Can't seem to fix error 43 (X220 / Exp GDC / GTX680 / Win10)

MetaBaron

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup a eGPU rig -  but no matter what I do I seem to be running into the infamous error code 43.

My setup:

• Thinkpad X220 i5 2.5GHz, 16GB ram (2x8GB @ 1600)
  • Modified 1.43 Bios
  • EXP GDC V8.4D PCI-express
  • Sparkle NVIDIA GeForce GTX680
  • Dell DA-2 power supply

Seemed like a common setup from what I could read before attempting the build, so I wasn't expecting any specific troubles. How wrong I was...

Steps I followed:

• Connect GPU and power plug into GDC, plug express card in laptop while power off
  • Power on the laptop, GDC starts fine, generic VGA adapter is detected
  • Install nvidia drivers, reboot
  • Card shows up, but with error code 43

Sometimes I'd get a blue / black screen of death, and changing the PTD switch to 14s would fix this, but error 43 would still be present. In both cases, hot-plugging the card would work fine - it gets detected in the device manager, but the error would be still there.

I had a few times where I got error 12 instead, so I went to the BIOS and changed the TOLUD to 3GB as suggested in some online discussions. That fixed error 12 but would just show error 43 again after reboot.

I read it might be a driver issue (although people said it should happen only with the new 10xx series of cards), so  I tried several versions of the drivers: latest, 375.64, 372.70, 372.54, but with no luck.

Here's a list of other stuff I tried by reading about other people's successful setups / troubleshooting experiences and looking for error 43 related threads:

• Setting PCIe Power Management off / on in the bios
  • Setting PCIe speed to gen1 manually
  • Enabling / disabling hotplugging for the pcie interface the card is installed in

But still no luck. Going crazy over this. Has anyone been in a similar position and can offer me advice? Thanks!

Edited by MetaBaron

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.