m17xr3 won't boot into bios after blind flash

biboa

Hi,

i was preparing for a gpu replacement, so i decided to flash my alienware m17xr3 A12 bios into an unlocked version.

I removed the gpu, put "PAR00X64.fd" in the root of a FAT32 usb.

i unplugged the power cord, inseted the usb drive in the esata port, and held the end button before replugging the cord.

the fans kicked in, and i heard 30 beeps, then it restarted.

after that, it wouldn't stop resatarting. it kept rebooting even when i held the end key for more than 20 mins.

i'm really confused right now as of what to do to fix this issue.

i would really apreciate any help you have to offer me.

9 hours ago, Ferrouswogg said:

Are you sure you had correct file? I would try first to reset bios, unplug. take battery, out if you can unplug cmos battery do it hold power button for 30 seconds. hope that helps

thank you for your answer, yes i even tried with the official bios from dell's website when it didn't work.

i already tried to reset the bios, it didn't work, now it only gives me 8 beeps.

right now i'm hoping it's the bios chip is corrupted, and that i don't have to change the whole motherboard.

One would need to know your entire set up OS, cpu, gpu, ram, what bios you started out with? was it the A12? are you flashing with gpu card installed or removed? have you tried different usb sticks with that same bios file? are you starting it with gpu card installed? have you tried external ports hdmi, display port?

2 minutes ago, Ferrouswogg said:

One would need to know your entire set up OS, cpu, gpu, ram, what bios you started out with? was it the A12? are you flashing with gpu card installed or removed? have you tried different usb sticks with that same bios file? are you starting it with gpu card installed? have you tried external ports hdmi, display port?

i have an alienware m17xr3, windows 10 x64 , i7 2670qm, gtx 580m and an insyde A12 bios.

i removed the gpu before flashing, as the gpu is not working anymore, and i was preparing to buy a gtx 780m or 880m to replace it.

i used 2 different flash drives, one 16 go and one old 1 go , both formated to FAT32, and copied the file in the root.

i tried to blindflash, kept holding the end button, had the fans kick in and the 33 beeps, but it wouldn't stop restaring.

when i finally remove my finger from the end button, it restarts and starts beeping 8 times.

tried the flash multiple times, with the unlocked A12 and A08 bios, and with the original A12 bios, but the same thing keeps happening.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:36 PM, Ferrouswogg said:

if you had extra gpu also could you try a different usb port not just the esata/usb port also holding windows key and b key while plugging it in with no battery? try it both ways

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/bios-recovery-in-case-you-brick-your-m17x-r3.601701/

the insyde bios recovery method gives me 5 beeps when i try it, the second method is the one i tried, minus the gpu inserted step, even tough they tell you to remove the gpu at sone point in that post.

i really want to thank you for your answers, i posted here just to see if someone had the same issue resolved, and what steps they took to fix it.

like i said before, i just wanna see if there's a hope it's not the motherboard that went bad.

On 2017-04-18 at 4:02 AM, naightmehr said:

Have you tried flashing it to an older official alienware bios? Like the A11 or maybe even try the A13

i tried to flash it to the A08, but it doesn't seem to work, it always ends up restarting again and again.

5 hours ago, naightmehr said:

My last guess would be to use the recovery method to try the oldest A05 or A06 bios, otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to replace your motherboard

that's what i tought too, but i read somewhere that sometimes only the bios chip is corrupted, and that you only need to change it, you don't have to change the whole motherboard. have you ever heard of that working in a similar case ?

Edited by biboa

• biboa changed the title to m17xr3 won't boot into bios after blind flash

I don't think it's possible for this motherboard to replace the bios chip nor can you find those anywhere. Or people refer to the CMOS battery, have you tried that already? If not, open your case and remove the battery, then hold the power button on the front for about 30 seconds to drain all the power, sometimes this can fix a lot of problems. I attached a picture with the cmos battery

alienware-hardware.jpg

@naightmehr  thank you for your answer.

Yes i've tried to remove the cmos and to drain the power, i gives me either 5 beeps or 8 beeps.

I already bought a bios chip from an ebay seller, he seems to have mostly positive feedback.

I'm gonna give it to someone to change it for me as i donèt have the tools needed, and i'll keep you in touch with how how everything worked out in the end.

Again , thank you for your answers, ijust donèt know what went wrong during the blindflash.

well if you still have it might i suggest doing it again with the dell stock A05 bios, normal end insert power blind flash with esata/usb, wait about 9 beeps

unplug it to force a brick bios and then redo the blind flash, just wait out the 30 beeps and let it restart till it stops, that worked for me when i did it

but i have an r4 so while they are pretty similer im not to sure it this will work for you, got a deal on mine, mint condition with the dreaded 8 beeps 3d/120hz lcd

turns out twas just the gpu.got a 765m to drop in and all is well, just waiting to be able to dl the unlocked bios since im using older modded inf driver files :/

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 8:33 PM, biboa said:

@naightmehr  thank you for your answer.

Yes i've tried to remove the cmos and to drain the power, i gives me either 5 beeps or 8 beeps.

I already bought a bios chip from an ebay seller, he seems to have mostly positive feedback.

I'm gonna give it to someone to change it for me as i donèt have the tools needed, and i'll keep you in touch with how how everything worked out in the end.

Again , thank you for your answers, ijust donèt know what went wrong during the blindflash.

so did u replace the new bios chip ?