aaronloveweed

MSI GTX 1060 MXM successfully working on Alienware M18X R2 (another socket victory against BGA crap)

Can anyone educate me if its possible as until now to equip alienware m18x r2 with 1070 mxm?

I didnt get a straight answer anywhere.

23 minutes ago, mossesmos said:

Can anyone educate me if its possible as until now to equip alienware m18x r2 with 1070 mxm?

I didnt get a straight answer anywhere.

Yes, need the same procedures posted in first page, unlocked bios set on SG and a bit mod of your heatsink (for the MSI version, the gpu with the wings ^_^,  you also need to cut out some pieces from mxm's slot) all depends from the choosen gtx 1070 (EUROCOM/aetina/gecube one or the MSI one)

Thank you for the prompt reply

Are you sure that its going to work or if you have seen anyone tried it before, as 1070 mxm is quite expensive  and if it turns out to be a failed experiment i fear i don't want my money going down the drain.

so would really appreciate your expertise regarding this matter.

37 minutes ago, mossesmos said:

Thank you for the prompt reply

Are you sure that its going to work or if you have seen anyone tried it before, as 1070 mxm is quite expensive  and if it turns out to be a failed experiment i fear i don't want my money going down the drain.

so would really appreciate your expertise regarding this matter.

Please explain? What are your doubts?

anyway i'll suggest to Contact user Woodzstack if still around or EUROCOM that will assure you and your gpu.

On 11/4/2017 at 3:51 PM, aaronloveweed said:

Please explain? What are your doubts?

anyway i'll suggest to Contact user Woodzstack if still around or EUROCOM that will assure you and your gpu.

the only doubt right now is if m18x r2 is compatible with gtx 1070 mxm card, as i read some where that it needs a edp panel and m18x r2 is equipped with lvd.

5 minutes ago, mossesmos said:

the only doubt right now is if m18x r2 is compatible with gtx 1070 mxm card, as i read some where that it needs a edp panel and m18x r2 is equipped with lvd.

Again, you don't read at all?

With an unlocked bios, set to SG (switchableGraphics) mode,
the iGPU (hd4000) and the dGPU (all pascal series, but same with all other gpus) are routed and converted together to same output signal line and stay active all time. No need of EDP panel because Optimus/Enduro works in this way.

So then you only need to re-arrange thermal pads layout to match choosen gpu (look at EUROCOM offer) or mod the heatsink.

Best Regards, and good read ^.^

On 11/7/2017 at 10:58 AM, aaronloveweed said:

Again, you don't read at all?

With an unlocked bios, set to SG (switchableGraphics) mode,
the iGPU (hd4000) and the dGPU (all pascal series, but same with all other gpus) are routed and converted together to same output signal line and stay active all time. No need of EDP panel because Optimus/Enduro works in this way.

So then you only need to re-arrange thermal pads layout to match choosen gpu (look at EUROCOM offer) or mod the heatsink.

Best Regards, and good read ^.^

Ok i have contacted the guys at EUROCOM the support guy is persistent that going gtx 1070 is no go and gtx 1060 is way to go, in short not helping me out . i have found two variants of GTX 1070 can you help me select the one that is compatible msi is 150w and clevo is 115 watts. i just  don't know which one to order although my instincts say to go with 115 one its more power efficient then msi .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GTX-1070-N17E-G2-8GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Module-150W-Upgrade-Kit-MSI-AW/112144267554?hash=item1a1c51b922:g:UUsAAOSw7GRZMDjO

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clevo-P570WM-GTX-1070-Upgrade-Kit-8GB-DDR5-MXM3-82x105mm-w-o-VGA-Heatsink/112598727281?hash=item1a37683a71:g:XyMAAOSw9gRZ5gw-

Hello guys, can someone help me..

I wanna install 1070 mxm on Alienware A18, so is there any difference between m18x r2 and a18?

and if nothing critical, i guess i need to find unlocked bios for A18 and do same steps right?

thanks for your help! 

I just love my 18inch alien, but that vr specifications trows me in that experiments.. have no choice =3

Hello there. Yes AW18 is a very different animal compared to the M18xR2. Up to just recently, an unlocked Bios was only available in the latter. Looks like someone finally unlocked the AW18, found in NBR just today. Sounds interesting:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/release-alienware-18-bios-a12-unlocked.802249/

I would tread carefully before you unzip any files or execute any commands. Read about the warnings. May only benefit the MX cpus. Worth looking into BUT I would make sure to back up your bios first.

Edited by G.R.A.M.P.S.
Error if omission in the original post

So that the Pascal is compatible with aw18

And gtx 1060 is à succes

Then we can install 1070 and the 1080

Inside ?

Any confirmation please ?

Hey, my dear friend, can you unlock the bios with M18X R2 and send it to my mailbox? Very grateful, friends from China. Jonto@qq.com

My English is very bad. I rely on Google Translate to communicate and I am very grateful for your help.

jonto@qq.com my Email.