ncrs

M18x R1 980M single

Good time, everyone.

Got an AW M18x R1 with 580M SLI, 330W PSU, 100W heatsink and A05 svl7 unlocked BIOS.

Is it possible to upgrade the GPUs to a single 980M with Optimus?

Got a very good deal on 980M, don't know if it will work.

P.S. Searched lots of sites including this, but didn't find the exact answer.

Would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Good time, everyone.

Got an AW M18x R1 with 580M SLI, 330W PSU, 100W heatsink and A05 svl7 unlocked BIOS.

Is it possible to upgrade the GPUs to a single 980M with Optimus?

Got a very good deal on 980M, don't know if it will work.

P.S. Searched lots of sites including this, but didn't find the exact answer.

Would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Upgrade to the a11 unlocked bios
Then install video card you will need modified Nvidia drivers
I have a m18xr2 with m980 with win 7 love it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks for an answer. 

Mine is R1, A05 unlocked is the latest existing.

R2 proved to work with 980M, R1 is unconfirmed, but rumored incompatible.

On 7/5/2017 at 0:16 PM, ncrs said:

Thanks for an answer. 

Mine is R1, A05 unlocked is the latest existing.

R2 proved to work with 980M, R1 is unconfirmed, but rumored incompatible.

I have the same laptop as you. Do you have the 980M or are receiving it? 

The 980M works in full legacy mode thanks to @Swick1981 in the R2. The latest 1070 boots up and everything in the Dell Precision M6700 in full legacy mode as well. 

Going by this, I don't understand why the newer cards (980M, etc.) don't work in the R1. 

However, if you have the card, can you try testing this?

Remove Card2, go into BIOS and enable Optimus mode. 

Then replace 580M with 980M and see what happens. 

Optimus mode fixes the whole LVDS > eDP problem but other than that I don't see why it doesn't work. 

Maybe @Swick1981 knows why it didn't work in the R2 in legacy mode before either and can explain/help us with the R1. 

ssj92, i have a good priced offer for MSI 980M, but can't just make a test, only a clear purchase.

Read about M15x 2009ed, which is older, than M18x R1, but still works perfectly with 980M and have only Legacy BIOS.

So, i agree, there are no obvious reasons for 980M not to work with our M18x R1.

P.S. I've PM'ed Swick1981 with this question, may be we'll have a beam of hope.

Hey All,

Unfortunately, I worked with a member on the R1 but it is not compatible.  The R1 bios is technically not UEFI if I remember correctly (It's been OVER a year since we worked on it).

As such, I did take SLV7's unlocked bios and update to the latest supported by the M18xR1, but I was unable to get the 980m to work.  Again, it's been a REALLY long time since I worked on it, but I didn't really have ANY success, sadly!  I mean, I still do have a couple of idea's, actually, but they are VERY unlikely to work...  (sorry to be the bad news messenger!) :(

HOWEVER....  I am going to post the m18xR1 updated BIOS's that I did.

I've update the Intel RST (to multiple versions, you can choose) from v11 - 13

Updated CPU microcode

Updated On Board Video Bios & Settings...   :)  (Evil Grin)

Updated LAN Bios

These are just to name a FEW updates.  I hope you enjoy as I'm posting them on the site within the next day!  

Swick

14 hours ago, ncrs said:

ssj92, i have a good priced offer for MSI 980M, but can't just make a test, only a clear purchase.

Read about M15x 2009ed, which is older, than M18x R1, but still works perfectly with 980M and have only Legacy BIOS.

So, i agree, there are no obvious reasons for 980M not to work with our M18x R1.

P.S. I've PM'ed Swick1981 with this question, may be we'll have a beam of hope.

That's the system I remember people got it working in! M15x is pure legacy but works with 970m/980m, but M18xR1 cannot work with it. I still don't know why. It's been said by @Swick1981 and others that it's because of UEFI support but the M15x doesn't have any UEFI support, is older, but still works. 

It's not "UEFI", exactly, that the m18xR1 has.  It's more like a UEFI Wrapper...

The R1 bios is VERY screwy / different, sadly, with the wrapper.

I tried so many different ways to get the R1 to work with legacy with a 900+ series GPU, but to no avail. 

I was, finally, able to get the R2 to support it...   :)

HOWEVER, if someone has the m18xR1 and is willing to try a flash (that MAY go badly), let me know.  I have ONE idea left that I was too afraid to try, but my research shows it COULD work...  

Let me know...

On 7/28/2017 at 9:57 AM, Swick1981 said:

It's not "UEFI", exactly, that the m18xR1 has.  It's more like a UEFI Wrapper...

The R1 bios is VERY screwy / different, sadly, with the wrapper.

I tried so many different ways to get the R1 to work with legacy with a 900+ series GPU, but to no avail. 

I was, finally, able to get the R2 to support it...   :)

HOWEVER, if someone has the m18xR1 and is willing to try a flash (that MAY go badly), let me know.  I have ONE idea left that I was too afraid to try, but my research shows it COULD work...  

Let me know...

There wouldn't be anyway to recover using blind flash recovery? 

I don't have a 900M gpu and I'm still waiting for my R1 to come back from HIDEvolution, otherwise I would try it. 

Do you still have your M18x? If you wanna send the files, I can try when I get the R1 back. As long as there's a chance to recover using blind flash recovery I wouldn't mind testing. 

I been searching for the M18X R1 SVL7 A05 unlocked BIOS. Links are broken. Can somebody please lend a brother a hand?

On 8/30/2017 at 4:18 AM, BlackSheepA1 said:

I been searching for the M18X R1 SVL7 A05 unlocked BIOS. Links are broken. Can somebody please lend a brother a hand?

8 hours ago, Brian said:

Any chance I can get my status upgraded? I've been meaning to download this as well. :)

EDIT: Any chance you know if @Swick1981's version is better?

Edited by Vaeron

Hello i have an Alienware M18x r2 i7 3940xm 32gb ram 1Tb ssd killer wlan ac1535 and Gtx 880m 8gb im looking vor the  Prema v1 BIOS oc vBIOS + little oc where can i find it ? Is it the best bios mod for this cards? 

Has anyone had any breakthroughs in being able to use a 900 series card in the m18x r1? Like a modded bios that works?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By true2456
      Hey all, decided to get a cheap m15x and managed to get an msi gtx 980m along with it. I've ordered two fans I'm planning on trying to mod in, one being a 13 cfm dell m6700 fan and the other a 11cfm m4700 fan to try and help with the heat. I currently have a 210 or 240 watt? power adapter and a 920xm installed so I'm planning on undervolting the gpu. Is it best to do this inside afterburner or is better to do try and mod the vbios? Also will I have to flash the dell vbios onto my card to get it working with my system or will I just have to modify the .INF file?
    • By MatsueMaiku
      I've read a lot of conflicting posts about thermal pads for the CPU and GPU on the Alienware m15x. There are a lot of pictures out there detailing all of the different sized thermal pads that you need. In my experience, 1.5mm pads are perfect for everything on the Dell 980m and the 920xm. I was using 0.5mm pads at the time that I replaced both, so having the exact sizes was important. I think that I might have actually fried my 5850m in part due to not having thick enough thermal pads. I discovered that they had had not been making contact with the heatsink at all.
      I tried following the guide on techinferno and noticed that my gpu was actually bending (a lot) and certain areas weren't even making contact at all. I tried different layering of thermal pads through trial and error, looking for imprints of vrms and such. 1.5mm on everything worked the best.
      Some people are putting thermal pads on things that the manufacturers don't even put them on. I can't say what thicknesses are needed for these, but it will be more than 1.5mm.
      Anyway, I hope that this helps someone. I was using Arctic brand 0.5 thermal pads and stacking them in my testing. I have 1.5mm pads on the way now.
    • By p1npo1nt
      I'm going to be upgrading my Alienware M18x R1 with a GTX770m I purchased from ebay; 770m has a Dell P/N: HW6C9 for reference. I have a couple questions about performing this upgrade:

-Is the /unlocked/ version A05 bios necessary? I am receiving 8 beeps on startup with the dell factory A05 bios installed w/ the 770m
      -Is a vBIOS flash required for basic functionality and driver installs? 
      -If so, is there a link to a compatible vBIOS for this card, finally, a guide for installing the new vbios?

Any help is vastly appreciated, I've done some homework but I am new to upgrading MXM modules on laptops. 
    • By hackz
      Hello,

Recently, my Radeon R9 M290X stopped working (everything indicates it's broken). So, I was thinking about buying a Geforce 980m but everything I read about installing a 980m in an Alienware (GPU upgrade) mentioned about having to install modified drivers and turning off the driver signature enforcement.

My question is:
      why do we have to install modified drivers? Is there a way to install drivers directly from the official nVidia website? Modifying the BIOS and inserting UEFI drivers, or modifying the vBIOS? in order to use the official drivers?  
      Thanks in advance, I await a response.
    • By TheShortStackTech
      I recently got a 2010 27" iMac for free! Some further research concluded that the MXM slot in the iMac has been proven to work with a GTX 880m, including Mac OS! I used to play with a 7970 ghz edition, but ended up selling it for some more projects. I've been lagging along on a 5870 2gb and thought that with my switch to the free iMac, I might as well update my gpu. Heres the problem I was faced with: the 880m is a little underpowered on stock clocks. So, after even more research I discovered that the 980m was around the same as a 7970 performance wise. I ended up grabbing a deal on an 880m for only 160$, but I did want to share my findings with you guys.

*WARNING* ONLY 2009, 2010, AND 2011 IMACS HAVE THE MXM SLOT!!!! IF YOU ARE USING A 2012+ YOU CANNOT UPGRADE YOUR GPU

So the 980m used to work all the way up to mac os sierra. It's now high sierra, but the fix is still pretty simple.

What you will need:
      -thermal pads
      -copper ram heatsinks/ one of the specialized backplates that cools MXM memory modules.
      -Your graphics card
      -YOU NEED an imac 2011 gpu heatsink
      -GOOD thermal paste (Preferably liquid metal if youre comfortable with that)
      -IMAC 2010 power supply
      *As far as i know the power supply's between these 3 imac's are interchangeable, but the largest one is the 2010 variant, at the 310 watts, and the others are much lower.
      *Just from tdp we know that the 980m is 115w and the cpu's on these guys are most commonly 95w, thats allready 200 with out hdd, all the other components etc.
      -nvidia web drivers

READ THE FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY

Step 1: You must have all your mac os/ windows partitions set up with bootcamp, and MAKE SURE it boots into Mac OS and wont boot into anything else when you start it up AFTER the upgrade.
      *Remember nvidia web drivers must be installed before you upgrae
      Step 2: dremel/ cnc/ remove a couple parts of the VRM section of the imac 2011 heatsink, (You want your card IN HAND so you are able to make sure it fits correctly.
      step 3: Assemble the gpu assembly
      step 4: Re assemble the imac, with the new gpu.
      *This is where is gets slightly harder*
      step 5: You want to reset your iMac's System Management Controller, otherwise known as SMC.
      *DO NOT FLASH NVRAM OR PRAM, or you will have to redo the whole process, after you put your old gpu in to fix all the bootcamp problems and such
      *You can do this by plugging the power cord into your imac, waiting 30 seconds and NOT turning it on, unplug your power cord, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Wait another 30 seconds, then turn it on. (But not before reading the following to be prepared:)
      step 6: You need to force Mac OS to work with an unsupported card. this is a pretty simple process if you are comfortable with terminal.
      * I couldn't have found this without this page: 
      https://www.ifixit.com/Story/18646/Successful_iMac_Upgrade_to_GTX_880M
      "
      To make a non-apple provided Nvidia graphics card work in macOS Sierra you need to do the following…
      Start the computer in safe mode by holding shift.
      Get your BoardID by running this command in terminal
      echo "<result>$(ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice | awk -F'["|"]' '/board-id/{print $4}')</result>"
      Open the AppleGraphicsControl Kext using this command
      sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
      Use the arrow keys to go down until you see <key>ConfigMap</key> followed by a bunch of keys and strings.
      LOOK FOR YOUR BOARD ID…
      IF IT IS LISTED: Change the string to <string>none</string>
      IF IT IS NOT LISTED: Add it in the same format as the ones listed.
      Save the file by pressing Ctrl+O, then enter.
      Exit by pressing Ctrl+X
      Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands:
      sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
      AND
      sudo kextcache -system-caches
      Have Fun!

Theoretically this should work, and I would love for somebody to try as I got an 880m instead. Just keep in mind this is all from research and has not been proven to work. Be sure to research this subject before you try it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.