios that can fix this since it was never a built-in feature, unlike the m14x r2, m17x r4 and m18x r2.

I did find a guy who got a 980m working in an m15x (doesn't support uefi as well) but I have no detailed information on that so it's a shot in the dark.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/970m-m15x.766985/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/980m-gtx-nvidia-card-on-m15x.805544/#post-10539414

maybe these threads might help you

2 minutes ago, naightmehr said:

An m17x r4 motherboard wouldn't fit in the R3 and neither would it function without the proper cpu and cables. The motherboard from the R3 just doesn't support uefi, there's no bios that can fix this since it was never a built-in feature, unlike the m14x r2, m17x r4 and m18x r2.

I did find a guy who got a 980m working in an m15x (doesn't support uefi as well) but I have no detailed information on that so it's a shot in the dark.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/980m-gtx-nvidia-card-on-m15x.805544/#post-10539414

i have installed m17x r4 motherboard in my m17x r3 ,,everything works, even my 2760qm processor...the only thing that does not work is the ALIENWARE TEXT LOGO as there is difference in its cable's wiring ..physically it looks the same...rest no issues

On 9/16/2017 at 2:40 PM, LanceL said:

You can buy M17XR4 motherboard and replace it.

And if you somehow finally managed to find a BIOS that supports UEFI, please let me know here as well.

Thanks.

On 9/17/2017 at 2:15 AM, ll_r1d0_ll said:

i have installed m17x r4 motherboard in my m17x r3 ,,everything works, even my 2760qm processor...the only thing that does not work is the ALIENWARE TEXT LOGO as there is difference in its cable's wiring ..physically it looks the same...rest no issues

Wow guys thanks ! I've never thought of doing that. Makes sense as the R4 is similarly built to the R3. And there's also a thread that showed how a guy got to pair a m17xr4 with a 1070. Well this changes my plan. Will look around for a cheap r4 mobo then consider my options with the 880m. If it's not viable might just settle for the 880m. I wonder tho if my 2960XM would have any issues with the r4 chipset, but if your 2760qm works then shouldnt be an issue for me too. Will look around for a thread to replace the r3 mobo with the r4. thanks! :)

Edited by newbinkin77

On 9/17/2017 at 2:11 AM, naightmehr said:

On 9/18/2017 at 10:06 PM, naightmehr said:

That's quite impressive, it keeps surprising me what we can do with these god created laptops. Next time I'll do my homework better.

So it's more hardware r3 mobo issue rather than BIOS/software that's limiting uefi capabilities. I suppose you are right that no fix will enable this. Well if thats the case then the r4 mobo replacement sounds like the only way i suppose. lancel seem to endorse this and ll_r1d0_ll have done it. Indeed God created laptops. :lol: Well I'll go around looking for threads to aid me then.

Okay sure. Will check out the 980m in the m15x threads to see if i can harvest some useful info. Thanks !

• Thumbs Up 1