Sign in to follow this  
Masterchief88

Alienware M18X R1 EXP GDC Problems

Hi @ all, i whant to use an EXP graphic adapter with an GTX 1050Ti with ExpressCard on my M18X R1.

I startet with the Adapter and i can install the NVIDIA driver. The GTX was normal detectet. But i have 2 exclamation mark one by the Card and the second by the PCIe adapter (after installing the driver).

I have a GTX 780m with modded driver so i cant switch to onboard graphic (with my older 6990m i can do this).

Error Code 29 (GTX) and Error Code 43 (PCIe).

I want to use the GTX with the Alienware Monitor but i also testet it on an extern Monitor.

So have anybody an idea what i can do?

I'm using the Beast Version 8.4d!

Edited by Masterchief88

Hey there, I see that you are using 1050Ti as your base card...

Please note that that the latest drivers provided by nvidia will install your card(same as mine) but will put an error 43 on it as described here.

The only way I got mine to work was to mod the nvidia driver 372.70 to support my 1050Ti. You can try to google it and use this as a reference.

Also I would suggest disabling your dGPU after installing the nvidia drivers. If you cant acces the iGPU then refer this.

To fix the error code 29, try to refer this

Hope this helped :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Edrc
      Hello,

I am new on this forum, so I am sorry if posting at the wrong place. It's been 2 weeks that I am searching how to make my GTX 980M 8GB working Inside my Alienware 17 R1 (June 2014, i7 4710MQ, 60 Herts Display, OPTIMUS and the GTX 880M Inside died.)
      After "quickly" looking some forums, I saw that a 980M would easily fit Inside … but maybe I was wrong.

Hardware wasn't a problem. I've also could install drivers by modding the nvdmi or nvcvi. inf files. The card was recognied BUT :
      the clock speed is locked a 135 or 405 Mherts and fan is not runing when booted up.
      I tried to flash vBios with nvflash and some ROM I found on vBios collection … but no way to get this working properly.

So, i'm coming here. I've seen many people talking about Prema or svl7 or other big boss in the place … but ? how ? where ? when ?

Inside the peripherial manager I have this in remote acces path : PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1617&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_A1\4&D590A51&0&0008
      So I assume my GTX 980M card ID is 1617 and vendor and PC Model are 05AA 1028.
      But near the "Standard Microsoft Video Card" there is a yellow exclamation point and Inside details it says "this peripherial doesn't work properly" when no Nvidia drivers installed.
      I could find some vBios with 1617 (Asus) but black screen at boot up. Since laptop model where not the same .. probably.
      And I wasn't able to find 1617 with the existing 05AA 1028 … as the GTX 980M was not an option for my model. (AW 17 R1 2014 ,60Herts)
      I tried 353.60, 382.33 and 419.35 drivers. The latest one seems easier to install but longer.

BIOS is A16 from Dell. And I am using Windows 10. Got a Dell 330W brick. 

I saw a guy with the exact model as me, he gets a modded vBios especially for his configuration, then everything worked easily … but can't find the topic again

I guess depending on the card info and the laptop model … a dedicated vBios is required … 

So, If anyone here got some informations or any kind of help for me, it would be very nice.

Thanks for reading and help.  

PS: there are a lot of files, pictures and links that I can't see on this forum .. even after registration …. 

• By GrisGris
      For when that rubber coating on your laptop phase shifts to fly paper...

Here is what I did,

Disassemble M18x:
      Well documented by debaucher:
      The palm rest section was the biggest offender for me;

>I used a plastic spoon and nail polish remover to remove the rubber coating:
      >Obviously remove as many of the various utility boards as possible.
      >I left the touch pad in place because this model used thermally fused plastic rivet like pieces to hold the light pipes in place and I found it easier to mask it off.
      >"FrogTape Delicate Surface" worked very well for masking off various surfaces

>I used Krylon Plastic Paint as a base coat and 'Jet Black metal flake Automotive Paint;

>With the paint still setting up I dusted various glow powders over the substrate and dusted some additional black paint to achieve some depth to the effect .
      >I after the automotive paint set up I use mate clear coat the overcoat the entire surface. I personally believe glossy clear coat would not look as good. 
      >Adjust as needed and re-assemble.

>I Used a USB LED clamp light available ebay/amazon $10 to illuminate

Hope you enjoyed the first post...
    • By SnipeKing17
      The GPU works, The PSU works, The system works. [individually they all do work]

The system works perfectly fine without the WLAN card.

When i put the system to sleep and hotswap the mPCIe riser and WLAN press something on the keyboard.. Restarts.
      Will shutdown in roughly 27 seconds for those 27 seconds it works just fine like how it normally would on external monitor.

When i shut it down and plug the riser and switch it on, same story. 27 seconds.

I don't even see a error. I get to login screen directly. I used DDU already.

I timed it. no matter what i do if i use the eGPU, External monitor it restarts instead of pause-play. I have 27 seconds.

Need help!
    • By Sleezy
      Troubleshooting Modified driver Installation. If you are able to successfully modify the .inf to install GPU driver but games still using dedicated graphics or crashing, this is how I got it to work. Also link to the instructions I used to modify the .inf (Credit to Yuki Rea Founder and Creator of null-src.com) That tutorial can be found here https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

Soapbox - Gaming Laptop GPU Upgrade
    • By handale30
      I added this post in the another forum a few months ago but felt like it could also help someone here, enjoy... So ive owned quite a few Alienware laptops but out of all of them my favorite has always been the great m17x R4. I love its aggressive looks, its lines and grills remind me of lamborgini design, the 1 glass sheet screen, the media keys looked futuristic and its laser etched name plate added a touch of personalization and attention to detail that they used to have. So considering it still has powerful specs for modern standards, i7 processors, 32gb ram, 2ssd and 1msata slots, 120hz 3D display, mxm slot, sd card reader, I couldn't help but to sell my 2 current laptops (15 R1 980m, 4k, 15 R3 1060) and purchase a pristine example of this machine with all its original packaging to upgrade it up to todays specs.   The Original Specs of this particular system were:  * Intel i7 3820qm 2.7ghz / 3.7ghz  * Nvidia GTX680m 2gb  * 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz CL11  * 250gb Samsung 840pro SSD  * 1tb Seagate Momentum HDD  * 17" 1080p 120hz 3D display Desired Upgrades:  * Intel i7 3940mx 3.0ghz / 3.9ghz  * Nvidia GTX 1070 8gb  * 32gb DDR3 Ram 1600 CL10 Corsair  * 1tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD  * Liquid Metal and better thermal pads    2019 Specs: * Intel i7 3940mx 3.0ghz / 3.9ghz  * Zotac GTX 1070mxm 8gb  * 32gb DDR3 Ram 1866 CL9 Corsair Vengeance  * 1tb Samsung 860 Evo SSD  * 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD  * Liquid Metal and Fujipoly 17w/mk thermal pads  * 17.3" 1080p 120hz 3D display   I already purchased the GTX 1070 mxm, 32gb RAM and the 1tb SSD. The GTX1070 is installed and working at its full power. I applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal thermal compound to both CPU and GPU and Fujipoly ultra extreme 17.0 W/mK thermal pads with my modified GPU heatsink and new X-bracket. CPU is overclocked from OEM BIOS to stage1    4.1ghz  3.9ghz 4cores. No chasis or board was cut or damaged during this process as I wanted to keep its integrity and no throttle issues what so ever. As I already had the 120hz edp screen, it was an easier job to do and thanks to @Striker123 and to @D4ddy for their threads as they made me have the guts to go through the project and to Rick for selling me this perfect example of a computer.   Alienware m17x r4 1070 mxm http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-gtx-1070-mxm-successfully-working-on-alienware-m17x-r4-another-socket-victory-against-bga-crap.803637/ Alienware m17 Ranger 1070 mxm http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-gtx-1070-mxm-3-1b.800137/   Here are some before and after benchmarks so you can see this baby flying let me know what you think about these numbers... I will be uploading more pictures soon as it only lets me upload 5. If you guys have any questions id be glad to help out.   current issues:    - the GPU fan does not automatically work so I have to use HWinfo to manually build the fan table but HWinfo sucks balls at this and doesn't start them automatically either, also with HWinfo I take control of both CPU and GPU fans at the same time and sometimes I just want my CPU fan to be spinning. so if someone has a fix for this man that would be great!    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.