eGPU setup killed GPU fans?

servili007

So I've had good luck setting up a Lenovo Z580 with a mini pcie eGPU using the EXP GDC powered by a DA-2. While many things have been going right with this setup, like a custom bios with every option unlocked, one thing has been a bit of a headscratcher.

Taking an EVGA GTX 970 that was perfectly functional, I used it while setting up this eGPU rig. Things seemed relatively normal for a while, but I noticed after a number of reboots that one of the two fans on the GPU had stopped working. I yanked the gpu and put it on my test bench, and fed the fan 12V directly, and sure enough, it was dead (though the RPM meter still worked). I thought this odd but maybe just luck of the draw, until a couple of days later when the other fan also failed. I put it on the test bench again (where the second failed fan originally worked fine off the direct 12v feed by the way) and sure enough, it was definitely dead. I was paying more attention the second time, and verified that the fan did not fail while running. It specifically failed after a shutdown and power on cycle, where it didn't spin up at power on. I couldn't get at the components of the fan to do a full inspection due to not wanting to invalidate my warranty. This card was perfectly fine and had a stable life before being put on the EXP GDC.

Has anyone experienced something like this? The DA-2 appears to be feeding a stable 12.1-12.3V, and I'm not sure what else I can check before putting my exchanged GPU on the eGPU. Thoughts?

I do not see how it could be @ fault  if fans are driven direct by card , first card would die then fans, only option is to check card for fault but that is where warranty comes in ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.