m18x - gpu fried / replacement works (well, posts) buts theres no output to screen

so after nearly 5 years - my factory 500 series gpu fried itself nicely, and it started throwing the dreaded 8 beeps and failing to post

full disclosure - it had shown signs of failing for a while, i just didnt have the funds or a spare machine to use. so until recently I was unable to do anything about it, I did however try to do as much research as possible around the impending gpu replacement.

i went through the process of upgrading from a 5xx series to an 8xx series (860m), and with the new gpu installed the machine posts without issue/loads all the way windows and plays its startup chime, however the new discrete card has no actual output (hdmi/vga/main screen) - if i remove the gpu, and run it via the intergrated graphics, all is well (so theres seemingly no issue with any other hardware).

just wondering if my black screen issue is due to not having installed an unlocked bios as yet (on the m18x). also - would I need to look at flashing the vbios on the new card? (the replacement is from an alienware/not a clevo, to the best of my knowledge)

seems i have to wait out a week before I can even attempt to answer my question myself, so I figured I might as well ask here.

oh, i forgot about the modified drivers. i do remember reading about it, shouldnt be a big deal i hope.

now just gotta wait out being able to download the bios and give it a whirl.

also - im guessing the 860m was one of the cards that alienware throttled - is it really worth the performance boost to unthrottle them by flashing the vbios?

If it were a bios issue I think you would just see a blank screen on boot, no post (I'm experiencing this right now). I think it's the drivers in windows stopping windows from booting fully. Since you already took your old gpu out, try reflowing it and getting it working, boot to windows and install the correct drivers.

so, been at it for a few hours this evening, and it seems the new gpu doesnt even detect in the bios with the igfx running primary (tried both slots), so i suspect the card must be a dud, or it should at least detect in the bios, and in at least one slot

shame, i was kinda hoping the 860m would work and id be able to get this thing firing again, now i wont be able to do anything with it til I can find a new card.

Edited by mrfunkyjunkie

I wouldn't junk that card just yet: Look this up but I believe when igfx is running the primary card will read as "undetected"

Your windows should detect it as generic video device. Once your modified driver is installed and you reboot the primary card should show up in the bios. I don't know about the 880's but  I would try to find your vbios from this site to help the throttling. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I havnt junked the card yet. but im still unsure of if its doa or not. the units still in parts, so I can easily re-check when time allows.

when I installed the card and set it to IGFX primary I can get into windows, but from memory it didnt detect any additional gfx card.

will probably have another crack over the weekend and will report back