M18X R1 GPU Upgrade issues - GTX765M

T-Face

Recently a new owner of a m18x R1 Alienware I picked up for only $250

It came with a GTX560M installed which is pretty lax for these days, managed to pick up a GTX 765M on ebay for roughly $80, However having some issues since installation.

At first installation it was only a black screen and would not post. I reinstalled the GTX 560M and awaited a secondary heat-sink to install it into the second slot independently.

Once I received it, I installed it with relative ease and windows recognizes it... as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", figured I only needed to do an INF mod in order to install it, however it only gave me a code 43 on startup and have been flashing the vbios with several different bios's without luck. Is there anything I need to do beforehand that will make it work? Or do I just need to find the right vbios? It was already obvious the stock one did not work as is (which I still have backed up just in case). 

One thing I do NOT have access to is the m18x BIOS, it is password locked and cMOS wipe did NOT work.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2017 at 2:02 AM, T-Face said:

Recently a new owner of a m18x R1 Alienware I picked up for only $250

It came with a GTX560M installed which is pretty lax for these days, managed to pick up a GTX 765M on ebay for roughly $80, However having some issues since installation.

At first installation it was only a black screen and would not post. I reinstalled the GTX 560M and awaited a secondary heat-sink to install it into the second slot independently.

Once I received it, I installed it with relative ease and windows recognizes it... as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", figured I only needed to do an INF mod in order to install it, however it only gave me a code 43 on startup and have been flashing the vbios with several different bios's without luck. Is there anything I need to do beforehand that will make it work? Or do I just need to find the right vbios? It was already obvious the stock one did not work as is (which I still have backed up just in case). 

One thing I do NOT have access to is the m18x BIOS, it is password locked and cMOS wipe did NOT work.

Since removing the cmos hasn't gotten rid of the password you should try a blind bios reset. I found this guide on another forum, but don't know the rules for posting links here, so I'll quote. The quote is referring to the official bios versions given by dell/alienware. Also, if you want the 765m to work in your m18x r1 you'll have to then upgrade to the A05 bios, which can be found here.

Extract the contents of the A02 or A03 to a new folder anywhere on your desktop in there you should have a bunch of files. (9 in total)

Look for the one called PAR10MEC.fd

Rename this file to PAR10X64.fd
Place the file PAR10X64.fd on a formatted fat32 usb stick on its own.

Thats it. Blind created

Recovery process

To do the recovery process
you need to remove your m18x battery
unplug the back power cord as well
plug the usb stick with the file PAR10X64.fd in the M18X's e-sata port

Now hold down the END key (located above the numbers key pad) at the same time while your holding the END key plug in the power cord only, you will hear the fans turn on full bolt.

release the end key and wait

After a few seconds once the file is read from the USB stick you will hear between 20 or more beeps (sounds like a garbage truck reversing)

This beeping may continue for more than 5 minutes - Do not interrupt it or your motherboard will be bricked

After the beeps stop the m18x will shut down and reboot itself. (1 or 2 times depending)

Once reboot all will be back to normal. (A02 or A03 which ever you select originally )

Connect the battery back if you wish after successfull boot

thanks

Full credit must go to LVNeptune from the M17x forums for his hard work with his 580m :)

Edited by killkingkong

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who posted here. Seems this is the exact issue I've been having. was going to do a VBIOS upgrade and that the reason i landed on this page. Fortunately this post has opened my eyes and i feel now the solution lies in a A05 Unlocked Bios upgrade. I was hoping this does not go down the drains. 

Sorry I'm a new member here. But is there a forum link one can share where the procedure to upgrade the BIOS is provided.. to be precise unlocked BIOS please.