Lenovo Y510p only boots into OneKey Recovery after upgrade to BIOS 3.05

Creaphis

UPDATE: So, this seems pretty flukey, but it's possible that I'm having some hard drive issues right after I upgraded my BIOS by pure coincidence. I managed to boot into Windows seemingly by luck, and then it automatically went into a round of disk error checking and repair. My computer is working fine now but I'm afraid to turn it off. I need to make a system backup sooner than later.

I've been wanting to upgrade the wireless card in my Lenovo Y510p for a long time, and some searches led me to this thread:

So far, the only step I've performed in that guide is step 0: I downloaded the official 3.05 version of the BIOS and installed the upgrade just by running the downloaded executable. The upgrade completed successfully and I continued using my computer with no problems afterward in the same session. However, I set my laptop into sleep mode and unplugged it, and some time overnight it entered hibernation or shut itself down. Now, I can't get it to boot normally. Here's what happens:

- When I press the regular power button, it immediately boots into Lenovo OneKey Recovery, and asks me to choose an image to use to restore the system partition. The OneKey Recovery interface also has the options to shutdown or reboot, but if I shutdown and turn the computer back on, or if I reboot, I end up right back at this same screen.

- When I press the "Novo" button, I get the normal menu asking me whether I want to boot normally, enter BIOS setup, start OneKey Recovery or enter the boot menu. However, if I try to boot normally from this menu (or upon exiting BIOS setup) then my computer immediately enters OneKey Recovery, just as above.

More info:

- My laptop might be from an earlier batch as it shipped with BIOS version 1.09, possibly version 1.07 (I'm not 100% sure because I didn't think I would ever need to know).

- My BIOS setup menu confirms that it's currently running version 3.05, and everything seems to be functioning properly within the menu itself.

- I haven't tried actually letting the recovery process complete itself yet because I don't have any user-created system partition backups (I'm lazy) and I don't want to reset my system partition back to factory default. I'd prefer not to set up my computer from scratch again if there's any possible way to avoid it. I'm also pretty sure that completing the recovery wouldn't even help - there shouldn't even be any problems with my hard drive or my OS install, because the only thing I've touched recently is my BIOS, and if my BIOS is messed up it'll probably stay that way even through a system partition image restoration.

The one idea I have is that, if my BIOS is messed up somehow, maybe the best way to fix this problem is for me to just finish this BIOS-modification project and flash a wireless-adaptor-whitelist-removed BIOS on top of the glitchy one. However, I can't finish the upgrade process if I can't even boot into Windows - the best I can probably do is to flash some stock version of the BIOS (and I'm not sure what version of the BIOS to flash or how to do it safely at this point).

Edited by Creaphis

• Bios Modder
On ‎01‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 2:09 AM, Creaphis said:

When I press the "Novo" button, I get the normal menu asking me whether I want to boot normally, enter BIOS setup, start OneKey Recovery or enter the boot menu.

Hi!

Press the "Novo" button, go in bios setup, set "Legacy" instead "UEFI", then F10 to save, then Enter. After that try boot in Windows.