Y510P second Bios?

Jasiek95

Couldn't find what I was looking for on the forum so I'm starting my own thread here.

I tried downgrading my bios from 3.08 to 2.07 so I could install svl's modded bios and due to a series of unfortunate events my laptop is bricked. It wont post, it turns off and on a few times before starting, after which the fan cycles between on and off while the HDD remains on but no video is being outputted to the monitor via HDMI or VGA (my laptop screen broke). When I initially backflashed my BIOS it wouldnt POST but I was able to get into the BIOS to confirm that it indeed was running 2.07. Tried re-flashing my BIOS backed up onto the usb but the laptop shut down instantly (despite having no devices attached, a full battery and no other devices connected to the wall outlet). Tried flashing a crisis BIOS with this http://blog.jimsjump.com/2016/02/07/lenovo-y510p-v305-bios-bricked-crisis-recovery-solved/ and that also failed (heard series of beeps for about 5 minutes before the laptop just turned off). 

In a bid to get my laptop working I tried shorting the CMOS battery, which did nothing and reflashing the BIOS but I can't seem to get the laptop to stay on, it just keeps turning restarting. I thought that maybe I need to purchase a new bios chip like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-BIOS-CHIPS-for-LENOVO-B430-Y400-Y410P-Y430P-Y510P-Z710-G710-Z510-Z410-/131142954077?hash=item1e88baac5d:g:WaQAAOxyFXhSNrEM 

Which got me thinking, is the second BIOS for the Lenovo like the dual bios for gigabyte that can be used to salvage a system if flashing of the first chip doesn't go according to plan? If so, how can I access it? Otherwise it looks like I'll have to purchase two brand new chips... And risk bricking it again just to get my eGPU working :/

Replacing the bios chip sounds like the best idea. The auction you listed says they will even flash the chip before sending it. Perhaps they would flash v2.07 for you sp ypu could do the v3.x whitelist patch. 

The only mahpr issue here is that you need to disassemble the laptop, find the chip, desolder it and solder the new on in place. Eveything should work fine again anfter that sir! :)

Edited by crux161
  • Thumbs Up 1