Graphic Card Upgrade

Adraesh

Hi all,

I own an Alienware MX17 R4 (from 2012/2013 don't remember well) running with the official A12 bios and I am planning to change the discreet NVIDIA 675M because unfortunately it died.

First and as I don't have so much money to spend on this, I am planning to change it by a 680M 4GO. Is this one a "good" choice ? Don't hesitate to propose me another GPU.

Is the installation of a 680M 4GO will require a unlocked bios version ? (A11 unlocked ?).

Do u know any website on which I can buy a 680M 4GO, I am really not a big fan of ebay...

Thank you in advance.

Hi Andresh,  I remeber when I had my Mx 14 R4 ( btw the same dead 675 :rofl:) and I upgrade it to a gtx 780m.

And now to answer ur questions:

1. Unlocked bios not necesary but recomended ( to be able to switch to SG Mode to enable optimus properly), you will need moded drivers to be able to install the drivers and use the card properly.

2. Ebay is a great place to buy, a large range of prices and options, just be careful from who you buy ( needs to be a reputable seller with a lot of sales and transactions, and a very good feedback)

3. When u change the card be sure to have a good thermal paste at hand or go to specialized service if u dont want to do it, otherwise its a plug and play fit.

Edited by runix18

Guys,

Thank you very much for your inputs!

So the next step for me is to define if I am going with a 680M 4GO or I go up with a 7/8/9 series (which will need unlocked bios).

I will probably come back to you when it will be time to install the new GC.

Thank a lot!

Edited by Adraesh

On ‎09‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 4:40 PM, Adraesh said:

or I go up with a 7/8/9 series (which will need unlocked bios).

I had a 980M with stock A13 and have a 1060 at the moment with stock A13.

Both installed with Windows 10 and no problems. So i think there is no need for a unlockes bios to swap the gpu.

Hello Zoldago,

Thanks for your input!

I am not sure to understand when people talk about "stock" bios, you probably talk about official bios right ?

In this way, where did you find the A13 official bios as the latest one on the dell website is the A12 ? https://www.dell.com/support/home/en/en/bgbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=XP73G

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Oh you are probably talking about this one: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=8RW9V ?

EDIT: Also about your 980M/1060M upgrade please not that I have a MX17R4 60hz and not 120hz, is this makes a difference if I choose to buy one of those cards ?

Edited by Adraesh

Thanks again Zoldago.

So, I will probably go for a 980M. A last question, do u think I need to upgrade my bios from stock A12 to A13 or it's not necessary ?

Thanks.

Edited by Adraesh

9 hours ago, SillyNewb said:

Oh wow. I might do that instead of a 980m then. How about driver-wise? Would I need a custom vBIOS or driver to run that or is it plug in play as long as you have an unlocked BIOS?

For the 980M and as Zoldago said, no need for an unlocked BIOS. The stock A12 - A13 is enough. I am not even sure if the modded inf (driver) is needed as well. I believe an UEFI windows installation is the only thing needed then it should be plug and play. Of course don't forget to buy a AC Adapter of 240w.

For the 1060M same as the 980M but you will need to have a 120hz display, an eDP one.

For the 1070M, the tuto is here : 

Edited by Adraesh

It's like Adraesh said, with full uefi Windows 10 Installation you can use the original A13 bios.

120Hz Display is needed for the 1060/1070 (1070 needs a lot work to the Chassis), 980M will work with 60Hz Display.

Driver mod is always needed if you go higher than 680M.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,, I need your expertise, I have a m17 r4, (2012) unlocked A15 bios thanks to Klem, it has a Gtx 675m in it now, 

I would like to know the best GPU to upgrade to without losing a lot of the factory functions of the alienware laptop, like being able to use both VGA functions such as intel 4000, and the factory bios for the cooling of the GPU, I don't want to solely rely on the nvidia

As a full dedicated GPU, let me know what VGA card to get and what vbios to use, I will gladly donate beer to you for your help, or point me to a member on this forum who can help me,

Thanks, Shelby,  Aka captcavy