MSI GT-70 won't turn on. Brick or no brick?

№1 Toxic Shitter

So, I've had this GT-70 for almost five years and it has served me very well. For the last few months, however, I've been noticing uncharacteristically slow disk performance and other issues. Today, after flashing a modified BIOS it worked just fine. I haven't touched any of the added BIOS settings yet. Then, after a few restarts, it died on a seemingly innocuous reboot. I got a black screen for five seconds with the power button reporting that it is on, then it turned off and doesn't start since. Pressing the power button results in a delayed flash, followed by a short. very faint buzzing sound coming from the CPU(as if it was trying to  turn on), and the fan trying to activate momentarily. Then it dies down and repeats every 10 or so seconds.

What i've tried:

* Reset CMOS battery

* Take out the battery and the AC adapter, let it sit unplugged for a few minutes, then replug

* Take out the battery and the AC, hold the power button to drain residual charge, plug in the AC. try to turn on

* Reseat RAM under the keyboard

* Take out RAM and try to launch the PC without RAM 

No difference either way. I don't get to hear the error beeping without RAM and my CPU doesn't seem to receive power for more than a second or so, even when a fully charged battery is connected. Really out of my depth here, but I'm fairly sure something is damaged. It may be the power connector for the CPU, a blown out capacitor or a damaged motherboard, and I don't even know how to diagnose this.

Any ideas?

Edited by №1 Toxic Shitter

• 1 year later...

If the only thing it does is turn on keyboard backlights (no fans, no screen) it may be just a software issue. Possibly just a bricked system. Take the bottom off and look for anything that might look burnt. Any black spots on capacitors, connectors, etc. if nothing appears wrong, I would assume it might be a corrupted bios. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.
Here's what I do when I deal with a mobo that doesn't feel so good
Step 1) all the normall stuff: swap CPU (!), GPU, RAM (check all slots), HDD (!), battery, power supply, disconnect CMOS bat
Step 2) visual inspection of  mobo
Step 3) thermal imager (check microcontrollers for heating) when the mobo is off  but power is supplied. I use SEEK thermal. You won't be able to fix that yourself but you'll save time by not doing step 4 if this is the case.
Step 4) If step 3 shows no funny business, flash bios directly to chip using unbricker tool
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=CH341A+Programmer+
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=soic8+clamp&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asoic8+clamp
you'll have to flash it normally afterwards if was the case
Step 5) if nothing helped find a repair service.

Edited by ivm

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My Msi Gt-70  suddenly died as well last week.  After removing the video GPU card it started up with no problems except it now had the previously mentioned  100% fan speed problem.

I wonder if the failure was really the GPU card or the GPU card socket.  I unfortunately do not have any way to insert another card to test the socket or install the old GPU card into another MSi laptop.

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, bsponge said:

My Msi Gt-70  suddenly died as well last week.  After removing the video GPU card it started up with no problems except it now had the previously mentioned  100% fan speed problem.

I wonder if the failure was really the GPU card or the GPU card socket.  I unfortunately do not have any way to insert another card to test the socket or install the old GPU card into another MSi laptop.

Hi!

In your case, to solve mentioned  100% fan speed problem, you need to unlock hidden Advanced settings in bios setup menu, and then switch GPU from discrete to Intel integrated. 

Thanks for the reply.  I joined 3 days ago and am hopefully waiting till my status upgrades allowing me to download the unlocked Bios for the GT 70 msi-1782 model. Can you confirm that once I download the bios and flash it properly, I should be able to make the necessary changes in the advanced settings of the bios menu to fix the fan speed issue?

Again thanks for your help.

• Bios Modder
57 minutes ago, bsponge said:

Can you confirm that once I download the bios and flash it properly, I should be able to make the necessary changes in the advanced settings of the bios menu to fix the fan speed issue?

No, there is no BIOS on this forum with the settings you need unlocked.

But if you want, I can prepare BIOS with the settings you need unlocked. In this case I will need your file bios backup, from your laptop.

For creating backup of bios you can use attached backup tool. Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run  backup tool as Administrator (right click mouse, choice "Run as Administrator). Backup tool will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Post here or send me this archive "results" via PM, or upload it into any fileserver and send me the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html

• Bios Modder
4 hours ago, bsponge said:

Hi Klem,  the results file was too big to upload to this site so I uploaded it to sendspace.com.

The link is below:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ct5kyf

Let me know if you anything else. Thanks again for your help.

Ok. Check PM.