Clevo W150+GTX1060 via GDC (wifi slot) - how to win10?

Deffington

Hello guys!

Moving from old topic, as I managed to get the setup working. Currently the setup is running with 372.70 driver on windows 7. The dGPU is disabled via device manager. 

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/11381-clevo-w150er-gtx-1060-trough-wifi-mpcie-detectedbut-not-working/#comment-158262

Parts: 

Clevo W150ER (XMG A502) - i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GT 650M,

GTX 1060 - EVGA 3GB SC single fan (for those who could also get fooled like I did, it has 0db mod, the fan is not working until it get's hot or forced by software),

GDC adapter,

Corsair SF450 PSU,

Access to wifi slot is very easy on this model. I only had to make a small hole for the cable. Setup 1.x or any mods weren't needed to get into current state. A funny note: while eGPU builds are limited by speed of connection, they are easy on temperature. The laptop is cooler (since it doesn't have to dump the heat from dGPU) and the eGPU sits on open place with its fan(s) unobstructed. 

Score:

Cinebench R15 - 77.49 FPS

Subjectively said it's doing a good job in all games I could barely run before. For example Planetside 2 runs 90+ fps even in big battles on medium settings.

Issues to solve: 

1. Sometimes the driver crashes and gets recovered within several seconds. When this happens, both internal and external monitors turn black for a brief moment. It's not a major problem, just annoying.

2. Windows 7 is a bit of issue. I wish I could run on win10. The reason I'm back on win7 is that I couldn't block win10 automatic updates to not download newer version of NVidia drivers. The setup could then run just several minutes before the driver updated and eGPU fell back into error code 43. 

Can anyone help with these?

Do you guys think that RAM upgrade to 16 GB is worth the money?

Edited by Deffington

Hi So i tried the exp beast setup.
My specs/setup dell 3543 i5 5th gen dual core 8 gb ram nvidia 820m
I tried it on beast 8.4d using hdmi to mpcie which was given with the package.The setup did not even turn on even my psu was not working I did the connections properly.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

On 5/1/2017 at 1:39 PM, chesterhalo said:

Hi So i tried the exp beast setup.
My specs/setup dell 3543 i5 5th gen dual core 8 gb ram nvidia 820m
I tried it on beast 8.4d using hdmi to mpcie which was given with the package.The setup did not even turn on even my psu was not working I did the connections properly.

Hi. I would start investigating why is PSU not working. How can you tell if it's working? If you have everything wired right and laptop running, there is a green diod on GDC (at least on mine). You could also post the full spec, including eGPU and PSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi. I would start investigating why is PSU not working. How can you tell if it's working? If you have everything wired right and laptop running, there is a green diod on GDC (at least on mine). You could also post the full spec, including eGPU and PSU.

Hi thanks for that reply. I look forward to sharing more details with you, once i get a new beast. You might find this a bit strange but bare with me. When I actually did the connections the green led on the beast lit up for a second, but that's it did not show up later.

Why i said that psu was not working was because the fan did not start, even though I grounded psu and gave all connections properly I will post pics for your reference. In the pic If you zoom in you will be able to see a green wire(pin 15) and black wire for grounding(pin 13 or 14). When you do that the psu starts working. Please message me if the pic was not clear.882059c1df2838c1f3e5524136b46fa5.jpg

2 minutes ago, chesterhalo said:

Why i said that psu was not working was because the fan did not start, even though I grounded psu and gave all connections properly I will post pics for your reference. In the pic If you zoom in you will be able to see a green wire(pin 15) and black wire for grounding(pin 13 or 14). When you do that the psu starts working. Please message me if the pic was not clear.

Well, my PSU fan only works when it's under heavy load, which is never with just eGPU. I have only done this wiring once, which makes me no expert on troubleshooting. I would say that you should verify if your components work before any other action. Maybe you can use some other PC or PC maintenance shop to have your components checked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure.

Well, my PSU fan only works when it's under heavy load, which is never with just eGPU. I have only done this wiring once, which makes me no expert on troubleshooting. I would say that you should verify if your components work before any other action. Maybe you can use some other PC or PC maintenance shop to have your components checked.

I will post some pics of the egpu setup to you when I do it again in June. I hope that's fine for you.

1 minute ago, chesterhalo said:

I will post some pics of the egpu setup to you when I do it again in June. I hope that's fine for you.

It's not about me, it's about you. Why June though? I understand that you want to get a new GDC adapter, but I'm not sure if you actually need it. What makes you think that's the faulty component, if you also doubt your PSU? Unless there is something you didn't write here, I suggest to get PSU and GPU checked and try again.

Don't worry, it won't be easy. There is a ton of software errors and malfunctions you can meet later. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not about me, it's about you. Why June though? I understand that you want to get a new GDC adapter, but I'm not sure if you actually need it. What makes you think that's the faulty component, if you also doubt your PSU? Unless there is something you didn't write here, I suggest to get PSU and GPU checked and try again.

Don't worry, it won't be easy. There is a ton of software errors and malfunctions you can meet later. [emoji4]

Okay. About new gdc , I gave It back and got a refund i am getting an another beast from my cousin in US, but I get it, i will try your way and check the components and try again if they don't work the first time.

• 2 months later...

Don't worry, it won't be easy. There is a ton of software errors and malfunctions you can meet later. [emoji4]

Hey I got the new beast 3 weeks ago and was not able to implement coz had exams.
It worked flawlessly when I followed the steps perfectly....enjoying the expierene so far. One more thing I have saved enough money to buy a gaming pc

I thought about spending 500 dollars and getting a i5 7400 and a gtx 1050 ti or
Thinking about getting a gtx 1060 3gb version which would be better though, any thoughts.

On 7/21/2017 at 2:58 PM, chesterhalo said:

Hey I got the new beast 3 weeks ago and was not able to implement coz had exams.
It worked flawlessly when I followed the steps perfectly....enjoying the expierene so far. One more thing I have saved enough money to buy a gaming pc

I thought about spending 500 dollars and getting a i5 7400 and a gtx 1050 ti or
Thinking about getting a gtx 1060 3gb version which would be better though, any thoughts.

Flawless? Lucky you, I couldn't solve the driver crashing.