Upgrading to an SSD

Granty

Hi guys. I have had my egpu setup and running fine for the past year or so on my mbp (mid 2012) which has a hdd drive.

I now want to improve the gaming performance, so I've bought an ssd.

I manage to get through all the steps in eGPU Setup 1.2 but when i go through the bootloader, it says at the very end "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".

I'm guessing it is to do with my ssd being in the optical drive bay location (i assume this is hd1) and the original hdd (hd0) being disconnected, so windows can't see it when in bootloader.

I think I need to edit the config file for the chainloader, so the bootloader reads the ssd but what exactly do i need to change? 

I tried changing the map section (line 55):

map --harddrives=1

if "%DRV%"=="C"

map (%FIRSTHDD%) (hd0)

Changing the (hd0) to (hd1) put the bootloader in a loop!? So I am not sure what to try next...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I think you should make the changes in the BIOS ...
In the boot options, put your SSD drive first, and disable the rest.

I hope I have really understood your problem, this would be a solution for notebooks and PCs ...

Hugs

3 hours ago, misiozol said:

Can u tell me why not just clone hdd to ssd ?

Hi. The hdd is 500gb but my ssd is just 120gb. So the plan was to store the games on the hdd, with Windows 10 on the ssd. 

2 hours ago, Arthur MN said:

I think you should make the changes in the BIOS ...
In the boot options, put your SSD drive first, and disable the rest.

I hope I have really understood your problem, this would be a solution for notebooks and PCs ...

Hugs

Changes in the BIOS sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how to do that on my Macbook 9,1 (Mid 2012).

I can get through the pci compaction process, have all the 'Yes' answers, but I go through the EFI boot, using the Alt key, I then press 1 in the menu, the bootloader runs through all the way to the end but it can't get past the chainloading stage because it is looking for a drive set to 'mbr'. But my ssd is 'gpt' and I can't seem to successfully convert it to 'mbr'.

I see there is software online (AOMEI at disk-partition.com), they claim it can convert gpt to mbr and vice versa but you have to purchase their 'Pro' version $45 (it may not even work).

Is it at all possible to make this DIY eGPU setup work with a gpt partitioned ssd? 

Any ideas?

Edited by Granty
spelling

1 hour ago, Granty said:

Hi. The hdd is 500gb but my ssd is just 120gb. So the plan was to store the games on the hdd, with Windows 10 on the ssd. 

I see no problem here, move games to hdd check that all is working and clone system hdd do ssd , so where is problem ? and no egpu will not work on gpt .

Edited by misiozol

1 minute ago, misiozol said:

I see no problem here, move games to hdd check that all is working and clone hdd do ssd , so where is problem ?

What cloning software would you recommend?

Just now, misiozol said:

there is quite few of them if u have samsung ssd u'll have it on instalation disc ;)

Ah yes I do have a Samsung installation disk... but unfortunately my ssd is currently in the optical bay of my laptop. Doh! :whistle: (Perhaps I can download it from Samsung instead).

My hdd has 340gb of data. so won't fit on my 120gb ssd - I just need Windows on the ssd. It'd be easier if I just build a proper gaming rig!

@misiozol Well I finally managed to solve my issues. I deleted a load of files on my HDD to get the data useage down to just 50gb, and then cloned it straight to the SSD using the Samsung software - it worked perfectly! :w00t:

I also managed to get my eGPU all setup and running too, so glad that's sorted now, such a frustrating process to go through - definitely helps if you are stubborn. Now hopefully gaming performance has improved a bit!? 

Dear Granty

14 hours ago, Granty said:

Changes in the BIOS sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how to do that on my Macbook 9,1 (Mid 2012).

I can get through the pci compaction process, have all the 'Yes' answers, but I go through the EFI boot, using the Alt key, I then press 1 in the menu, the bootloader runs through all the way to the end but it can't get past the chainloading stage because it is looking for a drive set to 'mbr'. But my ssd is 'gpt' and I can't seem to successfully convert it to 'mbr'.

I see there is software online (AOMEI at disk-partition.com), they claim it can convert gpt to mbr and vice versa but you have to purchase their 'Pro' version $45 (it may not even work).

Is it at all possible to make this DIY eGPU setup work with a gpt partitioned ssd? 

Any ideas?

You can convert from GPT to MBR using DISKPART, so you have to enter the command prompt as administrator, and type diskpart, then type list disk to show all the storage units, now type select disk and add the corresponding letter to the disk. Your SSD.
Finally type convert mbr, and it will be ready ...

Lets see if it works ...

* If you want to access your Mac's settings, follow these steps:

1- Turn off your MacBook.
2 - Turn it on after it is completely off.
3- Press "Command", "Option" and the letters "O" and "F" simultaneously before the system starts.
4- Hold these keys until the request screen appears.

Edited by Arthur MN
I added additional information
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Arthur MN said:

Dear Granty

You can convert from GPT to MBR using DISKPART, so you have to enter the command prompt as administrator, and type diskpart, then type list disk to show all the storage units, now type select disk and add the corresponding letter to the disk. Your SSD.
Finally type convert mbr, and it will be ready ...

Lets see if it works ...

* If you want to access your Mac's settings, follow these steps:

1- Turn off your MacBook.
2 - Turn it on after it is completely off.
3- Press "Command", "Option" and the letters "O" and "F" simultaneously before the system starts.
4- Hold these keys until the request screen appears.

Thanks for the information.

I actually tried using Diskpart to convert the drive but it wouldn't work.

I ended up deleting a load of files and then cloning my hdd to the ssd. Everything works perfectly now. 

Thanks

Edited by Granty
spelling

51 minutes ago, Granty said:

Thanks for the information.

I actually tried using Diskpart to convert the drive but it wouldn't work.

I ended up deleting a load of files and then cloning my hdd to the ssd. Everything works perfecrly now. 

Thanks

It's a wonderful world now ... hehehe

:)

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.