MSI GTX 1060 MXM successfully working on Alienware M18X R2 (another socket victory against BGA crap)

23 minutes ago, mossesmos said:

Can anyone educate me if its possible as until now to equip alienware m18x r2 with 1070 mxm?

I didnt get a straight answer anywhere.

Yes, need the same procedures posted in first page, unlocked bios set on SG and a bit mod of your heatsink (for the MSI version, the gpu with the wings ^_^,  you also need to cut out some pieces from mxm's slot) all depends from the choosen gtx 1070 (EUROCOM/aetina/gecube one or the MSI one)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for the prompt reply

Are you sure that its going to work or if you have seen anyone tried it before, as 1070 mxm is quite expensive  and if it turns out to be a failed experiment i fear i don't want my money going down the drain.

so would really appreciate your expertise regarding this matter.

37 minutes ago, mossesmos said:

Thank you for the prompt reply

Are you sure that its going to work or if you have seen anyone tried it before, as 1070 mxm is quite expensive  and if it turns out to be a failed experiment i fear i don't want my money going down the drain.

so would really appreciate your expertise regarding this matter.

Please explain? What are your doubts?

anyway i'll suggest to Contact user Woodzstack if still around or EUROCOM that will assure you and your gpu.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/4/2017 at 3:51 PM, aaronloveweed said:

Please explain? What are your doubts?

anyway i'll suggest to Contact user Woodzstack if still around or EUROCOM that will assure you and your gpu.

the only doubt right now is if m18x r2 is compatible with gtx 1070 mxm card, as i read some where that it needs a edp panel and m18x r2 is equipped with lvd.

5 minutes ago, mossesmos said:

the only doubt right now is if m18x r2 is compatible with gtx 1070 mxm card, as i read some where that it needs a edp panel and m18x r2 is equipped with lvd.

Again, you don't read at all?

With an unlocked bios, set to SG (switchableGraphics) mode,
the iGPU (hd4000) and the dGPU (all pascal series, but same with all other gpus) are routed and converted together to same output signal line and stay active all time. No need of EDP panel because Optimus/Enduro works in this way.

So then you only need to re-arrange thermal pads layout to match choosen gpu (look at EUROCOM offer) or mod the heatsink.

Best Regards, and good read ^.^

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2017 at 10:58 AM, aaronloveweed said:

Again, you don't read at all?

With an unlocked bios, set to SG (switchableGraphics) mode,
the iGPU (hd4000) and the dGPU (all pascal series, but same with all other gpus) are routed and converted together to same output signal line and stay active all time. No need of EDP panel because Optimus/Enduro works in this way.

So then you only need to re-arrange thermal pads layout to match choosen gpu (look at EUROCOM offer) or mod the heatsink.

Best Regards, and good read ^.^

Ok i have contacted the guys at EUROCOM the support guy is persistent that going gtx 1070 is no go and gtx 1060 is way to go, in short not helping me out . i have found two variants of GTX 1070 can you help me select the one that is compatible msi is 150w and clevo is 115 watts. i just  don't know which one to order although my instincts say to go with 115 one its more power efficient then msi .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GTX-1070-N17E-G2-8GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Module-150W-Upgrade-Kit-MSI-AW/112144267554?hash=item1a1c51b922:g:UUsAAOSw7GRZMDjO

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clevo-P570WM-GTX-1070-Upgrade-Kit-8GB-DDR5-MXM3-82x105mm-w-o-VGA-Heatsink/112598727281?hash=item1a37683a71:g:XyMAAOSw9gRZ5gw-

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, can someone help me..

I wanna install 1070 mxm on Alienware A18, so is there any difference between m18x r2 and a18?

and if nothing critical, i guess i need to find unlocked bios for A18 and do same steps right?

thanks for your help! 

I just love my 18inch alien, but that vr specifications trows me in that experiments.. have no choice =3

Hello there. Yes AW18 is a very different animal compared to the M18xR2. Up to just recently, an unlocked Bios was only available in the latter. Looks like someone finally unlocked the AW18, found in NBR just today. Sounds interesting:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/release-alienware-18-bios-a12-unlocked.802249/

I would tread carefully before you unzip any files or execute any commands. Read about the warnings. May only benefit the MX cpus. Worth looking into BUT I would make sure to back up your bios first.

Edited by G.R.A.M.P.S.
Error if omission in the original post

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Holy Crêpes, This is good news, I only have an R1 but I wonder when the 2060 will be available and able to be modded into these hacked Bios... then we get raytracing and this old machine is as good as new in most game's eyes!!!

Unlocked here I come!! (Post 5 [Hopefully decent posts ;3])