Clevo P65 RS-G Throttling Issue(Intel core i7 6820HK)

timbabs1

The Intel core i7 6820HK throttles due to Current limit throttling (according to Intel extreme utility) and EDP Other (according to limit reasons in throttle stop)

This only happens once the GPU GTX 1070 is under load(CPU+GPU workload) but when its a CPU only work load such as CPU-Z benchmark or throttle stop bench it doesn't throttle

It drops its frequency from any set frequency apart from the 3.2ghz default so if I was to OC to 3.5ghz it would keep dropping to 3.1ghz and sometimes even lower. More information can be requested and sent.

Any help to alleviate this issue will be much appreciated? thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-06-28 at 3:37 AM, timbabs1 said:

The Intel core i7 6820HK throttles due to Current limit throttling (according to Intel extreme utility) and EDP Other (according to limit reasons in throttle stop)

This only happens once the GPU GTX 1070 is under load(CPU+GPU workload) but when its a CPU only work load such as CPU-Z benchmark or throttle stop bench it doesn't throttle

It drops its frequency from any set frequency apart from the 3.2ghz default so if I was to OC to 3.5ghz it would keep dropping to 3.1ghz and sometimes even lower. More information can be requested and sent.

Any help to alleviate this issue will be much appreciated? thanks

The TDP on the 6820HK is quite low which will be a limiting factor, it's unlocked but it's rather useless as it can only be slightly overclocked. 

As KrackDaddyKane  said the throttling might be due to power supply issues, either it's bad or the wattage is too low, in that case you need a bigger psu. 

Edited by BAKED

On 07/07/2017 at 9:12 PM, BAKED said:

The TDP on the 6820HK is quite low which will be a limiting factor, it's unlocked but it's rather useless as it can only be slightly overclocked. 

As KrackDaddyKane  said the throttling might be due to power supply issues, either it's bad or the wattage is too low, in that case you need a bigger psu. 

Is there a bigger powersupply for my laptop Clevo P650RS-G?

BTW I got an update on the issue when I RMA'd my laptop. I will attach screenshot of the reply the engineer of my local distributor gave. He said he has been able to overclock it without throttling (wondering how he did it). But I will have a look when the laptop gets delivered today.

RMA screenshot.png

I have exacty same laptop and also have this issue. Unfortunately using bigger power supply didn't help.

I spent many days OCing and trying to get system stable on full load but I always failed.

Hopefuly someday someone will help us with modified BIOS :)

Yh I just got it back and have tested it, unfortunately the issue isn't fixed and I have contacted the engineer but haven't gotten a reply yet.

I will be looking for other options atm and yh hopefully a bios comes out that fixes it 

BTW @BAKED would be nice enough to please have a look at the bios settings or unlocked settings and see if anything can be done. Thanks.

8 hours ago, timbabs1 said:

Yh I just got it back and have tested it, unfortunately the issue isn't fixed and I have contacted the engineer but haven't gotten a reply yet.

I will be looking for other options atm and yh hopefully a bios comes out that fixes it 

BTW @BAKED would be nice enough to please have a look at the bios settings or unlocked settings and see if anything can be done. Thanks.

I will make new versions soon :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...