Best Secondary SSD

widezu69

I have a Corsair Performance Pro SSD for booting. I don't like the humming and vibrations from platter HDDs. I'm using a C300 SSD at the moment but I'm looking upgrade to bigger and plus the C300's potential isn't being fully utilised to it is going to a better home.

What I am looking for is a reliable, and cheap SSD. I probably don't mind SATA II but we shall see. I'm looking for something larger than 240GB. Nothing hardcore like an M4 or anything. I'm eyeing the 600GB Intel 320 but I want some opinions :)

Had a search around, seeing as I'm only using it for storage, it doesn't need aggressive read and write speeds. Sata II will do but seeing as the only good large drive is the Intel 320 600GB which costs and arm, leg and having the possible 8mb risk, I'd rather go with something else. OCZ recently released their new Petrol SSD line, a sort of value line. Similar to the Octane, just slower and cheaper. The half terabyte drive clocks in at "merely" 360/250Mb/s. If the price is right I'll grab one of those :)

If the price is nice on the OCZ go for it... But if it's not a lot cheaper than the one Jimbo posted the extra speed and dependablility is well worth it... Jimbo posted a very nice drive indeed.

I just checked here in Switzerland, and the M4 is the cheapest of the large capacity SSDs, about US $750, 490GBP.

The Intel 320 with 600GB costs quite a bit more, about $1050.

that's exactly the way I see it too Svl7. Your getting one really dependable drive going Corsair.

I see what you're saying widezu, but if it turns out that's the cheapest price/capacity ratio you'd be mad to buy anything else IMO. Paying extra for the speed would be silly, but paying more for a drive that's slower would be stupid.

• 9 months later...