Argh!

daveh98

Well when I finally got my 580M SLI properly installed with the proper parts from Dell, I realized that SLI was not working despite being perfectly intact. I checked device manager and saw that it was throwing a Code 43 error. Internet searching showed little in terms of leads outside of disable/enable, or update drivers so after another hour with Dell, they decided to send the system back to them.

I just got my system back today. First boot showed SLI working! Tried to fire up a game and got a system crash BSOD. Upon reboot I saw that both GPU's were throwing the Error 43 code now. Awaiting to see what Dell does now.

I am really going to advocate for a "lemon system" as I have had numerous issues with this m18x. They stated to me prior to sending in the system that "this will be the last repair attempt" but I never hold my breath with Dell anymore.

My m17x R2 was ROCK SOLID and I am feeling like this is even worse than the m15x I got in 2008 that also seemed to be one giant beta test for the proper m15x R2 that subsequently came out after. Hopefully Dell is on their game, gets me a new system rushed out and I can put this all to rest. Bah....

Well when I finally got my 580M SLI properly installed with the proper parts from Dell, I realized that SLI was not working despite being perfectly intact. I checked device manager and saw that it was throwing a Code 43 error. Internet searching showed little in terms of leads outside of disable/enable, or update drivers so after another hour with Dell, they decided to send the system back to them.

I just got my system back today. First boot showed SLI working! Tried to fire up a game and got a system crash BSOD. Upon reboot I saw that both GPU's were throwing the Error 43 code now. Awaiting to see what Dell does now.

I am really going to advocate for a "lemon system" as I have had numerous issues with this m18x. They stated to me prior to sending in the system that "this will be the last repair attempt" but I never hold my breath with Dell anymore.

My m17x R2 was ROCK SOLID and I am feeling like this is even worse than the m15x I got in 2008 that also seemed to be one giant beta test for the proper m15x R2 that subsequently came out after. Hopefully Dell is on their game, gets me a new system rushed out and I can put this all to rest. Bah....

hey i know once you get a working system you will see they really are fantastic.

... I loved my R2 also. Have faith they dont do the best at delivering a solid product sometimes i have my own issues with my ssystem too. I am waiting on exchange for mine as it came with some probs back from repair depot... There was scratches on the screen, wire inside not even plugged in, i pull out battery some random screw pops out of the battery tabs that hold it in from somewhere inside the motherboard cavity. Tommorow i am getting call on news about it they are trying to give me a used,new same or better unit but have not disclosed anything ill know more tommorow i dont want a used unit they may not be giving me a choice. Good luck i hope you get it replaced fully.

Thanks all. I don't know, i am so beyond frustrated I don't know how @Brian kept his composure through constant delays and problems. This is the world of high priced, high end technology and with that each day/week/month you spend is return on investment since something new is "just around the corner." Well I haven't been gaming for months really because of the backlog of 580's, problems with the 6900s, other issues, CS issues. WTF. Now they are "escalating my problem" (I have been escalated for a hundred times already) after another 2 hour phone call with a rep who thought it would be a neat idea to "reinstall drivers." I am beyond furious...and I am really stoked to see that the R2 is already being rumored to return! yes!

I wish I was optimistic but I am not. This has just left the worst taste in my mouth. Do I have any options about getting money back so long after I bought the system (july)? Are there "Lemon Laws" for these things? BBB? What do I do. Dell isn't doing shit.

• Founder

BBB is always a good option. Usually within days (sometimes hours) of your complaint there a rep that knows what he's talking about and can actually help you contacts you.

So, do consider it.

And yes, you can get your money back. As far as i remember Dell has 3 times to try and fix your issues, if they don't succeed you have full right to demand a same-or-better replacement or your money back.

• Founder

Sorry to hear dave and I agree with Mike, BBB will yield a quick answer from their resolutions team that will give you that refund you want. I had to go that route with an XPS 15z and at the time Dell was being anything but cooperative. Once I filed a BBB complaint, I got the refund I wanted promptly.

Don't give up, daveh98. Remember that at the other end of the line there is just a corporate drone sitting there. No point arguing. Be patient, if the person you're talking to starts to be annoying and/or inept, simply and patiently ask for another person or perhaps a manager. I've had my share of technical "support" from Dell and apart of the fact most of those people were annoyingly slow thinkers it all ended well. The point is to be patient. In the end Dell offers the best warranty conditions out there.

Should i be happy they have some "exchange team" working on getting a system like mine together... Seems like for almost 2 weeks ive heard same bull. I am pissed it came damaged from depot repair and had a nbd repair previously already before that. I understand my situation is different then the above but should i be taking another approach seems i get same answers over and over. Been trying to push for the system to be made current since my cost for upgrades was same as they are now for top gpu offering and cpu is exact same price. Seems I dont get taken seriously there. I dont know what to do but not happy of the damage from repair depot. It was negligence and i suffer for it not them thus far...

Take the case to BBB marc, it'll get solved in 1 day.

as of a few minutes ago my complaint to BBB has been filed. I filled the entire 4000 word complaint form lol. Thanks for the advice. I was getting no where. i submitted it for a refund i no longer want even a exchange. I'll see how this all goes. If M18x R2 is released before end of year i might hold my duckets till then.

They called me and told me a bunch of no on everything. They are continuing on exchange but still has no idea when it would be done and additionally seem to not care they damaged the system. No refund is what i was quoted. they are taking no responsibility beyond sending me a refurbished unit. BBB got me nowhere. I feel like making a video and showing how they handle things... But where would that get me no one will listen anyway.

• Founder
They called me and told me a bunch of no on everything. They are continuing on exchange but still has no idea when it would be done and additionally seem to not care they damaged the system. No refund is what i was quoted. they are taking no responsibility beyond sending me a refurbished unit. BBB got me nowhere. I feel like making a video and showing how they handle things... But where would that get me no one will listen anyway.

I'm surprised they didn't at least send you a new factory built system. Have you tried contacting @DellCares on twitter yet? If not I'd do it. At the very least, demand that they send you all the replacement parts that were damaged and have them replaced. Lemon law applies after 3 times and Dell's warranty also states that after 3 times, they may elect to give a refund or new system. Remind them of that.

I'm surprised they didn't at least send you a new factory built system. Have you tried contacting @DellCares on twitter yet? If not I'd do it. At the very least, demand that they send you all the replacement parts that were damaged and have them replaced. Lemon law applies after 3 times and Dell's warranty also states that after 3 times, they may elect to give a refund or new system. Remind them of that.

i spoke to dellcares before the whole BBB. They said talk to Chris@dell which i did and he said hes tech support not customer support. I said that to twitter and said i can dm my service tag if i still had issues. Should i do that now? As for the coversation over refund and etc i have that exchange scheduled and i stated refund over and they said no way ever. They said system already was donte in that way and they wouldnt do the new system again. I never actually heard from BBB it was a dell person who called me. I can say the parts thing but they agrred to exchange and didnt say till later its all refurbished. I dont know what to do i think saying lemon law they will say this is only 2nd parts or some none sense. I really dont know what to do they argue and say no none of this will happen and tuesday this person will call back... She claims trying to expedite process. Thats all i was ever told last time this was the m17x r2. I wish i had a rep that cared about the way thier company treats everyone.

i wrote twitter again of the issues ill see what they say they take a day or two to respond sometimes. i have tuesday the scheduled call back from dell rep about the exchange status. They are not as helpful as been made out they dont want to help customers with issues. I see where the large amount of complaints are coming from. I saw must of been 30 brand new BBB complaints in January alone so far, about 1500+ cases are unresolved by BBB and has status of customer issue not resolved and that customer was unsatisfied by the companies response. Now i see where your coming from Dave you been waiting ages for your 580m's just to find out they dont work and have more months of bull in way. If only i knew a rep who would listen inside Dell.

i wrote twitter again of the issues ill see what they say they take a day or two to respond sometimes. i have tuesday the scheduled call back from dell rep about the exchange status. They are not as helpful as been made out they dont want to help customers with issues. I see where the large amount of complaints are coming from. I saw must of been 30 brand new BBB complaints in January alone so far, about 1500+ cases are unresolved by BBB and has status of customer issue not resolved and that customer was unsatisfied by the companies response. Now i see where your coming from Dave you been waiting ages for your 580m's just to find out they dont work and have more months of bull in way. If only i knew a rep who would listen inside Dell.

Bill pointed me to the "high up" and I am getting......a refurb...but they don't even have one in stock....Fortunately the 18x with the 580s still has enough juice to last me until the new consoles. Consequently, as a result of this nightmare ownership experience, i will not be indulging in my high end gaming by upgrading to the most probably appropriate R2. I will ride this out for a few years. I have bought, as I am sure most of you, many dell/AW systems over the past 7 years. Usually pleased except for the m15x (beta testing it for them basically) and the m18x R1. I used to LOVE AW customer service and attention to detail. I don't even trust the refurb shit they will send me and will make sure to take a lot of pictures upon arrival. Dollars to doughnuts the vents will be completely covered in dust. Just like the title says...ARGH.

"You mad bro?" Ya..I'm mad.

Bill pointed me to the "high up" and I am getting......a refurb...but they don't even have one in stock....Fortunately the 18x with the 580s still has enough juice to last me until the new consoles. Consequently, as a result of this nightmare ownership experience, i will not be indulging in my high end gaming by upgrading to the most probably appropriate R2. I will ride this out for a few years. I have bought, as I am sure most of you, many dell/AW systems over the past 7 years. Usually pleased except for the m15x (beta testing it for them basically) and the m18x R1. I used to LOVE AW customer service and attention to detail. I don't even trust the refurb shit they will send me and will make sure to take a lot of pictures upon arrival. Dollars to doughnuts the vents will be completely covered in dust. Just like the title says...ARGH.

"You mad bro?" Ya..I'm mad.

same here fed up! If i had 580m's it would last me too

same here fed up! If i had 580m's it would last me too

Just having a hard time believing that the Lemon Laws and Dell's own policy of "3 strikes your out" would be predicated upon giving another refurbished system. Just doesn't seem right...maybe even legal? A new system should be just that; New. After having received refurb products in the past (which were for the most part fine for the cheap prices I paid) they definitely are not "New" nor do I think they go through extensive testing. At this point, I just hope I get it soon and I hope that it works well. Sad expectations. Maybe I will get lucky and get an 2960:)

Just having a hard time believing that the Lemon Laws and Dell's own policy of "3 strikes your out" would be predicated upon giving another refurbished system. Just doesn't seem right...maybe even legal? A new system should be just that; New. After having received refurb products in the past (which were for the most part fine for the cheap prices I paid) they definitely are not "New" nor do I think they go through extensive testing. At this point, I just hope I get it soon and I hope that it works well. Sad expectations. Maybe I will get lucky and get an 2960:)

i have a feeling whatever they do send me will be not without its own problems too. Is this just a big vicious cycle? Dell is calling Tuesday about this non existing exchnage system thats supposed to appear out of thin air as they have nothing remotely in stock... Rightfully dont they need to provide me what they can if they cant provide the same system even if it would be better?

i have a feeling whatever they do send me will be not without its own problems too. Is this just a big vicious cycle? Dell is calling Tuesday about this non existing exchnage system thats supposed to appear out of thin air as they have nothing remotely in stock... Rightfully dont they need to provide me what they can if they cant provide the same system even if it would be better?

Well I did ask the person at AW outright why I wasn't getting a new system when other people I know have. His response was that "it is not an offer we have now." However, with now knowing that there are 1500 unresolved BBB cases from unsatisfied customers, I am just going to sit on this patiently and get my system. Hopefully we both walk away with something decent and in a reasonable time frame. Honestly, Dell was pumping out awesome systems prior to the AW acquisition and I was always satisfied with the XPS line. They even would beat AW with time-limited exclusives like the MR9800 (8 pixel pipelines in a DTR in 2004 was pimp) and the 7900GTX. The systems were solid, delivery was fast and CS rocked. AW also was outstanding and had representation on notebookforums; not NBR. Outside of the "stage game" everything else was great.

Well I did ask the person at AW outright why I wasn't getting a new system when other people I know have. His response was that "it is not an offer we have now." However, with now knowing that there are 1500 unresolved BBB cases from unsatisfied customers, I am just going to sit on this patiently and get my system. Hopefully we both walk away with something decent and in a reasonable time frame. Honestly, Dell was pumping out awesome systems prior to the AW acquisition and I was always satisfied with the XPS line. They even would beat AW with time-limited exclusives like the MR9800 (8 pixel pipelines in a DTR in 2004 was pimp) and the 7900GTX. The systems were solid, delivery was fast and CS rocked. AW also was outstanding and had representation on notebookforums; not NBR. Outside of the "stage game" everything else was great.

they damaged my system and i am getting a refurb 6970m system which is not even the currently sold system options... they cant even find a system like that and are making me wait anyway... they could offer me gpu upgrade and have a system made in no time you know for all the troubles... but no. i dont think i will walk away with decent but less than what i had already as in worn out parts from refurb depot.

• Founder

Marc: your best course of action is to just ask for parts replacement so you can get your system up and running. Forget about getting an upgrade out of Dell, doesn't seem like it will happen. They may be clamping down on handing out goodies now due to so many people abusing their policy. Just sell those 6970s and buy a 580M outright.

Marc: your best course of action is to just ask for parts replacement so you can get your system up and running. Forget about getting an upgrade out of Dell, doesn't seem like it will happen. They may be clamping down on handing out goodies now due to so many people abusing their policy. Just sell those 6970s and buy a 580M outright.

no compensation aside i cant keep there could be unkown eloctrostatic damage all through it as there was a screw lose through entire shipping and beyond till i had it fall out of battery compartement out of the hole to the inner chassis and motherboard etc... keeping this one is not much an option. too many unkowns. i cant afford anything... since when does repair depot not responsible for negligience, when did they stop really backing their warranty and if i get different gpus not from dell 4 year coverage unuseable and it is really important because some electronics just die and they wont cover without warranty...

I owe Alienware and Dell an apology. I had started losing faith. Alienware finally contacted me with good news. My last rep i worked with through this called today. This rep got my approval on the replacement system. He was very happy with the news he brought and so was I. The system is an upgrade to the damaged system I have. They are taking care of me completely and to me for the problem i had with the repair depot i feel it fully resolved. It pays to have a warranty and it pays to stay calm when speaking to representatives like Michael said :)

Here is the config they are sending.

1 995JJ 330W A/C Adapter

2 F928P Powercord,125Volt,15Amp,10 Foot

3 JY579 AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue

4 J0CKX Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Operating System DVD

5 HKNKK Alienware M18x Space Black Anodized Aluminum

6 F0Y8M Processor: Intel Quad Core Extreme i7 2960XM (2.7GHz(3.7GHz <o:p></o:p>

w/Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)

7 W795M 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)

8 CY6K3 256 GB Solid State Drive Ultra Performance

9 RCWG4 256GB Solid State Drive 2nd Drive

10 02TT0 6X Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)

11 DHRGK Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M SLI Enabled

12 V0H0X Intel Advanced-N 6200 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology

13 65V5M Internal 60GHz WirelessHD Transmitter

14 C112J Documentation

15 KWTMR Accessory Kit

16 8CT07 Shipping Material

17 2FDNJ Information

18 0HP5J Service Software

19 8GGM9 Information

20 TWFDC Information

21 T72YP Information

22 T2N47 Label

23 W753G Information

24 WKG48 Software

25 GV0CP Wave Systems Software

26 DRX00 Software

27 4WYVT Software

28 99RFP Dell Support Center 64 Bit 2.0

29 M239M Software

30 XM544 Image Restore Software

31 G6WCP 18.4 inch Wide FHD (1920 x 1080) WLED Display

32 8VWCN Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate

33 NWP28 Nebula Red Anodized Aluminum

34 1M57Y Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module

35 3FMVJ 12 Cell Battery

Differences were all upgrades except the wifi. it was an intel 6300 which wont be missed. The hds were two 750gb 7.2k drives which for SSD again wont be missed. The video cards were dual 6970m and again wont be missed. Finally the cpu is an upgrade from the 2920xm to the 2960xm. I am ecstatic at how they are taking care of my case. Everyones advice on hamging in their, Thank You. Thanks Alienware for following through. Thank you Brian, Michael, Dave, Iloveboobs, 0x29a, Stamatisx, Tech Inferno.

• Thumbs Up 1