Geocaching (fun with a GPS unit)

Staff Sargent

Geocaching is where you put coridates into a GPS and then find a cache that can have prizes or just a log book that you found it. Most are placed in interesting places like the photos below. This is in Pawtuckaway State Park in Notingham NH. All Photos were taken around the site where the cache was hidden.

Anyone else do this?

post-305-14494992381523_thumb.jpg

photos taken with a 3.2mp phone camera.

post-305-14494992380221_thumb.jpg

post-305-1449499238097_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site they have caches all over the world! Its a lot of fun for the family too. They vary in size and whats inside them. some are even more like a hunt as they will have many in a small area and you need to find them all to complete the hunt. it can be a lot of fun and gets you to places you never thought of going before.

Me and Wifey are going to "hide" one and put whats called a travel bug in it so people can take it and put it other places. It will have its own web page and everything so it can be tracked. in the searching area theres a link to a beta google maps with all the caches on it, when you look at the whole world its covered about 80% I would guess. The US is totally covered. Thinking maybe this weekend might try and find a few to get better ideas on where to hide ours.

So anyone else going to try this? I know once in a while we will try and find ones that are not near our home when we go on trips like to D.C. this summer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

OMG is it truly fun to do this....I had never heard of it till talking with Sarge about it. Now Im HOOKED!!!! If there is not one in your area you can always be the first to start one. Hell we have so many here its been hard to find a good location to drop our cache. anyways yall need to try this esp. those of you that are the outdoorsy types hehe great exercise great fam time and just all around fun!

There is so much forest here in New York if I had a GPS unit id love to try this out. They need to make an app for mobile as nearly all phones today have GPS it would be amazing to see a mobile app that taps into this same geocache network.

No problem, its great fun and great way to get outside. might even meet some people doing the same thing. That main site has tons of info and I even know that groups get together and have fun doing stuff centered around geocaching.