90 degrees GPU on P150SM-A - Update BIOS?

FernanZ

Hi guys this is my first post here.

I bought a couple of days ago a second hand Clevo P150SM-A. It's in mint condition, I changed the thermal paste on both CPU and GPU but I still get 90 degrees on the GPU under heavy load while gaming. My question is if it's normal on this laptop and means any risk to have it under 90 degrees while playing.

I ran Heaven Benchmark on Ultra and maximum temperature was also 90/92.

I've seen the Prema vBIOS, do you recommend updating BIOS to that one? Will the update itselft improve it, or do you have any recommendation?

Bit unexperienced.

Thank you!

Bios update isn't really the first thing you do when dealing with bad temps but may help. I don't have that model but those are bad temps especially after a repaste, you might want to recheck your paste job. While you're at it check your HS if its flat and makes good contact with the die.

Also what specs do you have?

3 hours ago, RiceNinja said:

Bios update isn't really the first thing you do when dealing with bad temps but may help. I don't have that model but those are bad temps especially after a repaste, you might want to recheck your paste job. While you're at it check your HS if its flat and makes good contact with the die.

Also what specs do you have?

Hi RiceNinja, thanks for your reply.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/htwingnut-review-of-sager-np8268-clevo-p150sm-a.748888/3

Clevo P150SM-A with a GTX 880M 8GB.  Paste job is ok. In the link I provide you, benchmarks with demanding games get 90 degrees and around so maybe it's quite normal. I have no throttling nor performance loss, but the colder the better, of course.

Thanks

Wow thanks, didn't have time to investigate too much into the forums so I really appreciate. Once I have time I might try some of those tips, but I think that for now I can only install Prema's BIOS as I have no tools with me, but I have no link :(, waiting for access to the WordPress blog.

@RiceNinja

EDIT: After investigating, I discovered that the laptop has an 880M but the heatsinks system it's for the 770M. 880m uses higer voltage and produces more heat, so the heatsink system for the 770m can't handle I would say.

I have been testing with an external screen running Heaven Benchmark and pressing on the heatsink over the chipset didn't make any changes. 

Edited by FernanZ
Additional info

As stated above a BIOS update won't change anything. 

You could try liquid Metal paste but be sure to only apply it on the gpus die.

You might also mod the heatsink by adding more pipes.

• 5 weeks later...

On 8/17/2017 at 4:44 PM, BAKED said:

You might also mod the heatsink by adding more pipes.

I got 4°C lower temps by drilling holes and attaching heatsinks to my old Asus G60, .

Trigger warning, laptop gore.

Spoiler

2GUvae6.jpg

Spoiler

46OmlwU.jpg

• 4 months later...

Check your machine with the nvidia inspector and look if you can use the temperature controller to priorize the temps. Look at pic...

image.thumb.png.d98475160d254f3fd3bb0ccbb8c8d723.png

Next use Liqiud Metall for your cooling system beetween die and the heatpipes...u will see, its works fine. The best is CoolLaboratory LIQUID Pro, alle others are bullshit. This is tested with 80 others pastes and liquids.

Regards

Hi there, 

I am owner of a P170 and used to have pretty bad temps (88ish) on my 980m, after some research on google I came out with a solution.

Problem: heatsink not completely flat to the gpu die, therefore poor heat transmission 

Solution: add a couple of washers on 2 heatsink screws to avoid this miss alignment 

To make fine adjustment, run furmark3D while tightening or loosing the screws and take a look to the temps how they increase or decrease.

Not at home atm, but I can take some pictures of my pc when I get there, so you see what I did.

Regards.