SFF Build

Brian

• Founder

Making an SFF build for my girlfriend's brother, here's what I've found so far, feel free to comment/suggest changes since its been a while that I've built a desktop. The display we picked is this one.

[FONT=verdana]Note for this wish list(Add)

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]

Qty. Image Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
Update
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:Maximus IV Gene-Z/GE
Item #:N82E16813131806
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
In Stock
Note (Add)

$189.99 -$10.00 Instant $179.99
Update
Refurbished: ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express Wireless Adapter
Model #:PCE-N13
Item #:N82E16833320077
Return Policy:Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
In Stock
Note (Add)

$29.99 -$14.00 Instant $15.99
Update
LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS90B - OEM
Model #:GH22NS90B
Item #:N82E16827136240
In Stock
Note (Add)

$15.99 $15.99
Update
Thermaltake ARMOR A30 VM70001W2Z Black SECC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
Model #:VM70001W2Z
Item #:N82E16811133187
In Stock
Note (Add)

$119.99 $119.99
Update
EVGA 012-P3-2068-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores Classified 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI ...
Model #:012-P3-2068-KR
Item #:N82E16814130739
Return Policy:VGA Standard Return Policy
In Stock
Note (Add)

$299.99 $299.99
Update
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Model #:OCZ600MXSP
Item #:N82E16817341017
In Stock
Mail in Rebate Card
Note (Add)

$99.99 -$25.00 Instant $74.99
Update
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
Model #:BX80623I52500K
Item #:N82E16819115072
Return Policy:Iron Egg Replacement-Only Return Policy
In Stock
Note (Add)

$229.99 $229.99
Update
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
Model #:F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
Item #:N82E16820231429
Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy
In Stock
Note (Add)

$88.99 $88.99
Update
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:WD5000AAKX
Item #:N82E16822136769
In Stock
Note (Add)

$99.99 -$10.00 Instant $89.99
Update
LITE-ON SK-1688U/B Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard
Model #:SK-1688U/B
Item #:N82E16823107128
In Stock
Note (Add)

$7.99 $7.99
Subtotal: $1,123.90
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana]Select All - Select None[/FONT]

Edited by Brian

Nice standard smallsize rig :distracted:

I myself would choose one smaller in display size, because of the 1080p resolution, gives a higher pixelrate per inch.

Amazon.com: ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LCD Monitor - Black: Electronics

Compare:

24": ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Display- ASUS VS248H

22": ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Display- ASUS VS228H

Spend the money you save above to get one of the GTX 560 Ti Cards: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

They have more CudaCores 384 instead of 336 and higher clockrates.

You have the optical drive from an old rig?

Edited by Conker
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

Budget is $1200 max. We actually switched the display and cancelled the Asus one and instead got a refurbished Dell U2312HM. I think this one is a much better choice vs the Asus. Also switched the graphics card to the 560 Ti now, thanks for the suggestion.

[LEFT][FONT=Arial]Vivid clarity. Brilliant performance.

[FONT=arial][FONT=Arial]Find a reseller [/FONT] [FONT=Arial]See vivid imagery from almost any angle. The 23” Dell™ UltraSharp U2312HM monitor with LED offers a brilliant view, rich colors and adjustable height options.

[/FONT]

• Lose yourself in the details: Enjoy 1920x1080 (max) HD resolution, a vivid 2,000,000:1 (typical) dynamic contrast ratio and IPS technology for outstanding color consistency across a wide viewing range.
  • Stay comfortable and connected: Select your best view with a range of tilt, swivel, pivot and height options. Link to a range of devices with 4 USB ports, a DisplayPort, plus DVI and VGA connections.
  • Be environmentally conscious: Beyond offering efficiency and vivid detail, this monitor also meets EPEAT™ Gold standards and is ENERGY STAR® qualified.
[/FONT]

[LEFT]Gallery
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]360°[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Features[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial] [FONT=arial][FONT=Arial]Work brilliantly.

[/FONT] Your monitor is your window to inspiration. Enhance your vision with the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM with impressive features that can take your imagination to the next level.
[FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][/CENTER]

[/FONT] [FONT=arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=arial]One look is all it takes.

[FONT=Arial]The Dell UltraSharp U2312HM provides a remarkable viewing experience that can help inspire whatever you’re working on.

Amazing clarity: Enjoy crystal clear, true-to-life images with full 1920x1080 (max) resolution. Plus, get accurate, consistent colors regardless of your viewing angle with IPS technology.
Heightened contrast: Get razor-sharp, moving images free of motion blur with a 2,000,000:1 (typical) high dynamic contrast ratio and 8ms with overdrive (typical) gray-to-gray response time.
Vibrant colors: Experience an impressive 16.7 million colors displayed in rich, dramatic and accurate style with a wide color gamut at 82% (typical)1

[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT] [/FONT] [FONT=arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=arial]View your world your way.

[FONT=Arial]Your productivity demands comfortable and efficient use of your monitor. The Dell UltraSharp U2312HM monitor offers a wide range of customizable features to optimize your viewing experience for your comfort.
  • Adjust for optimum height: Maximize your viewing experience by adjusting the U2312HM to your desired height with its improved height adjustment range of 130mm (5.12 inches).
  • Every perspective matters: Choose portrait or landscape orientation on this 16:9 aspect ratio monitor. Tilt the panel up to 4° forward or 21° backward — even swivel it to the preferred angle.
  • Customize your settings: Change your energy usage settings and text brightness with the touch of a button. Make colors cooler or warmer with the easy-to-use color temperature slider.
[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT] [/FONT] [FONT=arial][FONT=Arial]This eco-conscious design shines bright.

The power management features, thoughtful design and adherence to strict energy standards make this monitor one smart choice. Meet the latest environmental standards The U2312HM meets EPEAT™ Gold and TCO Certified Displays standards, is ENERGY STAR® qualified and CECP compliant.

Manage power usage PowerNap software2, when enabled, lets you dim the monitor or put in sleep mode when not in use. Dynamic dimming3 automatically adjusts the brightness when images are extremely bright. You can even monitor your energy usage with a quick glance at the on-screen display.

Make a responsible choice The U2312HM is easy to recycle and made from environmentally responsible materials, such as an arsenic-free and mercury-free LED panel. It also has halogen-free laminates in its circuit boards.

[/FONT] [/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/LEFT]

Edited by Brian

We actually switched the display and cancelled the Asus one and instead got a refurbished Dell U2311HM.

Yeah, nice choice. Dell has great IPS displays. :joyous: I'm completely satisfied with my Dell U2412M.

Also switched the graphics card to the 560 Ti now, thanks for the suggestion.

Great. The ultimate edition of the GTX 560 is the one with the 448Cores and this is similar to a 570, think about it, if the budget allows it. :greedy_dollars:

Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-2068-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores Classified 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Edit: Videocardlength should be no problem checked that.

Edited by Conker
additional information
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
If you can pick the one with 448Cores, take it!! See this comparison review: GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 core review

Seems to give 3-5 fps gain in BF3 which is ok but I bet I could get that easily with a slight OC of the standard 560 Ti. The rest of the benchmarks saw anywhere from 5-10+ which was good but it is also $70 premium. I guess resale value will also be higher on those right? Hmmm sell the batman coupon for $30 and it should bring the cost down to around $270...seems worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice build Brian, I would definitely try to get the 448 core version as benchmarks in general seem to justify the price. It's also worth checking into 6970s as the 7970 has flooded the market with people trying to get rid of multiple 6xxx cards. Friend of mine picked up dual 6970s for $425. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

@Brian K.

could add a small SSD for boot drive/OS :)

OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-60G Vertex 3 Solid State Drive - 60GB, 2.5, SATA III, 6Gbps at TigerDirect.com

vertex 3 64gb $85

$140 1.5Tb hard drive / SATA 6Gbps / 5900 RPM (even though 5900rpm its a green efficient drive and studies showed given sata 6gbps and 64mb cache 5900vs 7200rpm made small difference but a lot in power savings. price per gig compared to the 500gb is extremely good large cost savings if can afford $50 more for HD :)

Seagate ST1500DL003 Barracuda Green Hard Drive - 1.5TB, SATA 6Gbps, 3.5 5900 RPM, 64MB at TigerDirect.com

found your tower cheaper... your paying $130 with the shipping 120+10 shipping see here

its 110 with free shipping :)

Thermaltake VM70001W2Z Armor A30 Case - Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX, Transparent Window, 2x 60mm Fan, 90mm LED Fan, 230mm LED Fan, 2x 5.25, 1 Ext 3.5, 2x Int 3.5, 1 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, 1x eSATA Front Ports at TigerDirect.com

Edit: added after Brian thanked post :)

:) Glad you liked my suggestion Brian not sure what caught your eye but glad to help :)

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I updated the first post with the final build we're going with. The Dell U2311HM has been ordered. :D Things I changed from the original build:

1. Asus 24" display to Dell U2311HM IPS display
  2. Evga z68 motherboard to Asus z68 motherboard
  3. External wireless to internal wireless adapter
  4. Added LG dvd burner
  5. Changed video card from 560 GTX to 448 core 560 Ti

I updated the first post with the final build we're going with. The Dell U2311HM has been ordered. :D Things I changed from the original build:

1. Asus 24" display to Dell U2311HM IPS display
  2. Evga z68 motherboard to Asus z68 motherboard
  3. External wireless to internal wireless adapter
  4. Added LG dvd burner
  5. Changed video card from 560 GTX to 448 core 560 Ti

Looks pretty nice for the price. :16_002:

4. Added LG dvd burner

No BluRay Drive?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

The funny thing is, many people talk about how desktops blow away notebooks like the Alienware M18x at a "fraction of the price" and after spec'ing this build, I realize that it isn't entirely true. For example, I purchased my M18x for $1700 and ended up with a 580M SLi equipped system. I spent an additional $500 on a 2920xm but I should be able to recover $250-$300 of that back selling the 2760QM so the end cost will be about $1900-$1950 for the notebook fully maxed out. Now performance wise, its superior to the desktop I'm building and with the refurb Dell display, the desktop is going to cost about $1400 total. While that's still $500 cheaper than my Alienware, it is also not as powerful since 2 x 580M is close to a desktop 580 GTX. The 2500k may be slightly faster than the 2920xm due to desktop cooling and overclocking but not by much.

So the best value I think for someone looking for portability AND power is to grab an Alienware M18x off the dell outlet using a 20-25% off coupon, you could score a deal even better than mine. One guy on NBR got 2960xm + 6990M Xfire, Killer Wireless N, Blu Ray, Intel Wireless 6300 etc for $2000! Of course I'm not oblivious to the fact that once a system like this desktop is built and initial costs are covered, upgrading it down the line w/a faster processor and GPU are much easier and cheaper than a notebook so the longevity is a lot better. That's why we opted to build a deskop vs getting him a gaming notebook (Asus G74 was our top pick btw).

Edited by Brian

• Founder

I have nothing to add except what i told you over our chat on gtalk. I would not recommend the thermaltake case. I've recently built a desktop for a friend who insisted on Thermaltake for a case. We bought the Thermaltake Armor MX case which seems to have quite favorable reviews on newegg, and i can not tell you how disappointed i was at it's quality. We even exchanged it since we thought our unit was bad, but the replacement was just as bad. There are a lot of neat ideas inside, they are just very poorly executed.

I know that i will never, ever buy a thermaltake product after that especially as there are quite a few good competitors out there (Antec & NZXT just to name a few)

My 0.02$.

P.S I noticed no SSD. Why like this ? :) surely a 40-60GB system drive can be fit if components are shifted around to fit the price roof.

Edited by Michael

The funny thing is, many people talk about how desktops blow away notebooks like the Alienware M18x at a "fraction of the price" and after spec'ing this build, I realize that it isn't entirely true. For example, I purchased my M18x for $1700 and ended up with a 580M SLi equipped system. I spent an additional $500 on a 2920xm but I should be able to recover $250-$300 of that back selling the 2760QM so the end cost will be about $1900-$1950 for the notebook fully maxed out. Now performance wise, its superior to the desktop I'm building and with the refurb Dell display, the desktop is going to cost about $1400 total. While that's still $500 cheaper than my Alienware, it is also not as powerful since 2 x 580M is close to a desktop 580 GTX. The 2500k may be slightly faster than the 2920xm due to desktop cooling and overclocking but not by much.

So the best value I think for someone looking for portability AND power is to grab an Alienware M18x off the dell outlet using a 20-25% off coupon, you could score a deal even better than mine. One guy on NBR got 2960xm + 6990M Xfire, Killer Wireless N, Blu Ray, Intel Wireless 6300 etc for $2000! Of course I'm not oblivious to the fact that once a system like this desktop is built and initial costs are covered, upgrading it down the line w/a faster processor and GPU are much easier and cheaper than a notebook so the longevity is a lot better. That's why we opted to build a deskop vs getting him a gaming notebook (Asus G74 was our top pick btw).

This is true, but outlet systems are second hand yeah? 2k here would buy this rig (I know because I'm helping sell it :) ) -

800D

2600k in Maximus IV Extreme

XSPC RASA 360 watercooling on CPU

Dual 3gb 580s

16gb 2133mhz RAM

120gb Vertex 3

1tb Caviar black

Asus 27"

My 18X was over 3k new with base CPU and RAM, no SSD etc. I still say desktops are the price/performance kings, but portability is of course not their forte. :)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

Laptops are good only IF you want portability, there is lack of space or both (or if you are just bored of desktops and need a different challenge when OCing).

To get a good discount will take too much time and too many phonecalls and even that won't guarantee something like 15% or more especially when the product was just released. Getting something from the outlet will almost certainly have something wrong. To fix that will require a serious amount of time (talking about many hours on the phone in the best case scenario, months in the worst).

If something breaks you still have to go through many hours on the phone even for the slightest fix, let alone cases like @mw86 's or like people from countries like that those laptops are not being sold directly from Dell (i.e. Greece - let alone the price you have to pay to buy one...).

Plus you never get the most out of your hardware out of the box (Throttling, poor cooling, power limitations, compatibility, etc....)

My next system will be a maxed out desktop unless I have to move again back to the States (very likely given the circumstances) and portability will be an issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
I have nothing to add except what i told you over our chat on gtalk. I would not recommend the thermaltake case. I've recently built a desktop for a friend who insisted on Thermaltake for a case. We bought the Thermaltake Armor MX case which seems to have quite favorable reviews on newegg, and i can not tell you how disappointed i was at it's quality. We even exchanged it since we thought our unit was bad, but the replacement was just as bad. There are a lot of neat ideas inside, they are just very poorly executed.

I know that i will never, ever buy a thermaltake product after that especially as there are quite a few good competitors out there (Antec & NZXT just to name a few)

My 0.02$.

P.S I noticed no SSD. Why like this ? :) surely a 40-60GB system drive can be fit if components are shifted around to fit the price roof.

The competing SFF cases I've found from Lian Li, Silverstone etc were all very boxy looking and not as modular as the TT.

This is true, but outlet systems are second hand yeah? 2k here would buy this rig (I know because I'm helping sell it :) ) -

800D

2600k in Maximus IV Extreme

XSPC RASA 360 watercooling on CPU

Dual 3gb 580s

16gb 2133mhz RAM

120gb Vertex 3

1tb Caviar black

Asus 27"

My 18X was over 3k new with base CPU and RAM, no SSD etc. I still say desktops are the price/performance kings, but portability is of course not their forte. :)

Well that's why I specifically mentioned Dell outlet and I should say only in the US. Here you can grab an M18x for a really good price with an outlet coupon.

Laptops are good only IF you want portability, there is lack of space or both (or if you are just bored of desktops and need a different challenge when OCing).

To get a good discount will take too much time and too many phonecalls and even that won't guarantee something like 15% or more especially when the product was just released. Getting something from the outlet will almost certainly have something wrong. To fix that will require a serious amount of time (talking about many hours on the phone in the best case scenario, months in the worst).

If something breaks you still have to go through many hours on the phone even for the slightest fix, let alone cases like @mw86 's or like people from countries like that those laptops are not being sold directly from Dell (i.e. Greece - let alone the price you have to pay to buy one...).

Plus you never get the most out of your hardware out of the box (Throttling, poor cooling, power limitations, compatibility, etc....)

My next system will be a maxed out desktop unless I have to move again back to the States (very likely given the circumstances) and portability will be an issue.

Getting a good discount is easy, I get e-mails from Dell outlet with the coupons so all you have to do is go on the website and pick a system and use the coupon, no haggling needed. Course outlet quality can be bad (like mine was) but a few phone calls later and I got a new one :D I saw what mw86 and others have gone through but without hearing exactly what they said to those reps and under what circumstances, its hard to judge. And I think it took mw86 a grand total of like 3 calls to get a fully maxed out system--not a bad deal I think.

Anyhow, we all know desktops are a better value, there's no contesting that, but they also aren't a fraction of the price like many claim. I was surprised that a relatively midrange build was going to cost us $1400 when I expected it to be down to like $1000 or below by now.

I agree with all of you :) basically your right Brian.. It took a bunch of problems to happen before they were will to talk upgrade but once the ball was rolling just a small handful of emails and calls and they uprgraded me. Just be careful BBB makes them crazy found out hard way... But the case was not effected for the worse for it. Someone that could talk better would get farther quicker... I am 25 i had not pulled i am the worst customer you will deal with may it would of been quicker who knows. Id say get a deal like Jimbo posted that beats price performance of anything mentioned. Now as for laptop vs desktop given same playing field and no discounts your aforementioned m18x costs $4000 + loaded and the desktop given no discount either still doesnt break that 2000 given the configuration you posted. But if one took the time in either system one may admittedly get an M18x for close to the same cost as the midrange desktop... But for most it wont come out that way like StamatisX said. So out of all three a used extremist desktop seems better given a $2000 budget id get Jimbos beast he posted its way powerful!

• Founder

Used configurations like Jimbo's mean having to deal with people over the internet and hoping they actually send you a working part. Dell outlet at least has the guarantee of a huge company behind it so the comparison is invalid. That's why I quoted a new desktop build vs refurb M18x because both are backed by a retailer, not some guy living in his mom's basement.

Used configurations like Jimbo's mean having to deal with people over the internet and hoping they actually send you a working part. Dell outlet at least has the guarantee of a huge company behind it so the comparison is invalid. That's why I quoted a new desktop build vs refurb M18x because both are backed by a retailer, not some guy living in his mom's basement.

Brian i can fully agree with that reasoning in that case... warranties are very important. :)

To debunk the thing on me too lets be honest Tech Inferno... no one would go through my troubles unless asking for upgrades free... Had i not i was just as easily and probably faster offered a replacement with exact same specs... So 1 for Alienware.... most wont go through what i went through or even what you went through Brian. We know to complain to get our way hence your low cost refurb is now a brand new Sli system :) peiced from 3 systems :) so cool Brian i get ya now :) shame the desktop jimbo posted idnt come with a warranty lol if it did 580 sli is the bomb. So you guys are decided on the original posts configuration now?

• Founder

Yeah the display has been ordered and we'er going to order the parts today or tomorrow. Dell put a temp auth. on his card when we tried ordering an M14x and we have to wait on that to be released before he can purchase the parts.

Yeah the display has been ordered and we'er going to order the parts today or tomorrow. Dell put a temp auth. on his card when we tried ordering an M14x and we have to wait on that to be released before he can purchase the parts.

dell financial being seperate entity from dell takes sometime to get their stuff done i had similar hold on credit during the original exchange process a year ago.

Show im sure its similar to the a refund on an order not shipped via Amazon and Credit Company has to take time to post the credit adjustments on the refund.

Edited by mw86

Agreed on the warranty, though I have to say laptops seem much more in need of it than desktops.

I think the solution is clear - work, save pennies, emulate Jimbo and buy both. :D :D

• Founder
Agreed on the warranty, though I have to say laptops seem much more in need of it than desktops.

I think the solution is clear - work, save pennies, emulate Jimbo and buy both. :D :D

That's the plan the day I settle down in one spot.