Alienware m17X R4 gtx1070

Hello everyone, a couple of weeks ago I bought the 1070 from an0npl4y who did an amazing job with writing a great guide on how to install it, unfortunately it has not been working for me so far..

I've already tried contacting several people but their solutions give no results. Every time it gives me 8 beeps which means an LCD failure, the LCD is brand new, still has the plastic on it bought from here

So yeah I'm desperate to get it to work so far I've tried a few things:

1st: use the fn+f7 method to switch to gpu only, gives me 6 beeps.

2nd: after no success with the fn+f7 method I installed the unlocked bios, full uefi, display setting on PEG, and "Always enable PEG" turned ON, gives me 8 beeps 

3rd: remove the card, remove the cmos battery, hold f2 while starting up, bios defaults, insert the card, put it on PEG, Always enable PEG ON, and full uefi (disable load rom legacy, disable fast startup, disable windows 8 fast boot) again 8 beeps.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can try? Buying a new 1070 or 120hz screen would be the last resort option but unfortunately I can't conclude what's broken or if it's a bios option.

I have a R17x R4 with that exact screen, and a Gtx 880m.

I never had 8 beeps from my machine after putting the 880 in.

I got 8 beeps when i tried the 3D screen for the first time (without the 880m installed)

Because the Intel onboard cant drive that screen.

I cleaned the contacts for the Lcd on the motherboard before plugging in (and screwing it tight), also the leads in the Display cable itself are very thin and fragile.

It sounds to me that there is a problem with the 1070 you have, is it seated 100% in the mxm socket ?

It is seated 100%, the HD7970m works fine without the 3D screen, there's no pressure on the 1070 anywhere nor does it contact anything outside the heatsink. I know that the intel onboard doesn't work with the 120hz screen that's why I allowed PEG to run the video card only.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22.07.2017 at 2:14 AM, naightmehr said:

It is seated 100%, the HD7970m works fine without the 3D screen, there's no pressure on the 1070 anywhere nor does it contact anything outside the heatsink. I know that the intel onboard doesn't work with the 120hz screen that's why I allowed PEG to run the video card only.

Its strange becouse intel should be able to drive 120hz screen...

when i conected external 144hz monitor to my m17xr4 runing 7970m thru dp i was caped at 120hz by intel gpu becouse of optimus

so i disabled intel and went with only dedicated gpu mode and this allowed 144hz

The intel gpu can power an external 120hz monitor but not the internal 120hz monitor. For the laptop to boot it requires the screen to work for it to POST, but since the 1070 is dead it wouldn't give a screen thus it wouldn't boot to windows. My external 144hz screen runs fine on the 7970m, but the internal 120hz screen doesn't work with the 7970m.