Event 4101 Display Driver stopped responding

I have  Lenovo e540 with an EXP GDC Beast 8.4d and a GTX 660.

The nvidia display driver crashes with a black screen for a few seconds when launching some games or when the egpu is used for a while, it sometimes will recover

My external power supply is 350W and the card has a power consumption of 140W so I do not think this is a power issue.

"Event 4101

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

What I have tried:

A GTS450 instead of the GTX 660.

Setting the PCIe port to Gen 1 in egpu setup.

Setting the PCIe port to Gen 2 in egpu setup.

Setting the Nvidia power management to maximize performance in the Nvidia control panel.

Going back to the driver version 327.23, I got a blue screen instead of a crash when using this version.

Disabling HDMI audio in the Nvidia control panel.

Any suggestions or advice on this issue?

Thank you

8 hours ago, misiozol said:

Suggestion I did put :D , most likely PSU is dying what amps have 12V line in psu ? 350w is total for psu ;)

The yellow 12V line has 16A, I had tried with another PSU in the past and it made no difference.

I tried the tin foil to block any EM interference, there is a gap in the plastic below the mPCIe connector and if anything conductive like tin foil makes contact with the pins below the plastic then it shuts down the laptop and it will not turn back on unless battery and BIOS battery are removed and put back, so that is out of the question.

Put the PSU power cable in its own socket, no extension. Now I also get "The 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660' device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged." when trying a game I know to cause problems with the egpu.

Remembered that I used another PSU in the past, still had the same issue.

No USB devices are in the EXP GDC to cause interference.

Edited by 09williamsad

I do think that ur PSUs are garbage ;) , I do have gtx980 and tested 5 or 6 different psu even 24A one, and all have same issue sudden request of power from gpu is treated as short circuit as other circuits have no drain on them and shuts of for a milisec to test this circuit, for GPU this is to much of voltage drop and it sends reset command .

3 minutes ago, misiozol said:

I do think that ur PSUs are garbage ;) , I do have gtx980 and tested 5 or 6 different psu even 24A one, and all have same issue sudden request of power from gpu is treated as short circuit as other circuits have no drain on them and shuts of for a milisec to test this circuit, for GPU this is to much of voltage drop and it sends reset command .

What do you suggest?

I am not sure how I would test for this PSU issue without getting a load of PSUs and trying each one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.