Air cooling in Laptops

Hello everyone

I'm really a car mechanic turned laptop tweaker.

Started out with a Qosmio X875, one fan solution for both GPU and Cpu, 1 pipe for each of them.

During load the cpu reached boiling temps, 95-98. So what the heck can you do ?

I tore the thing apart, sawed out the bottom restrictive fan grilles and put in aluminum mesh.

Also sawed two squares just below the gpu heatsink to help the extra laptop cooler get it colder.

One improvement i made that i could see very easily from my car / turbo background was that the fan drew alot of hot air

from inside the chassis. Used a "p" gasket around the fan to force it to draw colder outside air.

Back to the heatsink itself, added 2 pipes with high strength steel epoxy on top of the Cpu pipe.

straight edge buffed and polished the copper sink that comes in contact with the die.

After hours of work epoxying, fabricating and finishing it off with Gelid paste.

Now the core reaches 69 max on full load. Still the top cover gets hot. 

Got tired of the crap Toshiba build quality, Alienware M17x R4 is the new machine. Build here will follow later with cooling mods.

Some of the stuff i see in it could be improved quite a bit, being a mass produced machine i understand you can only do so much to keep hot air from being drawn in.

Its a huge improvement over the Qosmio tho, instead of the brittle plastic its chassis is cast aluminum.

Yes there will be pictures of the thing, at work now.

Picture shown is the stock heatsink and fan on X875

x875.jpg