Lenovo w510

12 g ddr3 ram

intel i7 Q720 @1.6ghz

discreet card: Nvidia Quadro Fx 880M 

egpu setup: GTx 960 card hooked up via exp-gdc v8 dock via pci express card

Using dell 220w psu (12v, 18Amp)

Using an external monitor hooked to 960 via hdmi

The Problem:

Drivers successfully installed, device manager shows GTX 960 and shows it functioning properly. However, no external monitor can be detected.  Aditionally, when installing the 960 drivers, it broke the 880M (shows up as error code 43 in device manager iirc).  So currently I'm stuck with crappy display on the internal monitor (internal graphics? even though I don't have intel integrated graphics..) and no external monitor detected.

I read in the FAQ section that trying to get a dgpu and egpu from nvidia to work is about getting them to run on the same drivers, but it was not clear at all about how to go about doing that.  Plus the cards are so far apart in age I'm not sure how to even begin to go about trying to find a drive that will run both.

What I have done so far:

Disabled pci power managment, this allowed the egpu to be sucessfully detected.  Showed up in device manager as "generic vga device" or something like that.  Downloaded and installed appropriate nvidia drivers for 960, restarted computer. Computer running on crappy internal(?) graphics card (cant even display full screen resolution) , error for dgpu in device manager (error only goes away after uninstalling 960 drivers and reinstalling dgpu drivers), 960 shown as working fine.  Disabled dgpu in device manager (I don't have the option to in the bios for some strange reason, screen shot attached), restarted.  Upon restart device manager shows 960 working fine, however, no external monitor detected and computer internal dsiplay still running on crappy internal(?) graphics card (cant even display full screen resolution).

Any help would be much appreciated.  I feel like I should be pretty close since the egpu was detected and is shown as running ok in the device manager...

bios.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.