ncrs

M18x R1 980M single

Good time, everyone.

Got an AW M18x R1 with 580M SLI, 330W PSU, 100W heatsink and A05 svl7 unlocked BIOS.

Is it possible to upgrade the GPUs to a single 980M with Optimus?

Got a very good deal on 980M, don't know if it will work.

P.S. Searched lots of sites including this, but didn't find the exact answer.

Would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Good time, everyone.

Got an AW M18x R1 with 580M SLI, 330W PSU, 100W heatsink and A05 svl7 unlocked BIOS.

Is it possible to upgrade the GPUs to a single 980M with Optimus?

Got a very good deal on 980M, don't know if it will work.

P.S. Searched lots of sites including this, but didn't find the exact answer.

Would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Upgrade to the a11 unlocked bios
Then install video card you will need modified Nvidia drivers
I have a m18xr2 with m980 with win 7 love it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks for an answer. 

Mine is R1, A05 unlocked is the latest existing.

R2 proved to work with 980M, R1 is unconfirmed, but rumored incompatible.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2017 at 0:16 PM, ncrs said:

Thanks for an answer. 

Mine is R1, A05 unlocked is the latest existing.

R2 proved to work with 980M, R1 is unconfirmed, but rumored incompatible.

I have the same laptop as you. Do you have the 980M or are receiving it? 

The 980M works in full legacy mode thanks to @Swick1981 in the R2. The latest 1070 boots up and everything in the Dell Precision M6700 in full legacy mode as well. 

Going by this, I don't understand why the newer cards (980M, etc.) don't work in the R1. 

However, if you have the card, can you try testing this?

Remove Card2, go into BIOS and enable Optimus mode. 

Then replace 580M with 980M and see what happens. 

Optimus mode fixes the whole LVDS > eDP problem but other than that I don't see why it doesn't work. 

Maybe @Swick1981 knows why it didn't work in the R2 in legacy mode before either and can explain/help us with the R1. 

ssj92, i have a good priced offer for MSI 980M, but can't just make a test, only a clear purchase.

Read about M15x 2009ed, which is older, than M18x R1, but still works perfectly with 980M and have only Legacy BIOS.

So, i agree, there are no obvious reasons for 980M not to work with our M18x R1.

P.S. I've PM'ed Swick1981 with this question, may be we'll have a beam of hope.

Hey All,

Unfortunately, I worked with a member on the R1 but it is not compatible.  The R1 bios is technically not UEFI if I remember correctly (It's been OVER a year since we worked on it).

As such, I did take SLV7's unlocked bios and update to the latest supported by the M18xR1, but I was unable to get the 980m to work.  Again, it's been a REALLY long time since I worked on it, but I didn't really have ANY success, sadly!  I mean, I still do have a couple of idea's, actually, but they are VERY unlikely to work...  (sorry to be the bad news messenger!) :(

HOWEVER....  I am going to post the m18xR1 updated BIOS's that I did.

I've update the Intel RST (to multiple versions, you can choose) from v11 - 13

Updated CPU microcode

Updated On Board Video Bios & Settings...   :)  (Evil Grin)

Updated LAN Bios

These are just to name a FEW updates.  I hope you enjoy as I'm posting them on the site within the next day!  

Swick

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, ncrs said:

ssj92, i have a good priced offer for MSI 980M, but can't just make a test, only a clear purchase.

Read about M15x 2009ed, which is older, than M18x R1, but still works perfectly with 980M and have only Legacy BIOS.

So, i agree, there are no obvious reasons for 980M not to work with our M18x R1.

P.S. I've PM'ed Swick1981 with this question, may be we'll have a beam of hope.

That's the system I remember people got it working in! M15x is pure legacy but works with 970m/980m, but M18xR1 cannot work with it. I still don't know why. It's been said by @Swick1981 and others that it's because of UEFI support but the M15x doesn't have any UEFI support, is older, but still works. 

It's not "UEFI", exactly, that the m18xR1 has.  It's more like a UEFI Wrapper...

The R1 bios is VERY screwy / different, sadly, with the wrapper.

I tried so many different ways to get the R1 to work with legacy with a 900+ series GPU, but to no avail. 

I was, finally, able to get the R2 to support it...   :)

HOWEVER, if someone has the m18xR1 and is willing to try a flash (that MAY go badly), let me know.  I have ONE idea left that I was too afraid to try, but my research shows it COULD work...  

Let me know...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/28/2017 at 9:57 AM, Swick1981 said:

It's not "UEFI", exactly, that the m18xR1 has.  It's more like a UEFI Wrapper...

The R1 bios is VERY screwy / different, sadly, with the wrapper.

I tried so many different ways to get the R1 to work with legacy with a 900+ series GPU, but to no avail. 

I was, finally, able to get the R2 to support it...   :)

HOWEVER, if someone has the m18xR1 and is willing to try a flash (that MAY go badly), let me know.  I have ONE idea left that I was too afraid to try, but my research shows it COULD work...  

Let me know...

There wouldn't be anyway to recover using blind flash recovery? 

I don't have a 900M gpu and I'm still waiting for my R1 to come back from HIDEvolution, otherwise I would try it. 

Do you still have your M18x? If you wanna send the files, I can try when I get the R1 back. As long as there's a chance to recover using blind flash recovery I wouldn't mind testing. 

I been searching for the M18X R1 SVL7 A05 unlocked BIOS. Links are broken. Can somebody please lend a brother a hand?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2017 at 4:18 AM, BlackSheepA1 said:

I been searching for the M18X R1 SVL7 A05 unlocked BIOS. Links are broken. Can somebody please lend a brother a hand?

8 hours ago, Brian said:

Any chance I can get my status upgraded? I've been meaning to download this as well. :)

EDIT: Any chance you know if @Swick1981's version is better?

Edited by Vaeron

Hello i have an Alienware M18x r2 i7 3940xm 32gb ram 1Tb ssd killer wlan ac1535 and Gtx 880m 8gb im looking vor the  Prema v1 BIOS oc vBIOS + little oc where can i find it ? Is it the best bios mod for this cards? 

Has anyone had any breakthroughs in being able to use a 900 series card in the m18x r1? Like a modded bios that works?