Asus UX303UB vBIOS flashing help required

jacob_

Hello everyone,

Sorry to just drop in like this (being new and all), but I really need some help. Usually I try to do with what I can find online, but this time I'm pretty much stuck in mud, unable to move.

So my problem is this. I have an Asus UX303UB Zenbook series computer with two GPUs. One being an integrated Intel 520 and the other one is a discrete Nvidia 940m. Im happy with what the computer ofers, but the Nvidia GPU gets so damn hot under load and its capped at 80 degrees which makes for some nasty BSODs and general driver crashes. I tried using using MSI Afterburner to underclock the Nvidia but it doesnt do much. In any case I would like to permanently underclock it to reduce the thermal stress.

So far I have tried NVFlash, both the regular one and the one with the certificate bypasses, to get info about the GPU BIOS, save it, and then flash it. This didn't work. I constantly get errors that the GPU is not configured and or not accessible. On some forum I someone wrote that in this case you should delete the GPU drivers and then try. Still didnt work. After that I found some more info suggesting that the vBIOS is probably a part of the main system BIOS and that I need to extract it somehow. Easier said than done.  First I tried to use FPT tool to read the system BIOS, which worked without any problems. However, after thinking about it, it didn't make much sense in reading it since the BIOS file is available on the Asus website (latest version: UX303UB-AS.206). In any case I had the file and it's the American Megatrends BIOS, AMI. So to actually extract the vBIOS I needed to use MMTool. I tried with both MMTool 4.5 and 5.0 (honestly, I had no idea which one I was supposed to use, still don't). Here is where it gets weird(er). After opening the BIOS file with MMTool, nothing happes, or should I say, nothing can be found about the vBIOS. In version 4.5 ticking the Link present checkbox produces no links at all so I tried manually reading every entry I had seen in the list (with both the Extract As is and Extract UnCompressed from the Extract FFS options) with a hex editor. Still nothing. Tried version 5.0 which doesnt even give me the Link present option (it's grayed out). Tried the extraction option with version 5.0 (a real pain in the butt, since there are more than twice items on the list it seems) and in some extracted files I found Nvidia entries but nothing seemd like a BIOS description. Still, I tried to open those with the MaxvellBiosTweaker Tool 1.36 (assuming I found the correct information that my card is from the Maxwell lineup) but the files were not recognized. The interesting part is that in both tools not even the Intel GPU is listed (and I assumed it should be).

So in the end, I came here looking for help and hope you will be willing and able to do so. I'm 90% sure that this is all my  mistake and that I am probably not using the tools as intened or that I am using the wrong versions. In any help, any advice will be appreciated.

TLDR

- hope to flash vBIOS on UX303UB with Nvidia 940M

- tried NVFlash tool, didn't work (with and without removing GPU drivers)

- tried NVFlash with certificate bypass, didn't work (with and without removing GPU drivers)

- used FPT tool to extract system BIOS and used vendor image as well, worked

- used MMTool 4.5 to extract vBIOS, link not listing, didn't work

- used MMTool 4.5 to extract vBIOS manually, not showing up, didn't work

- used MMTool 5.0 to extract vBIOS, link not listing, didn't work

- used MMTool 5.0 to extract vBIOS manually, some entries show up, dont look like vBIOS, didn't work

- tried with MaxwellBiosTweaker 1.36 just to make sure, didn't work

Thanks in advance. With respect.

• Bios Modder

Hi!
Send me your file backup of your bios. For creating backup of bios you can use attached program. Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as Administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me this archive "results".
http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/ul5knVKr/file.html

Also send me screenshot in NVIDIA Inspector (full window with overclocking sliders).

Hi Klem,

Thank you for the quick reply. Here is the link to an archive I made with the nvidia inspector screenshot and the results form the bios backup tool. Hope this is what you need.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/se27rh

By the way, if its not too much trouble, would you mind explaining a bit what I am doing. I woul like to learn more.

With respect.