ASUS Transformer 3 Pro egpu setup recommendations

Tyrone

Hi,

First time on this website and I thought this could be where I can find some help.

I've bought an ASUS transformer Pro 3 with the following specs:

CPU: i5 6200U (2.3 GHz turbo up to 2.8 GHz)

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 512 GB

Price: $880 CAD (Got lucky on Amazon.. really lucky)

I have not heard any news about the ASUS ROG XG Station 2 being released anytime in Canada yet so I've started to look elsewhere.

The Akitio Node 3 seems ideal for me ($350+tax (free shipping)) since it  could fit full sized desktop graphics cards in there.

Question is, which one should I get? I was thinking GTX 980ti since I know I could get one for $450 but not sure which type or if there are better alternative.

I've heard I should look at the Zotac 10-series mini graphics cards but with these (and the potentially the 980ti), I don't want the system to bottle neck.

The i5 might not be powerful enough to draw the GPU's fullest potential.

I've already heard there were potential fan issues on the Transformer Pro 3 so if that's the case with my model (I hope not), I don't want it to end up overheating.

Please let me know which graphics card I should go for.

Thanks,

T

Edited by Tyrone

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.